Elliotte Friedman

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Phelps won is inexcusable. He's literally swimming for a record, there's no reason to even watch anybody but him and yet he screwed it up.

I don't know who else was up in the booth with him during that race, but he said something along the lines of, him making a comment that may have confused Friedman and got him to mix up who was in each lane. Really not that big a deal....but of course embarrassing for Friedman, and he apologized immediately upon realizing his mistake.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The guy is almost universally loved across the country, so he'll get through this fine albeit with some bad memories and youtube videos. Lots of people were jumping to his defence on Twitter.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Steve Armitage used to mess up in his play by play all the time because of how excited he got. The mistakes from Friedman actually give the swimming broadcasts a nice familiarity.

I remember Armitage mixing up Catriona Lemay-Doan and Susan Auch when they were skating against each other for the Gold medal. Luckily for him, it was in Nagano (middle of the night in Canada), so he was able to redo the call for the next day.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Literally hundreds of esteemed play by play announcers, writers and analysts comforting him on twitter including Bob McKenzie and Bruce Arthur. Could happen to anybody honestly. He was also not really expecting to do play by play and it was kinda forced on him.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
He should never have been put in this position. Obviously the guy has no clue about swimming. I mean, if you can't tell the physical difference between Phelps and Lochte, let alone the lanes, apart, you've never seen swimming before. It's like pulling a guy off the street to do the commentary.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He should never have been put in this position. Obviously the guy has no clue about swimming. I mean, if you can't tell the physical difference between Phelps and Lochte, let alone the lanes, apart, you've never seen swimming before. It's like pulling a guy off the street to do the commentary.
That's kind of what happened. Friedman was supposed to be the sideline reporter for aquatics, with Steve Armitage doing the play-by-play. Armitage announced a week before the Olympics that health problems wouldn't allow him to go, so Friedman was a last minute replacement.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
That's kind of what happened. Friedman was supposed to be the sideline reporter for aquatics, with Steve Armitage doing the play-by-play. Armitage announced a week before the Olympics that health problems wouldn't allow him to go, so Friedman was a last minute replacement.
That's brutal on him. He probably has had no time to learn about the swimmers or provide interesting facts or anything.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Typical stupid Canadian TV Sports management decision. Put a highly respected guy in a position he has no experience or expertise in. Have him make a fool of himself and perhaps scar him for life. Good job CBC.You should be ashamed of yourself.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Typical stupid Canadian TV Sports management decision. Put a highly respected guy in a position he has no experience or expertise in. Have him make a fool of himself and perhaps scar him for life. Good job CBC.You should be ashamed of yourself.

he's not an intern you know.
I'm sure Friedman will live.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
There is a huge difference between being an analyst and PxP. Don't recall EF ever calling a hockey game or anything for that matter.

he hasn't. but. until tonight Elliotte was doing fine. He made a mistake, he got his lanes mixed up. it's not a "stupid Canadian Sports tv thing." it's a mistake. it happens.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
he hasn't. but. until tonight Elliotte was doing fine. He made a mistake, he got his lanes mixed up. it's not a "stupid Canadian Sports tv thing." it's a mistake. it happens.

I wasn't calling him stupid. I was calling whomever put him in that position stupid. Calling PxP is the toughest job in TV Sports, both professionally and psychologically. You may also have noticed I started this thread long before he blew the call.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Steve Harvey was seen laughing at Elliotte Friedman's call of the Phelps race

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's a great reporter/journalist but he's not a PBP guy. It was incredibly embarrassing for him and watching it live last night was painful.

He won't be picked to do the job again...

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Is there any good quality video of the Phelps mixup? Can't find it on the CBC website which isn't a surprise.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For heaven's sake. It's like the poor guy shot a puppy after poisoning it and then strangled it before running it over with his car. Some people need to chill.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He's a great reporter/journalist but he's not a PBP guy. It was incredibly embarrassing for him and watching it live last night was painful.

He won't be picked to do the job again...

not sure he'll want to do the job again lmao

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Meh, making a mistake as a broadcaster reminds me of that famous Jacques Plante quote about goaltending. He apologized, and I'm not gonna question his professionalism or dedication to his craft for this one incident.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Meh, making a mistake as a broadcaster reminds me of that famous Jacques Plante quote about goaltending. He apologized, and I'm not gonna question his professionalism or dedication to his craft for this one incident.

The sad thing is that he's actually done a really good job outside of this one gaffe, especially considering the situation he was put into.

And the timing on this one mistake was just horrible. He's probably called 100 heats over the last week, and just happened to make this mistake in the biggest final of the entire meet instead of some morning heat that nobody cared about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad