Prospect Info: Elias Salomonsson, 2022 NHL Draft, #55 Overall

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yeah so glad he spent high picks on Stanley, Vesalainen, Jack Glover, Nic Petan, Lukas Sutter, Luke Green, Jimmy Lodge and Daniel Torgersson :sarcasm:
None of those guys were expected to be picked earlier. They didn't fall in the draft and are not the types of picks I was referring to.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Salomonsson playing at noon, I can't watch it but looking forward to hearing from the people who can!

None

Feb 22, 2012
Salomonsson turned the puck over in the offensive zone while passing it from his off-side along the line and it eventually led to a goal against.

Reactions: Atoyot

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nice hearing Mitch Peacock handling the play by play. Would have been a better option for the Jets radio PbP, imo.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Salomonsson turned the puck over in the offensive zone while passing it from his off-side along the line and it eventually led to a goal against.
How'd he look otherwise? Sucks that that was the only goal of the game. Guess I chose a good one to miss.

None

Feb 22, 2012
How'd he look otherwise? Sucks that that was the only goal of the game. Guess I chose a good one to miss.

He was super active for better or for worse. At times it felt like he was forcing things and they just weren't clicking and at other times it seemed like his teammates were just playing at a completely different pace and couldn't keep up. I thought he looked a lot better last game. I didn't really see the same defensive poise from him today. A little sloppy with his gap control and looked panicked at times defending players in motion in front of his net.

As an aside I think he might be one of the fastest skating defensemen we've drafted. There was a point in the game where he was breaking down the wing to create a 2 on 2 through the neutral zone and his teammate carrying the puck was 6-8 feet ahead at full stride and Salomonsson closed the distance and had to slow down to stop from going offside.

The flashes of skill make me excited; I think his offensive potential is still there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He was super active for better or for worse. At times it felt like he was forcing things and they just weren't clicking and at other times it seemed like his teammates were just playing at a completely different pace and couldn't keep up. I thought he looked a lot better last game. I didn't really see the same defensive poise from him today. A little sloppy with his gap control and looked panicked at times defending players in motion in front of his net.

As an aside I think he might be one of the fastest skating defensemen we've drafted. There was a point in the game where he was breaking down the wing to create a 2 on 2 through the neutral zone and his teammate carrying the puck was 6-8 feet ahead at full stride and Salomonsson closed the distance and had to slow down to stop from going offside.

The flashes of skill make me excited; I think his offensive potential is still there.
This is a good summary. My impression is that he has terrific tools. He's got pretty good size and reach, is a fantastic skater, and has good instincts and vision. His shot is a plus. As he gets more experience at a high level, I expect that he'll refine his game with the puck. Remember, he just turned 19, so he has room to develop physically and in terms of game refinement. He and Samberg are a couple of young D that I think complement each other well, and seem likely to be able to manage 2nd pair responsibilities. They might also be able to take top-pair minutes (e.g. Morrissey-Salomonsson).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Looking back at the 2022 Draft Black Book on Alfie is pretty fascinating.

The reviews are all over the map and the scouting reports are quite mixed. What I find most interesting is Mark Edwards really liked him but he said he couldn’t get the buy in from his team to rank him higher (correction it was their Sweeden based Scout who really like Elias)

Brad Allen said “If he could think the game like Simon Nemec he would be a top 3 player in the draft”. Other guys saying he looks like a top 10 player one night then a 5th rounder the next night. What dropped him to #40 in their ranking was his inconsistency.

They said he is one of the best (if not the best) skaters in his draft class and his ability to recover was something they haven’t seen since K’Andre Miller. Also love his shooting mechanics.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Bumping this up because we need to talk more about Elias Salomonsson. Between him, Lambert, McGroarty, Lucius, and Barlow, The next wave of prospects is going to be very interesting as soon as next training camp.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Bumping this up because we need to talk more about Elias Salomonsson. Between him, Lambert, McGroarty, Lucius, and Barlow, The next wave of prospects is going to be very interesting as soon as next training camp.

I'm getting pretty excited about Salomonsson after reading that article. I think he could be a 2nd round steal for the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Salomonsson just continues to get better. He's still just 19 and a top D in the SHL, but he's also improving week by week. His ceiling is a #1-2 D, in my view. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become at least a really solid, big minute 2nd pair RD.

His skating is absolutely dynamic... Heiskanen level. It opens up a lot of transition offense opportunities and he is already really solid defensively.

Salomonsson just continues to get better. He's still just 19 and a top D in the SHL, but he's also improving week by week. His ceiling is a #1-2 D, in my view. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become at least a really solid, big minute 2nd pair RD.

His skating is absolutely dynamic... Heiskanen level. It opens up a lot of transition offense opportunities and he is already really solid defensively.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

So nice you said it thrice ;)

hn777

Apr 22, 2019

How can I like this post three times?:naughty:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Thats’s awesome. That’s awesome. That’s awesome.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So nice you said it thrice ;)

Once for each syllable in the young fella's name?

I found that @Whileee post both informative and strangely hypnotic...

Looking forward to seeing him over here for '24 and licking my chops at the prospect of an infusion of prospect skill with he and Heinola hopefully getting close and Samberg and maybe Stanley continuing to mature.

If we can hang onto Demelo for another 2-3 years and perhaps extend JMo for a bit we should be in decent shape going forward.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

This is the Greek Orthodox Wedding version of a scouting report lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Once for each syllable in the young fella's name?

I found that @Whileee post both informative and strangely hypnotic...

Looking forward to seeing him over here for '24 and licking my chops at the prospect of an infusion of prospect skill with he and Heinola hopefully getting close and Samberg and maybe Stanley continuing to mature.

If we can hang onto Demelo for another 2-3 years and perhaps extend JMo for a bit we should be in decent shape going forward.
Lol...

I have no idea why it posted the same content x3.

Half the time this site glitches repeatedly on my phone.

Conversely, I do feel strongly about Salomonsson. 🙂

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Lol...

I have no idea why it posted the same content x3.

Half the time this site glitches repeatedly on my phone.

Conversely, I do feel strongly about Salomonsson. 🙂
Agreed, site glitches get extremely annoying when try to make a long winded post.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Been fantastic in the playoffs, will be interesting to see if he takes a step back with Skellefteå's 1D (who has a good shot at winning the SHL's Norris trophy) making his playoffs debut in their next game, or keeps it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad