Elliotte Friedman

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The sad thing is that he's actually done a really good job outside of this one gaffe, especially considering the situation he was put into.

And the timing on this one mistake was just horrible. He's probably called 100 heats over the last week, and just happened to make this mistake in the biggest final of the entire meet instead of some morning heat that nobody cared about.

Last night he slipped up twice, though, and in the two biggest races. Phelps, and Oleksiak. A night to forget, for him, definitely. :laugh:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Ok mispronouncing or flubbing a name, who knows, you're mind can be racing or thinking something else, is one thing. Yes that's a gaffe. However, totally calling a race wrong and/or confusing any swimmer for Phelps isn't a gaffe, that's a pretty ludicrous mistake.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's one of the most likable media personalities. He's an analyst, not a play-by-play guy. I feel bad for him.

Anyone bothered by this needs to get a life. The man made a mistake.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region

Friedman has always been an well-respected, excellent analyst who has a ton of respect around the sports broadcasting world and it's a very positive reflection on his attitude and individual work ethic that he takes such obvious pride in his work and is willing to own up to his mistakes when they occur.

There are plenty of people that would refuse to address what happened last night in such an open and transparent manner, but he's accepted full responsibility for his pair of gaffes and committed to getting better.

I don't know of any fans that respect him or his talent as a broadcaster any less for what happened. It could have happened to anyone, especially one that was tossed into an unfamiliar situation at the eleventh hour (in a sport of which they have limited knowledge of to boot), and forced to call one of the biggest events in their country's history. He was quite good for most of the swimming events previously, so hopefully he can get over this and do a great call tonight and tomorrow for the Canadian medal hopefuls. Mistakes happen, even to the best of us. Owning up to them is the important part.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Nice to see the, largely, understanding reaction to EF's gaffe. He was put in, perhaps, the most difficult spot in TV Sports and handled it with the honesty and straightforwardness that I have come to expect.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
That's rough... But it's Canada... Not like he's being broadcast in the us where people cared.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
18uyzm.jpg

I know he doesn't want sympathy, but come on man. You're a hockey analyst and insider, not a play by play guy. **** happens.

JA

Did he slip up again tonight?

Coulda been worse, at least he didn't call her Missy Franklin or something. :laugh:
He caught himself almost proclaiming Katie Ledecky as "the incomparable Casey Ledecky" when she finished the 800m freestyle today.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I hope he finally had something to eat and got some sleep. He is being very hard on himself but has received a ton of support. I feel awful for him, he's thrown into a sport he doesn't cover, has to do pbp, has an over-talkative homer analyst next to him and outside of a couple of swimmers has probably never heard of them. It's like throwing a swimming commentator into the Stanley Cup final with Pierre Maguire in your ear.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Guaranteed if McGuire calls any Stars games on NBC, he'll bring up Penny Oleksiak when talking about Jamie.

Then he'll do it again, later in the game, in case we didn't hear him the first time.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
He was parachuted into the role pretty late as Steve Armitage was supposed to do swimming but had some health issues and couldn't go to Rio. I don't know for a fact, but I imagine Friedman was originally supposed to do what David Amber is doing. He's doing ok for someone who never does play-by-play; he's certainly a total pro when it comes to broadcasting.

To explain the health issues Armitage faces.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/steve-armitage-miss-olympics-due-chronic-heart-problems.html

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
https://streamable.com/0s9a

for those who haven't heard it

First time seeing it. I was watching in a lounge when it happened on NBC but was seeing on Twitter his apology and all this other stuff. It's good to see he is owning it but he's not a PbP guy and it seems like he took the role after some unfortunate circumstances. I can't blame the guy, he's not exactly a swimming expert and is an analyst. Elliotte is a good guy and I hope he can enjoy the experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad