Prospect Info: Elias Salomonsson, 2022 NHL Draft, #55 Overall

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Really liked Salomonsson's play in the first CHL game. Here's a clip of part of his first shift (#44). Starts with a tight gap forcing a turnover, but then a really nice example of puck movement, using his feet / agility to escape the first wave, and then a crisp pass to set up the transition. A good example of his strengths as a D.

✂️ Salomonsson clip
very nice sequence for him

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Fun familiar face on the Czech team, with Jan Kostalek playing top pairing, #33.

Salomonsson with a beautiful assist, Hugg as well with a very nice secondary assist.

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I'm glad Chevy is apt at catching falling talent.
Lambert is the best example of this but there are other high picks of Chevy's that could have gone much earlier without being considered a reach.
A few no brainers in early first round. But not any gems outside of top 15 picks.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think he is saying we have sucked in the 20-30 range and that our failures there and our successes later in mid rounds aren't the same?

Our hidden gems have all been mid rounds not later 1sts
Have we had a late round hit since Geise left?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Have we had a late round hit since Geise left?

Max Giese only left last year. A single draft without him thus far.

Personally I wasn't super thrilled with our 2023 draft past the 1st round, not that we had many picks.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Max Giese only left last year. A single draft without him thus far.

Personally I wasn't super thrilled with our 2023 draft past the 1st round, not that we had many picks.
Hmm I thought he left before covid... I guess there's only Mark Hillier to blame for our average drafting then.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Samberg and Salomonsson look like they could be good 2nd pair D, picked in round 2.

Salomonsson imo has a shot at first pair if his offense develops as I think it can.

Snerg looks poised for the second paring.

Hopefully Heinola breaks out and is able to get to top 4.

Wouldn't this be nice in the future:

JoMo Salomonsson
Snerg Heinola
Chisholm xxx

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Salomonsson imo has a shot at first pair if his offense develops as I think it can.

Snerg looks poised for the second paring.

Hopefully Heinola breaks out and is able to get to top 4.

Wouldn't this be nice in the future:

JoMo Salomonsson
Snerg Heinola
Chisholm xxx
Salomonsson and Chisholm are pretty similar. I think Chisholm has about the same odds as Salomonsson to become a top 4.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Salomonsson and Chisholm are pretty similar. I think Chisholm has about the same odds as Salomonsson to become a top 4.

Yeah I can see that. I'd say Salmonsson is more advanced in his own end at a similar age though which, that plus being a RD elevates his likelihood of cracking our top 4.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Samberg and Salomonsson look like they could be good 2nd pair D, picked in round 2.
Samberg is 24, he's pretty close to being whatever it is he's going to be. Second pair isn't out of the question, but he was heavily sheltered last year, so we don't really know how he'll adapt to second pair min.

Salomonsson just turned 19 a couple days ago, if he'd been born a few weeks later he'd have been eligible for the 2023 draft. IMO he has the tools to be a top pair RHD and that's what we should be hoping for out of him.

Reactions: hn777 and scelaton

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Samberg is 24, he's pretty close to being whatever it is he's going to be. Second pair isn't out of the question, but he was heavily sheltered last year, so we don't really know how he'll adapt to second pair min.

Salomonsson just turned 19 a couple days ago, if he'd been born a few weeks later he'd have been eligible for the 2023 draft. IMO he has the tools to be a top pair RHD and that's what we should be hoping for out of him.
You might be right about Samberg, but my view is that he was ready to make an impact earlier in his career, and certainly this season.

Even adjusting for his usage and opponents, his performance was outstanding (see below). He was also very strong in the playoffs, in my view.

Screenshot_20230903-213834.png

Reactions: hn777 and WolfHouse

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Berg is what he is skill wise, but can still grow from confidence and confidence team has in him.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

You might be right about Samberg, but my view is that he was ready to make an impact earlier in his career, and certainly this season.

Even adjusting for his usage and opponents, his performance was outstanding (see below). He was also very strong in the playoffs, in my view.

View attachment 740843

My take on Samberg is that he was slow played.

I believe Dylan has the ability to defend at a top 4 level “comfortably” and I think he is already better defensively than Schmidt, Pionk, and Stanley. His 4 way mobility, neutral zone angles and pressure, gap control, pivots, retrieval, stick, and D technique in general are all really sound fundamentally. That’s his strength.

Where I am less sure will be in puck security, first pass selection, avoiding loose handling gaffs, and brain farts. I believe he can adapt to the next level of pressure he just needs to keep it simple.

Looking forward to watching him step up in competition.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm glad Chevy is apt at catching falling talent.
Lambert is the best example of this but there are other high picks of Chevy's that could have gone much earlier without being considered a reach.
Yeah so glad he spent high picks on Stanley, Vesalainen, Jack Glover, Nic Petan, Lukas Sutter, Luke Green, Jimmy Lodge and Daniel Torgersson :sarcasm:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah so glad he spent high picks on Stanley, Vesalainen, Jack Glover, Nic Petan, Lukas Sutter, Luke Green, Jimmy Lodge and Daniel Torgersson :sarcasm:
I have no problem with him taking Petan in the 2nd round. It was a good gamble.
If Petan would have adjusted his game just a bit, I think he would have been a very useful player to have on the team. Someone who could move up and down the lineup easily.
He had all the talent he needed.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I have no problem with him taking Petan in the 2nd round. It was a good gamble.
If Petan would have adjusted his game just a bit, I think he would have been a very useful player to have on the team. Someone who could move up and down the lineup easily.
He had all the talent he needed.

Oh for sure. He just needed to look at Perreault and how he played to know what to do. He just played like 5'9 Joe Thornton unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: ps241

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Big year for Torgersson this year to get him off your shit list. I think there is still hope there.

Not really my shit list, just trying to be realistic. I had/have high hopes for all of them when we picked them as well, but the statement that Chevy has been good at extracting gems from the "later" high picks (in my mind 20ish-80ish overall) simply isn't true. We're no better or worse than any other team there, and quite frankly our 2nd and 3rd round picks have mostly been below average. We haven't turned anyone in that range into a Jason Robertson or a Brayden Point. You can also add Serville, Kosmachuk, Foley, and hopefully not but maybe soon Simon Lundmark to the list of late 1st - 2nd - 3rd rounders that we got little to no NHL value out of.

If anything, we've been slightly better than average at finding useful players in the late rounds (Copp, Hellebuyck, Appleton, Poolman, Chisholm, Gawanke, etc.)

As a whole our drafting has been solid but unremarkable. The notion from the earlier years that we are some stalwart drafting team is a bit of a misnomer. The front office has hit on most of their top 20 picks, but have a totally mixed bag on the ones just after. For a team like us, we almost have to be extracting more value than most teams in every single draft in order to keep our handicapped player talent pool as deep and wide as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad