Value of: Elias Pettersson

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah I definitely wasn't taking away from Tkachuk, we all saw what a warrior he was in the playoffs. Just pointing out that Pettersson doesn't exactly fade away in the post season as the one poster seemed to imply.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
if detroit isn't going to build through the draft this is who they should target. i think larkin is better as a higher end 2c.
They feel they have built their prospect pool through the draft …. and now it’s time for those players to develop and fill in the spots around those kids, as they develop. They have the deepest core of quality talent (in the NHL) on the blue line, and a pretty deep forward pool now too.. So they’re pretty much done in that regard.

They’re not the types to chase lottery picks, after the system is filled.. Those teams end up never-ending rebuilds. You have to develop the draft picks and surround them with quality vets to play with.. Young vets to be precise. Debrincat was one.

That said, absolutely. If EP is available, you go all-in. They have the assets to get it down, and it won’t decimate their system. He’ll be a star player throughout the entire 7-8 year contract. If that costs you Kasper, Hanas, Wallinder (or some variation of prospects) and a high pick, you do it and run to the bank with EP.

I don’t like reading into this “Captain” thing at all, but it’s hard not to, even though the Quinn thing was inevitable. I watch every Canucks game, and follow them pretty closely as well as Detroit. I am a little surprised, but not surprised.. I know why, and understand why not too. But if you asked every fan two years ago, who’s the next Captain? 80-85% would’ve said EP without hesitation.

So if I’m Yzerman, the call has already been made. I’ve let the Canucks know, when they’re ready, so am I. Then I’m making that phone call every month.. just to let them know I’m still interested. Then I’m calling every time they don’t look good in the standings. I may even offer to help fix one of their issues…

All jokes aside on this one.

It’s just a very natural move for Detroit to make. With their obvious Swede thing, and he’s obviously at the position they need to fill today, more than any other, it would just make sense.

People may say they’d be concerned it would block a prospect, etc, etc. Believe me… No prospect has ever been blocked. Those are great problems to have. Anyone still stuck on the, “it’ll screw up their pick next year” should’ve gotten over that type of logic the day they traded for Debrincat.

Reactions: theguardianII

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Haven't heard much about him. Is he good enough to play 3C?
this didnt age well.

He's playing ahead of a PPG center in the line up, top line.

non playoff team, but still

He would fix so many issues with the Avs roster, I just don't think our management has the balls to make such a trade.
Avs already have Rat and Mack,, With petey in the top 6 it wouldnt go well, too many chefs in the kitchen

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Makar/Johansen for EP/Myers
Sure. Just add Hughes and you’re there on value. Avs can add a 2nd rounder in 2026.

Why? They’ll have upwards of $36M in capspace next summer with EP and Hronek as the only notable RFA.
And that will take up $20mm of your cap space. With several more holes to fill in order to put 18 players + 2 Gs on the ice each night. Unless you’ll stake 3 lines and 5 D guys per game.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And that will take up $20mm of your cap space. With several more holes to fill in order to put 18 players + 2 Gs on the ice each night. Unless you’ll stake 3 lines and 5 D guys per game.
They’ll have about $17M to fill 8 spots in the lineup, not ideal but not something that will force them to move Kuzmenko to “free up cap space “.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Sure. Just add Hughes and you’re there on value. Avs can add a 2nd rounder in 2026.

what.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They’ll have about $17M to fill 8 spots in the lineup, not ideal but not something that will force them to move Kuzmenko to “free up cap space “.
$17mm for 8 spots is very ouch. Thats about $2mm per guy. If you splurge on a guy at say.. $5mm to play a middle pair role. You’ve got $12mm for seven guys.

You’re basically Toronto but not nearly as good. All stars. No depth. Way too many JAGs playing big minutes and big roles.

Reactions: theguardianII

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Makar is worth significantly more than a RFA in EP that’s going to get $12mm or so on his next deal .

And Johansen is worth significantly more at $4mm AAV than Myers is on his very negative value $6mm deal. Vancouver would need to add something major to close the gap. So make it Hughes and Avs can toss you a 2nd. Or throw in Kuzmenko and a few 1sts instead.

Vancouver has very little to horse trade with. A bad roster. Lots of bad contracts, OELs long dated dead money hit, very weak farm system and their best asset is on a one year deal and wants out. Hughes is awesome. Kuzmenko is great but on a short term deal himself and won’t shoot anywhere close to 28% again.

Very little to work with here.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Makar is worth significantly more than a RFA in EP that’s going to get $12mm or so on his next deal .

And Johansen is worth significantly more at $4mm AAV than Myers is on his very negative value $6mm deal. Vancouver would need to add something major to close the gap. So make it Hughes and Avs can toss you a 2nd. Or throw in Kuzmenko and a few 1sts instead.

Vancouver has very little to horse trade with. A bad roster. Lots of bad contracts, OELs long dated dead money hit, very weak farm system and their best asset is on a one year deal and wants out. Hughes is awesome. Kuzmenko is great but on a short term deal himself and won’t shoot anywhere close to 28% again.

Very little to work with here.
Why would we trade Pettersson and Hughes for Makar?

We will have roughly $30M of cap space next season (not including Pettersson’s current contract). Pettersson + Hronek extensions will be about $6M. The year after that we will have another $14M of cap space and that’s without even factoring the salary cap increase that will follow for the next 2-3 years.

