Elmira Coming Back To Minor League Hockey????

chief fan

Mar 24, 2019
I'd love to see the Chiefs back in the ECHL too, but I don't think it is viable any longer. Their NAHL team isn't doing that bad though. They've been top five in the league in attendance most years, usually over 2000 per game on average. Looks like last year they played with no fans, so coming back from the pandemic this year is probably going to be down a bit, but they are still doing 1575 a game on average, which is sixth in the league. I have friends up there who enjoy the games. Some of them go regularly, some split their time between Tomahawks, Penguins and Nailers games. I think at that level it should be more about skill building than going out there trying to lay the big check or getting in a fight. I've been watching hockey a long time, and my views have changed. Expecting the players to go out there and risk permanent brain damage for my entertainment is not what I'm looking for anymore - especially teenagers in tier 2 juniors. This is about hoping to get recruited to a college program for most of those kids, not about NHL contracts and millions of dollars.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Don't forget they would not even "Prop up" Augusta, Fresno, or San Francisco to help them finish their seasons
I am fairly confident the ECHL is in a different place as a league now than they were with those teams. Not that the ECHL is going to pull an NHL like Arizona and fund losses to save face, but I think the league has a different makeup to it now with a semi equal number of teams falling into one of three grades of owners/profit margins/organizational goals

Hit Em Hoss

Nov 23, 2021
I am fairly confident the ECHL is in a different place as a league now than they were with those teams. Not that the ECHL is going to pull an NHL like Arizona and fund losses to save face, but I think the league has a different makeup to it now with a semi equal number of teams falling into one of three grades of owners/profit margins/organizational goals

The kings of the IHL2.0 the Frankes are an ownership group in this league though.

Hit Em Hoss

Nov 23, 2021
LOL wow $1 a year in rent? Is this some kinda sick joke? I have no idea how much Afr paid to own the building(well actually it was never confirmed if he owned it or not the deal was always kept secret.)the more and more time goes by I feel like it was owned by STED(Southern Tier Economic Development)or the IDA(I believe they are one in the same and changed their name or abbreviation.) But when shit hit the fan back in the day I remember that Afr was the operator and not really responsible for maintaining. The finances were kept secret so nobody knew what those books looked like. This deal looks shady on paper but they're telling you the alleged fiscal components upfront. Capital fund though that money could end up anywhere at the end of the day and nobody would know.

The more and more things "change" they seem to stay the same. Nobody knows what Robbie paid for rent but I'm sure it wasn't a dollar a year. He also had an option to own. The fact these people botched for years they had interested parties but wanted any buyer to also take on the debt makes this puzzling. The whole song and dance with hockey first and trying to bring in the college for hockey while making it this many use facility was sold from day one. It's the same spiel with a different tenant. I find it funny 6 days after the agreement was signed they changed the LLC name.

The whole rinse and repeat strategy never goes well. It's no different then how the past couple of years on a mass scale we have "gone through aomething" nd you can see the signs coming that we are about to go back to square one. That signals failure but people will go along with the repeat all over again because you know examples like this. Juat a new leadership group selling the same picture in a different light.

First Arena tenants to pay $1 a year rent, Nichols barred from management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad