Value of: Elias Pettersson

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Necas is not being traded. Not even for EP.

It'd take a McDavid, Stamkos, etc. tier player for Carolina to consider trading Necas with the season he's having; especially when they gave him another chance after underperforming last season.

Additionally, I think a couple of you guys are undervaluing Jarvis, and also considering that when Carolina was trying to trade for Eichel, Buffalo wanted him for Eichel (Carolina clearly refused). Eichel is a relevant player to bring up in trade talks of EP.
why would you not trade Necas for EP when you get the better player…

Also did you just imply you would trade him for Stamkos but not EP?

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

It'd take a McDavid, Stamkos, etc. tier player for Carolina to consider trading Necas with the season he's having; especially when they gave him another chance after underperforming last season.

Additionally, I think a couple of you guys are undervaluing Jarvis, and also considering that when Carolina was trying to trade for Eichel, Buffalo wanted him for Eichel (Carolina clearly refused). Eichel is a relevant player to bring up in trade talks of EP.
Stamkos is several tiers below McDavid in value, and I'm fairly sure every team would gladly take EP over him at this stage in his career.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
why would you not trade Necas for EP when you get the better player…

Also did you just imply you would trade him for Stamkos but not EP?
Stamkos is several tiers below McDavid in value, and I'm fairly sure every team would gladly take EP over him at this stage in his career.
Stamkos was just an example in case that wasn't clear. That's why I listed McDavid, and said etc. So, this isn't a gotcha moment that you two seem to be making it.

Also, no Aqualung, we aren't trading Necas for EP. Necas is a great top 6 winger, and as I said previously, they aren't trading him after giving him another chance when he underperformed last season. He looks like he's a part of our core going forward. Pretty sure you wouldn't trade him either if you were in Carolina's shoes barring a top tier player.

Also I wonder what happened to the post pointing out how Vancouver fans are basically demanding McDavid, Makar, Drai, etc. despite EP wanting out and the fans being kind of toxic about the trade proposals.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That's complete garbage offer lol...B prospect? If that's the price of elite talent then Canucks should use this offer to get Makar

2023 1st
2024 1st
Podkolzin
Hoglander

For Makar
I get your point but Makar is way more valuable.

I will give it a shot

Holloway
Bourgault
2023 1st + 2nd
2024 1st + 3rd
Puljujarvi For cap I know he has zero value
Barrie he does have value of a 2nd or 3rd cap reason

I know the OP said no cap but the teams that would make such a trade are at the upper limits of the cap.

I would not make the trade just saying value wise

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I will give it a shot

Holloway
Bourgault
2023 1st + 2nd
2024 1st + 3rd

I know the OP said no cap but the teams that would make such a trade are at the upper limits of the cap.

I disagree about Pul having zero value I think the Jets would throw a 3rd or 4th for him as a reclaimation project. That’s not much but, that’s not nothing.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

I will give it a shot

Holloway
Bourgault
2023 1st + 2nd
2024 1st + 3rd

The problem is if Canucks are trading Pettersson then they would want an elite NHL prospect that is guaranteed to be a top NHL player. Think someone like Luke Hughes, Turcotte etc. Basically a top end prospect because Pettersson is a young elite player with years of playing time ahead of him.

If they trade Petterson they get worse. No package is gonna make them better right away. All they can hope for is good drafting and good prospects to build a future core
No package is right but they would want a package that makes them better in the future so no B prospect or low end picks. The Package needs to have very high potential in the future.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Stamkos was just an example in case that wasn't clear. That's why I listed McDavid, and said etc. So, this isn't a gotcha moment that you two seem to be making it.

Also, no Aqualung, we aren't trading Necas for EP. Necas is a great top 6 winger, and as I said previously, they aren't trading him after giving him another chance when he underperformed last season. He looks like he's a part of our core going forward. Pretty sure you wouldn't trade him either if you were in Carolina's shoes barring a top tier player.

Also I wonder what happened to the post pointing out how Vancouver fans are basically demanding McDavid, Makar, Drai, etc. despite EP wanting out and the fans being kind of toxic about the trade proposals.
I have no idea what you are getting to in your last point. Has nothing to do with what I said. You didn’t address the fact why you would keep an inferior player. Being a part of a core is an irrational argument. And no, if I was in Carolina’s shoes and was offered EP for Necas, I make that trade because it gives me the better player and a better team.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I have no idea what you are getting to in your last point. Has nothing to do with what I said.
Didn't say it did.

You didn’t address the fact why you would keep an inferior player. Being a part of a core is an irrational argument. And no, if I was in Carolina’s shoes and was offered EP for Necas, I make that trade because it gives me the better player and a better team.
Now you're being a little flippant. Feel free to disagree, but Necas should provide a lot of skill on the wing for years to come on Carolina's top 6; he also might be a future centerman for us since he's stated he wants to play center. Necas is the more developed/slightly older player that has more experience than Jarvis and has demonstrated a high ceiling, thus from Carolina's point of view, and especially with the season Necas is having, Carolina would prefer to keep Necas over Jarvis. Again, as I've stated two previous times, Carolina isn't going to throw Necas to the wind this season after they gave him another chance/extended him after his major slump last season.

Put another way in very simple terms, Necas>Jarvis. Who do you think Carolina would prefer to trade? It's also not as if Jarvis is some 4th line grinder type either; so not sure why you keep undervaluing him so much.

Also, if Carolina was unwilling to trade Jarvis for Eichel last season, why would they trade Necas for EP this season when Necas has had an amazing season already? You can disagree with Carolina's front office, and other fans that share a similar view, but there is a lot of rationale, but because you don't like it and want as much return as possible in speculative trade proposals from fans, you're painting people as irrational.

You apparently think highly of Necas, but he isn't moving for the foreseeable future. Sorry, but you're gonna have to accept that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Part of the issue with that proposal is that including KK (negative value) cancels out the value of the 1st round pick. So it’s basically Jarvis for EP straight up which is terrible value for Van. I might be undervaluing him, but why would we be excited when the sole asset coming back hasn’t produced more than 40 points in a season while in their D+3 season? Would you give up Aho straight up for Jarvis?

Last edited:
  • Haha

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

What is this “tier” system that has McDavid and Stamkos in the same one?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

So what your saying is, that it would take a completely outrageous and unrealistic offer that would never come in a million years for your team (in your opinion) to even consider trading Necas?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The problem is if Canucks are trading Pettersson then they would want an elite NHL prospect that is guaranteed to be a top NHL player. Think someone like Luke Hughes, Turcotte etc. Basically a top end prospect because Pettersson is a young elite player with years of playing time ahead of him.

No package is right but they would want a package that makes them better in the future so no B prospect or low end picks. The Package needs to have very high potential in the future.
Turcotte is a bust.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Didn't say it did.

Now you're being a little flippant. Feel free to disagree, but Necas should provide a lot of skill on the wing for years to come on Carolina's top 6; he also might be a future centerman for us since he's stated he wants to play center. Necas is the more developed/slightly older player that has more experience than Jarvis and has demonstrated a high ceiling, thus from Carolina's point of view, and especially with the season Necas is having, Carolina would prefer to keep Necas over Jarvis. Again, as I've stated two previous times, Carolina isn't going to throw Necas to the wind this season after they gave him another chance/extended him after his major slump last season.

Put another way in very simple terms, Necas>Jarvis. Who do you think Carolina would prefer to trade? It's also not as if Jarvis is some 4th line grinder type either; so not sure why you keep undervaluing him so much.

Also, if Carolina was unwilling to trade Jarvis for Eichel last season, why would they trade Necas for EP this season when Necas has had an amazing season already? You can disagree with Carolina's front office, and other fans that share a similar view, but there is a lot of rationale, but because you don't like it and want as much return as possible in speculative trade proposals from fans, you're painting people as irrational.

You apparently think highly of Necas, but he isn't moving for the foreseeable future. Sorry, but you're gonna have to accept that.
I never said I thought highly of Necas. Just that if you are offered EP for Necas, it’s an easy trigger for the Hurricanes. It is irrational to keep the worse player for a reason that is not objective ie part of a future core. It’s as if you’re solely focused on Necas and forgetting to think whether adding EP makes you a better team.

Last edited:
Reactions: zcaptain

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Part of the issue with that proposal is that including KK (negative value) cancels out the value of the 1st round pick. So it’s basically Jarvis for EP straight up which is terrible value for Van. I might be undervaluing him, but why would we be excited when the sole asset coming back hasn’t produced more than 40 points in a season while in their D+3 season? Would you give up Aho straight up for Jarvis?
Fair point/concern about KK. Based on that, it'd probably be something like (so, not necessarily set in stone) Jarvis + Morrow/Nishikin/Drury + 2023 1st round pick with potentially another +.

Although I'm pretty sure my fellow Canes fan brought up KK as a cap dump to make room for EP, and also not to have KK permanently stuck on the 4th line after getting EP.

What is this “tier” system that has McDavid and Stamkos in the same one?
Already been discussed. I said previously, "Stamkos was just an example in case that wasn't clear. That's why I listed McDavid, and said etc."

Although I would think winning multiple Stanley Cups and having a lot of playoff experience means something to teams like Carolina which is trying to win the Cup for the first time in recent history.

So what your saying is, that it would take a completely outrageous and unrealistic offer that would never come in a million years for your team (in your opinion) to even consider trading Necas?
In other words, he's pretty much untouchable right now, and it would take a very unlikely trade for one of the best forwards (more than likely they'd prefer a center man) in the league is what I was getting at.

I never said I thought highly of Necas.
Semantics. You've acted like it would take Necas, and no other roster forward from Carolina, to get a trade done for EP. Jarvis seems to be an insult to you with trading him in a package (key word since there won't be a 1 for 1 swap) for a Canucks team that would likely want to rebuild with prospects and draft picks and not just young players.

Just that if you are offered EP for Necas, it’s an easy trigger for the Hurricanes. It is irrational to keep the worse player for a reason that is not objective ie part of a future core. It’s as if you’re solely focused on Necas and forgetting to think whether adding EP makes you a better team.
I've clearly demonstrated why it would not be an easy trigger for the Hurricanes. I don't care to repeat myself for however many times now just because you don't like the answer/rationale. I also think that if he plays a full season, Necas has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer like EP, and particularly after his performance so far this season.

It is rational to try to improve your roster with a package for maximum return while not hurting/minimizing your overall depth (with Necas being traded, it'd hurt our winger position for a while). Teams do this all the time with "kicking the tires" and then they find the asking price for said player is too high; Jakob Chychrun is a good recent example. Maybe you're looking for a Florida Panthers trade partner which gave up so much for Tkachuk. In which case, look at how Florida is performing this season; they're a good case study to support my argument and challenge your point of view.

Again, there is rationale, but you don't like the answers so you paint it irrational.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Already been discussed. I said previously, "Stamkos was just an example in case that wasn't clear. That's why I listed McDavid, and said etc."

It’s still a weird name to throw out after McDavid is all. There are like ten others you could’ve used.

Although I would think winning multiple Stanley Cups and having a lot of playoff experience means something to teams like Carolina which is trying to win the Cup for the first time in recent history.

Lol, no one is taking Stamkos over McDavid for any reason, and if they are they should immediately lose all hockeying privileges.

Sigurd

Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
It’s still a weird name to throw out after McDavid is all. There are like ten others you could’ve used.

Lol, no one is taking Stamkos over McDavid for any reason, and if they are they should immediately lose all hockeying privileges.
Drai and Matthews. Better?

Also, when did I say someone would take Stamkos over McDavid?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Fair point/concern about KK. Based on that, it'd probably be something like (so, not necessarily set in stone) Jarvis + Morrow/Nishikin/Drury + 2023 1st round pick with potentially another +.

Although I'm pretty sure my fellow Canes fan brought up KK as a cap dump to make room for EP, and also not to have KK permanently stuck on the 4th line after getting EP.

In other words, he's pretty much untouchable right now, and it would take a very unlikely trade for one of the best forwards (more than likely they'd prefer a center man) in the league is what I was getting at.

Semantics. You've acted like it would take Necas, and no other roster forward from Carolina, to get a trade done for EP. Jarvis seems to be an insult to you with trading him in a package (key word since there won't be a 1 for 1 swap) for a Canucks team that would likely want to rebuild with prospects and draft picks and not just young players.

I've clearly demonstrated why it would not be an easy trigger for the Hurricanes. I don't care to repeat myself for however many times now just because you don't like the answer/rationale. I also think that if he plays a full season, Necas has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer like EP, and particularly after his performance so far this season.

It is rational to try to improve your roster with a package for maximum return while not hurting/minimizing your overall depth (with Necas being traded, it'd hurt our winger position for a while). Teams do this all the time with "kicking the tires" and then they find the asking price for said player is too high; Jakob Chychrun is a good recent example. Maybe you're looking for a Florida Panthers trade partner which gave up so much for Tkachuk. In which case, look at how Florida is performing this season; they're a good case study to support my argument and challenge your point of view.

Again, there is rationale, but you don't like the answers so you paint it irrational.

So they'd prefer a true #1 C coming back is what your saying?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad