Speculation: Elliotte Friedman on Matthews speculation with his next contract

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So do the Raptors, Argos and TFC require a spokensperson for a couple million a year each?

I think it's interesting that Scotiabank signed a deal with the Leafs and soon after introduced Matthews as a spokesman.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With an organization having tight lips, these reporters have to speculate. But not all of their info is necessarily conjecture. Agents love to float information/propaganda and disgruntled employees can become talkative even if it's to their detriment from getting another gig - who hires someone who readily starts blabbing to the media if things haven't gone his way?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't care, if Matthews gets 10+ it's an overpay. I would like more information on the nature of his back and general health though. Without that and seeing his performance in this PO, I would need another season to evaluate before handing out some massive team crippling McDavid money.

Reactions: Nazem to Nylander

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He really let me down, him and Nylander both. I really don't know if I would go long term. The next CBA has cap clawback written all over it.

This new pay for potential scheme has building around UFA players written all over it.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Don't care, if Matthews gets 10+ it's an overpay. I would like more information on the nature of his back and general health though. Without that and seeing his performance in this PO, I would need another season to evaluate before handing out some massive team crippling McDavid money.
So you would bridge Matthews and potentially pay him McDavid money or more at the end of the bridge?

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Wow! Never changed HF board. The kid (and lets face it, he is still a kid) has some early injury issues that probably derailed an 80 to 90 point season, and that also contributed to a mediocre playoff series, and suddenly he's Glass Body Lupul and we should low ball him in contract negotiations?

This franchise has waited FOREVER for a player of his calibre and potential. And now because he had a slight sophomore slump, you want to play hard ball?

Unless you're the Oilers or the Pens, getting the opportunity to draft and develop a generational, or at least an elite franchise player, especially a centre, with the top pick doesn't come up very often (it's only happened twice in this franchise's history). We will probably never have the opportunity to develop a player of this magnitude again. We have to roll the dice and see what we've got. If injuries stall his development, then so be it. But I'd rather that than see him flourish somewhere else because we gave up on him.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He really let me down, him and Nylander both. I really don't know if I would go long term. The next CBA has cap clawback written all over it.

This new pay for potential scheme has building around UFA players written all over it.

it's the RFA contracts that are becoming a problem(thanks Chiapet), UFA's, rarely if ever move if still in their 20's

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
it's the RFA contracts that are becoming a problem(thanks Chiapet), UFA's, rarely if ever move if still in their 20's

My favorite part was guys like Burke having meltdowns over offersheets inflating the RFA market only to go and overpay their own RFAs without any external pressure.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My favorite part was guys like Burke having meltdowns over offersheets inflating the RFA market only to go and overpay their own RFAs without any external pressure.
The funnier thing or I guess you call it hypocritical thing about Brian Burke and his meltdown when Dustin Penner signed that offer sheet is that he was considering giving one to Phil Kessel before he traded for him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The funnier thing or I guess you call it hypocritical thing about Brian Burke and his meltdown when Dustin Penner signed that offer sheet is that he was considering giving one to Phil Kessel before he traded for him.
Burke never had a problem with offer sheets, he had a problem with being blind sided by an offer sheet as was the case with Penner.
Nothing hypocritical about that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No just pointing out your oversight.

I wouldn't take it too literally. The Calder is nice but Matthews hasn't gotten that kind of hardware, he hasn't broken 100 points twice in his career. He hasn't taken his team to a conference semi-finals

Now McDavid is on a team and it's not all on him. I can just as easily say that we've made the playoffs 2 years in a row with Matthews and McDavid's teams have missed it 2/3 of his years. Individually though, McDavid is on another level. Matthews is good but deserves 10-11M at most.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The change of agents probably means nothing. Leafs have Matthews under control for five more years. If it happens some team makes an offer sheet so large the Leafs can't/won't match it, it's a four first rounders.

But if the Leafs and Matthews don't come to agreement on a long term contract, the Leafs still control his NHL movement. Heck maybe Matthews doesn't even want a long term deal yet.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Little off topic, but..........

I'm tired of hearing this BS that Matthews could go more than McDavid because the cap is going up and it's all about the percentage of the cap. What a load...

I'm sure Matthew's agent may see that as a valid argument but no way Dubas or any management gives it a second thought.

McDavid set the mark at $12.5M, not 16.67% of cap. Horse-patties!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I'm tired of hearing this BS that Matthews could go more than McDavid because the cap is going up and it's all about the percentage of the cap. What a load...

I'm sure Matthew's agent may see that as a valid argument but no way Dubas or any management gives it a second thought.

By your logic the Oilers should have said no way he gets more than Crosby money. Salaries should have frozen with Sid as the top guy.

I don't think he commands 12 mil but inflation is a real thing.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I don't think I've seen anyone say that Matthews should be making more than McDavid. Eichel makes sense though and with cap % that could be more than 10m.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he’s smart he’ll ask for 5 yrs somewhere around 9 million or the max for 8 years.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
By your logic the Oilers should have said no way he gets more than Crosby money. Salaries should have frozen with Sid as the top guy.

I don't think he commands 12 mil but inflation is a real thing.
Salaries largely froze under Sid, and he was known to have taken less to keep his hit at 8.7, only ones who got more were Malkin and Ovi, both were Sid-esque when they signed.

It wasn't until the CBA rules changed when those numbers were surpassed. I expect McDavid will now act as the individual player cap.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Salaries largely froze under Sid, and he was known to have taken less to keep his hit at 8.7, only ones who got more were Malkin and Ovi, both were Sid-esque when they signed.

It wasn't until the CBA rules changed when those numbers were surpassed. I expect McDavid will now act as the individual player cap.

He probably will be. The only way I see anyone getting more is a desperate free agent bid like Karlsson or Taveres. As it is I think 12.5 really throws a team's budget off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad