Prospect Info: Elias Salomonsson, 2022 NHL Draft, #55 Overall

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Salomonsson just continues to get better. He's still just 19 and a top D in the SHL, but he's also improving week by week. His ceiling is a #1-2 D, in my view. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become at least a really solid, big minute 2nd pair RD.

His skating is absolutely dynamic... Heiskanen level. It opens up a lot of transition offense opportunities and he is already really solid defensively.

Salomonsson just continues to get better. He's still just 19 and a top D in the SHL, but he's also improving week by week. His ceiling is a #1-2 D, in my view. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become at least a really solid, big minute 2nd pair RD.

His skating is absolutely dynamic... Heiskanen level. It opens up a lot of transition offense opportunities and he is already really solid defensively.

I only had time to read the first 33% of that post, but I agree.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Really like him as a prospect and player.

Let’s draft another RHD like him in the 2nd round of this year’s draft. Wonder if a guy like Ellick drops to late 30’s? Wouldn’t that be a kicker.

If DeMelo isn’t resigned, he may play with Jets next year otherwise I would think he starts on the Moose.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
I’d love to see him play on the Jets next year, maybe slide onto a pairing with Samberg.

It may not be the best for development, but I’d love to see a kid come in at 19 and have an immediate impact. Especially on defence, and even more especially as a right-handed dman.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really like him as a prospect and player.

Let’s draft another RHD like him in the 2nd round of this year’s draft. Wonder if a guy like Ellick drops to late 30’s? Wouldn’t that be a kicker.

If DeMelo isn’t resigned, he may play with Jets next year otherwise I would think he starts on the Moose.

I would be very surprised if he starts the season with the Jets, even if DeMelo is gone. But that would certainly leave an opening for him. Maybe mid-season?

Reactions: hn777

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd love to see a Heinola-Salomonsson 3rd pairing next year. But I think Elais will ply his trade for a while on the Moose. Just to get comfortable. I think what he's done this year in the SEL is comparable to being a #1 D in the AHL.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Ah the annual 'over-estimating the impact of prospects' tradition... I'd say the odds of Heinola-Salo as our third pairing next year are about zero.

Honestly don't see Salo in the lineup for another 2-3 years based on Jets development style

Right side woes are kind of addressed now that Samberg is converted... worst case scenario we have
Jomo-Pionk
Stan-Samberg
Heinola-Schmidt
Capo

I don't see a scenario where they don't re-sign DeMelo...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ah the annual 'over-estimating the impact of prospects' tradition... I'd say the odds of Heinola-Salo as our third pairing next year are about zero.

Honestly don't see Salo in the lineup for another 2-3 years based on Jets development style

Right side woes are kind of addressed now that Samberg is converted... worst case scenario we have
Jomo-Pionk
Stan-Samberg
Heinola-Schmidt
Capo

I agree that a 3rd pair of Heinola-Salo next year is pretty unlikely. But how long it takes Salo to arrive is about how quickly he develops. We have 3 Dmen approaching UFA this year and 2 more the year after. Pretty unlikely that there won't be room for him if he is ready, which he will be in another year if he continues his development trajectory.

Jets development style? I think you mean the quality of prospects x the availability of roster spots. Trouba was a starter in D+2.

Your worst case scenario is pretty bad.

1. DeMelo chooses UFA
2. Chevy wants to pay him like a 3rd pair Dman.

I think that at this time of year you have to assume your pending UFAs are going to walk until they actually sign.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Jomo-Pionk
Stan-Samberg
Heinola-Schmidt
Capo

I've been a fan of him since he was drafted, but I think you're likely right about his ETA in the lineup. He can always knock the door down, as Trouba did more than any other recent Jet. But even Morrissey spent the better part of two years in the A and I vividly recall the discussions of him not making it sooner meant he was a bust.

Heinola I believe is as much a victim of bad luck (injury during pre-season) and Chevy's contract issues brought on by Buff's retirement. Dillon and Schmidt being paid as they are likely contributed to Heinola getting more AHL time than he'd like though until the 23-24 season he wasn't really ready either.

Stanley's improved game play likely won't help an early entry into the league for Salomonsson either. His play in the last ten games has been legitimate so I can't see the Jets giving up on their project on that basis.

Jets like to slow cook their defensemen so at least a year in the A, probably 2 is my guess. But hey, if he wants to knock down the door I'll happily welcome him. Wouldn't that be a treat.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I agree that a 3rd pair of Heinola-Salo next year is pretty unlikely. But how long it takes Salo to arrive is about how quickly he develops. We have 3 Dmen approaching UFA this year and 2 more the year after. Pretty unlikely that there won't be room for him if he is ready, which he will be in another year if he continues his development trajectory.

Jets development style? I think you mean the quality of prospects x the availability of roster spots. Trouba was a starter in D+2.

1. DeMelo chooses UFA

I think that at this time of year you have to assume your pending UFAs are going to walk until they actually sign.
I would guess that Chevy has a pretty good idea of who he wants to retain and who is interested in staying. A good agent would be trying to feel out the situation so as not to be blindsided in a few months.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Skellefteå lost their 2nd in a row yesterday and the series is now tied 3-3. Salomonsson's season is done tomorrow if they lose.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

1. DeMelo chooses UFA

My best case is
Jomo-samberg
Stanley-demelo
Heinola-pionk
Capo-ufa/waiver
Schmidt bought out

Dillon will get paid...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My best case is
Jomo-samberg
Stanley-demelo
Heinola-pionk
Capo-ufa/waiver
Schmidt bought out

Dillon will get paid...
Knowing jets I’d swap Stanley and Heinola. They like a slower d with a smaller offensive d. Dillion Pionk, samberg Schmidt, Demelo and Morrissey ( morrissey being our only real 2 way d.)

Reactions: WolfHouse

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My best case is
Jomo-samberg
Stanley-demelo
Heinola-pionk
Capo-ufa/waiver
Schmidt bought out

Dillon will get paid...

:laugh: Better than your worst case, but I'm not thrilled with that either.

My BEST case has a true 1RHD acquired somehow from somewhere but going with your roster I would do it this way:

Morrissey - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk/Heinola
Stanley - Heinola/Pionk
Capo

Can't see the rookie on 2nd pair unless he and Samberg really find chemistry but I list it as an option in case he and Stanley are not a fit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would guess that Chevy has a pretty good idea of who he wants to retain and who is interested in staying. A good agent would be trying to feel out the situation so as not to be blindsided in a few months.

It isn't entirely up to Chevy and we don't know why some of these guys haven't been extended already. It is still possible that we re-sign them until they actually sign somewhere else. But when it has gone to this point in the season you can be certain that either the player or the team is hesitating to sign. Has to be one or the other. So I assume they will walk until something changes.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He can take Pionk-a-donks place as RHD. Keep demelo no matter what.

Yeah, I expect that in another year. Agree we need to keep DeMelo.
But if DeMelo goes it WOULD open a roster spot. Even then, I can't see Salo in that spot coming out of TC. I think he needs a little AHL time. It would be great if he just kicked the door down though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad