End of Season Interviews

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lucic is the type of guy who will reinvent himself this summer to be better or physical damage himself trying.

Guy is a competitor and has never had a low like this. He is a smart hockey guy and I think he knows what he has to do to improve. The question is if his body can do what it needs.

He was one of those guys who came to camp in the best shape of his career this season. I'm not sur eit's a fitness thing as much as the fact that time is the fire in which we all burn.

This hasn't been "clear" at any point in his career.

Nor is there anything to suggest that he's having any sort of back problems.

As for expectations for Lucic next year? Who knows... before Christmas he was on pace for 20 goals and 60 points.

What flipped the switch for him to go from having a pretty good year to being pure garbage? No idea. We can speculate as much as we want. But we should be expecting more out of the player than 40 points.

He wasn't having that great a season beyond the raw counting numbers and even those were juiced with a ton of second assists.

Reactions: dawunderboy

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He was one of those guys who came to camp in the best shape of his career this season. I'm not sur eit's a fitness thing as much as the fact that time is the fire in which we all burn.

I think Looch made a very good point in that while he is physically able to drop a ton of weight this off-seson he doesn't know what his performance will be like after doing so. He has always been a bigger guy. What does he lose if he drops a ton of weight?

Reactions: PulYou

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think Looch made a very good point in that while he is physically able to drop a ton of weight this off-seson he doesn't know what his performance will be like after doing so. He has always been a bigger guy. What does he lose if he drops a ton of weight?

Well, he's not been a physical presence this year so I can't see how it would hurt him. If he can Jenny Craig is way to being a 30-40 point third liner, that's as much as we could probably hope for at this point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets comment on the exit interviews;

Drai, Talbot, McD interviews were solid imo. All taking responsibility, denoting ways to be better, what team needs to be doing differently.

Sekera interview was really strange. A reporter asked a not heard clearly question, Sekera immediately became uncomfortable, unnerved, and you could audibly hear somebody stating "should this even be on camera" and then they cut from his interview. His segment being cut very quickly. Something significant happened there. Anybody figure out what the question was?

Also Nuge and Klef comments were cut in midstream. Jebus Oilers, we're hardcore here, show the whole damn interview. Don't pull the plug on these players. Some things didn't make sense to me. Klef stating that last year wasn't the time to get surgery due to playoffs (no reason not to get it when season was over) Also Nuge being very satisfied with his game last season. That was odd.

Now to Lucic. Holy shit. He takes 20 secs to say first words and then stammering and talking really slow as if under the influence of pain killers or something. Just really strange not even commenting on what he's stating but how he's talking. His vocal cadence got a bit more normal as interview progressed but the first couple minutes was like an interview with a hockey version of Ozzy Osbourne. Now to content its more than obvious in the interview that Lucic doesn't really have the answers. Its doesn't rise much beyond platitiudes of confidence, would've been nice to get a break, and shit happens.

McD was uncomfortable. Worrisome to me. Eyes darting all over the place first segment. Can't imagine how much pressure these circumstances are putting on the player. Theres an intensity there where you feel like it has to be impacting him. The one odd thing McD stated was that it didn't matter whether Lucic scores. He would want a redo on that question. Not blaming the kid, it was just a poor answer. Better answer is that "hey, everybody struggles with scoring confidence, keep working it, it'll come, its important he's getting the scoring chances and we know he'll score." That would be the better answer.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Drai, Talbot, McD interviews were solid imo. All taking responsibility, denoting ways to be better, what team needs to be doing differently.

Sekera interview was really strange. A reporter asked a not heard clearly question, Sekera immediately became uncomfortable, unnerved, and you could audibly hear somebody stating "should this even be on camera" and then they cut from his interview. His segment being cut very quickly. Something significant happened there. Anybody figure out what the question was?

Also Nuge and Klef comments were cut in midstream. Jebus Oilers, we're hardcore here, show the whole damn interview. Don't pull the plug on these players. Some things didn't make sense to me. Klef stating that last year wasn't the time to get surgery due to playoffs (no reason not to get it when season was over) Also Nuge being very satisfied with his game last season. That was odd.

Now to Lucic. Holy ****. He takes 20 secs to say first words and then stammering and talking really slow as if under the influence of pain killers or something. Just really strange not even commenting on what he's stating but how he's talking. His vocal cadence got a bit more normal as interview progressed but the first couple minutes was like an interview with a hockey version of Ozzy Osbourne. Now to content its more than obvious in the interview that Lucic doesn't really have the answers. Its doesn't rise much beyond platitiudes of confidence, would've been nice to get a break, and **** happens.

McD was uncomfortable. Worrisome to me. Eyes darting all over the place first segment. Can't imagine how much pressure these circumstances are putting on the player. Theres an intensity there where you feel like it has to be impacting him. The one odd thing McD stated was that it didn't matter whether Lucic scores. He would want a redo on that question. Not blaming the kid, it was just a poor answer. Better answer is that "hey, everybody struggles with scoring confidence, keep working it, it'll come, its important he's getting the scoring chances and we know he'll score." That would be the better answer.

He's right. Lucic was bought in to create space and protect the offensive stars and provide a little offence. You still need 20-20 or 15-25 from him but I'm sure his teammates are glad he's an Oiler. It's just not ideal to not produce when you're making more then David Clarkson.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
With how confused and lost Lucic looked and sounded in his interview, I think he has a bright future on a McLellan lead coaching staff.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Wish how confused and lost Lucic looked and sounded in his interview, I think he has a bright future on a McLellan lead coaching staff.

Wow. The guy went through the a horrible season and doesn't really understand why things were so bad. Gotta pile on.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wow. The guy went through the a horrible season and doesn't really understand why things were so bad. Gotta pile on.

Which is exactly the quality that appears to be acceptable in our coaching staff. Is not a compliment to say a guy has a good post-player career ahead of him? :naughty:

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I think McDavid had a point there saying Lucic brings much more to the table than only scoring. So the team seems to think Lucic is an important "piece to the puzzle" for them.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Which is exactly the quality that appears to be acceptable in our coaching staff. Is not a compliment to say a guy has a good post-player career ahead of him? :naughty:

That's just cruel man. Looch is at a loss. His hands turned to stone. He gets that the game has passed him by.

Four years left on his contract at $6M per, I'm cheering for him for the best interest of the team.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He wasn't having that great a season beyond the raw counting numbers and even those were juiced with a ton of second assists.

Ya guys like Maroon and Gryba had weight to lose. Lucic doesn’t. Dropping weight means losing muscle mass, and that’s not necessarily the answer

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
3364311070_4dca09797a.jpg

GM in hiding. They can't see you if you don't move.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

Now to Lucic. Holy ****. He takes 20 secs to say first words and then stammering and talking really slow as if under the influence of pain killers or something. Just really strange not even commenting on what he's stating but how he's talking. His vocal cadence got a bit more normal as interview progressed but the first couple minutes was like an interview with a hockey version of Ozzy Osbourne. Now to content its more than obvious in the interview that Lucic doesn't really have the answers. Its doesn't rise much beyond platitiudes of confidence, would've been nice to get a break, and **** happens.

Curious about the bolded.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That's just cruel man. Looch is at a loss. His hands turned to stone. He gets that the game has passed him by.

Four years left on his contract at $6M per, I'm cheering for him for the best interest of the team.

cough5yearscough

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With how confused and lost Lucic looked and sounded in his interview, I think he has a bright future on a McLellan lead coaching staff.

Lucic looked confused and slow in the interview than he does on the ice. I had a grin during it when I thought of a pass coming to him and his typical delayed response to it. Lucic is talking like his brain is processing at half speed.

That aside its gotta be awkward having 15 microphones and camera on you when you have to explain a way dogging it for half the season. Its not like Lucic can say "I just shut it down at Xmas" which is pretty evident.

Nobody can substantiate that this player was bringing the ame game in Jan, Feb, Mar, that he was bringing in December when he was actually good. Every facet of play dropped off a cliff. Just the alst couple weeks he started to play harder (albeit without results)

You could see this player could virtually flip a switch and at least play harder and with more intent like he did in the Flames game. That was the one game where he was plugged in the most. You could tell. Not surprisingly it was the first fight he had since November, and again you could tell from his engagement in that game.

Lucic in the past has even talked about how hard it is for him to get engaged and activated in games. How is it possible to be acceptable to not do that for a 40 game stretch?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Well, he's not been a physical presence this year so I can't see how it would hurt him. If he can Jenny Craig is way to being a 30-40 point third liner, that's as much as we could probably hope for at this point.

This is not true.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Ya guys like Maroon and Gryba had weight to lose. Lucic doesn’t. Dropping weight means losing muscle mass, and that’s not necessarily the answer

Perhaps less strength training and more endurance and explosiveness. Same with less MMA and boxing and more stick handling, shooting, skating drills.

I don't personally think he needs to drop huge amounts of weight, he's a specimen not carrying extra... just needs a little refocus. Someone previously mentioned a sports psychologist, that might be a good idea as well.

Meanwhile thanks for posting the info on his back, I think there was a lot of misconception around here about that.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Finally watched the last half of Lucic's interview. Very nice to hear him admit that hitting the heavy weights was not the best idea. No idea how the org and himself did not come to that conclusion last year, but better late than never. He doesn't need a body builder upper body anymore. You are losing nothing by not building up like a pro bodybuilder in your upper body. His huge upper body was a liability if anything, it makes him easier to knock off balance when he is standing still, leading to loads of lost puck battles on the boards and around the net all year. He can't just be a bowling ball with a stick on the rush anymore, he's not fast enough in this league and D are getting too good at stick checking, he needs to figure out how to be useful in puck battles.

Now that he gets that a 235lb upside down triangle bodybuilder physique with low body fat may be very impressive on paper and in front of a mirror, but not ideal for today's NHL, good luck this summer Lucic, this team BADLY needs you to figure it out.

Last edited:

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Lucic looked confused and slow in the interview than he does on the ice. I had a grin during it when I thought of a pass coming to him and his typical delayed response to it. Lucic is talking like his brain is processing at half speed.

That aside its gotta be awkward having 15 microphones and camera on you when you have to explain a way dogging it for half the season. Its not like Lucic can say "I just shut it down at Xmas" which is pretty evident.

Nobody can substantiate that this player was bringing the ame game in Jan, Feb, Mar, that he was bringing in December when he was actually good. Every facet of play dropped off a cliff. Just the alst couple weeks he started to play harder (albeit without results)

You could see this player could virtually flip a switch and at least play harder and with more intent like he did in the Flames game. That was the one game where he was plugged in the most. You could tell. Not surprisingly it was the first fight he had since November, and again you could tell from his engagement in that game.

Lucic in the past has even talked about how hard it is for him to get engaged and activated in games. How is it possible to be acceptable to not do that for a 40 game stretch?

Aside from the coach elevating his roll and minutes instead of dropping him to the third line with 2nd line spot duty to get him rolling the biggest issue id say was the inability of this team to kill a penalty.

Todd n co's awesome pk had them all afraid to take a penalty and that just neutered looch as he couldn't afford to get tagged for being too enthusiastic with the physical play. Plus throwing the body on the first line has him in a different time zone as the play transitions with connors speed.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Honestly, this focus on foot speed has to die. DeBrusk has said it countless times: other teams are "fast" largely because the puck-moving is getting faster and smarter, not because their skaters are Pavel Bure-ing their way past defensemen. They are developing systems which focus on efficient puck movement and explosive shooting, and we have a team who (a) more often than not relies on a skating McDavid, Drai, Nurse or Slepyshev to even get the puck past the red line, and (b) dusts the puck off like it's a thanksgiving centerpiece and the in-laws are on their way over.

Systems, group intelligence, quick puck movement. That's what we need, and Lucic can help, even if he's only got average foot speed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly, this focus on foot speed has to die. DeBrusk has said it countless times: other teams are "fast" largely because the puck-moving is getting faster and smarter, not because their skaters are Pavel Bure-ing their way past defensemen. They are developing systems which focus on efficient puck movement and explosive shooting, and we have a team who (a) more often than not relies on a skating McDavid, Drai, Nurse or Slepyshev to even get the puck past the red line, and (b) dusts the puck off like it's a thanksgiving centerpiece and the in-laws are on their way over.

Systems, group intelligence, quick puck movement. That's what we need, and Lucic can help, even if he's only got average foot speed.

You need to have people who can make plays (ideally at a high rate of speed). This team only has 3 players that can do that and they all naturally play the same position.

That's kinda the problem. That and they are generally a slow team in terms of foot speed.

I mean watching down the stretch here I lost count of how many times McDavid passed back to the D only to have them stand there and not do anything with the puck. Nurse, Larsson, Russell, they're all guilty of it. Sekera will just auto-shoot into shin pads.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You need to have people who can make plays (ideally at a high rate of speed). This team only has 3 players that can do that and they all naturally play the same position.

That's kinda the problem. That and they are generally a slow team in terms of foot speed.

I mean watching down the stretch here I lost count of how many times McDavid passed back to the D only to have them stand there and not do anything with the puck. Nurse, Larsson, Russell, they're all guilty of it. Sekera will just auto-shoot into shin pads.

I'd say last year, Sek and Klef were pretty good consistent puck movers on the back end. Unfortunately, both guys were broken this year. We pretty much went this whole year with 0 consistent and effective puck movers on the back end. Larsson is a mix of dumps and passes, but he usually needs guys pretty close to him to actually hit a teammate. Nurse is good at transporting, but not really passing yet. Russell is almost totally off and around the boards. Benning was better a year ago, but super inconsistent this year.

Need Sek and Klef back to 100% next year, and to add at least 1 more good puck mover this summer if we want a chance to have a fast transition again when McDavid isn't on the ice. Even with that though, if the same Lucic as this year shows up, he will still be the guy standing still throwing hot potato passes to the first guy he sees hoping someone else will carry the puck up the ice for him. He absolutely cannot just hope the team gets faster around him and that will hide his slowness and lack of usefulness in transition. Needs to get his butt to work this summer and make a big change.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00