Our future cap situation is good. Garland and Boeser will be gone within 2 years, just before the mega OEL cap hit kicks in, and we will have Willander/D-Petey on ELC’s making up our d core.

We have more than enough money to keep Kuzmenko on a long term contract if he deserves it. Yes he will regress, that shooting % is unsustainable. But he will still be a valuable contributor, and we might even get him on a discount if he does regress.

Allvin is very hellbent on cap management and it’s a relief to have a GM who cares about asset management.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
$17mm for 8 spots is very ouch. Thats about $2mm per guy. If you splurge on a guy at say.. $5mm to play a middle pair role. You’ve got $12mm for seven guys.

You’re basically Toronto but not nearly as good. All stars. No depth. Way too many JAGs playing big minutes and big roles.
If you look at they holes that they would need to fill, that number is not really an issue at all. Obviously other deals will be made by then, but really no concern. Here is who they would need to replace, and have 17 mill to do so:

Beauvillier- 3rd line wing
Blueger-4c
Joshua-4w
Dries/Studnicka Fringe NHLers
Myers- 4D, the biggest one for sure
Cole,Rathbone, Irwin- Bottom Pair D
Martin-Backup goalie

Canucks have a significant number of young guys ready to jump into the bottom of the lineup next year. I really don't think they will have a problem replacing these guys with a lot of improvement.
I'm not suggesting any of these guys are winning the Calder, but at least a couple should be ready to make the jump in smaller roles after this season:

McDonough LW
Podkolzin Wing
Aman C
Bains W
McWard D
Johansson D
Hirose D
Woo D

Top half of the lineup is pretty solid and locked in, so this number isn't a huge issue at all.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

The Canucks have 51.771667M taken up by 11 players + OEL buyout penalty. That leaves 35.728333M for 9-12 players if we go by Capfriendly's 87.5M projection.

As you said on the high end Petey + Hronek take up 20M. That leaves 15.728333M in cap space with the biggest need being a top 4 d-man.

They graduate Wolanin,Hirose, Podkolzin, Silovs, Aman from the minors to the NHL
They re-sign RFA Silovs, Podkolzin, Aman all to roughly 900K deals.

That leaves the Canucks with 11.465833M and 18 players signed.

They re-sign Joshua as a UFA 1.5M

Now thats 19 players and 10.065833M in cap space with a lineup of:

Kuzmenko Pettersson Mikheyev
Garland Miller Boeser
Hoglander Suter Podkolzin
Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Hughes Hronek
Soucy
Hirose
Wolanin

Demko
Silovs

They would need a top 4 D, a 3rd pairing d, a #13 forward + a #8 d-man. the #13 forward + #8 d-man will cost 1.6M. That leaves 8.4M for a top 4 d-man + a 3rd pairing d-man.

So where exactly is the issue for the Canucks cap wise? They'd be running back almost the same forward core (replace Pearson + Blueger + Beauvillier with Podkolzin + Aman + a new 13th forward), while geting an upgrade on Cole + Myers for 2nd pair + 3rd pair D.

Reactions: Szechwan

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Say they spent $5M on a partner for Hughes and $3M on a 3rd line center that would leave them $9M to fill out depth spots in the lineup, not really a big issue. And that’s without discussing the option of moving Boeser in his final year or perhaps Garland once the cap increases.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Canucks have 51.771667M taken up by 11 players + OEL buyout penalty. That leaves 35.728333M for 9-12 players if we go by Capfriendly's 87.5M projection.

As you said on the high end Petey + Hronek take up 20M. That leaves 15.728333M in cap space with the biggest need being a top 4 d-man.

They graduate Wolanin,Hirose, Podkolzin, Silovs, Aman from the minors to the NHL

Garland Miller Boeser
Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Hughes Hronek
Soucy
Hirose
Wolanin

Demko
Silovs

They would need a top 4 D, a 3rd pairing d, a #13 forward + a #8 d-man. the #13 forward + #8 d-man will cost 1.6M. That leaves 8.4M for a top 4 d-man + a 3rd pairing d-man.

So where exactly is the issue for the Canucks cap wise? They'd be running back almost the same forward core (replace Pearson + Blueger + Beauvillier with Podkolzin + Aman + a new 13th forward), while geting an upgrade on Cole + Myers for 2nd pair + 3rd pair D.
Does that look like a playoff team to you? Or a team that picks 9th overall the following June?

Say they spent $5M on a partner for Hughes and $3M on a 3rd line center that would leave them $9M to fill out depth spots in the lineup, not really a big issue. And that’s without discussing the option of moving Boeser in his final year or perhaps Garland once the cap increases.
You’ve got the same problem with Boeser and Garland that you have with Myers. Negative value at those AAVs. So you’re either retaining or trading away with sweeteners. Or just riding out the deals to their conclusion.

You definitely don’t have the money for D Toews.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Does that look like a playoff team to you? Or a team that picks 9th overall the following June?

You’ve got the same problem with Boeser and Garland that you have with Myers. Negative value at those AAVs. So you’re either retaining or trading away with sweeteners. Or just riding out the deals to their conclusion.
Nobody suggested they’d be trading either for surplus value but how about we actually let next season happen before making up conclusions. The cap is expected to go up $4M, that will open up a lot of possibilities for moving certain currently “unmovable” players.

If we keep Pettersson at $12M+ or take back $12M+ in contracts, that’s true. But I’ve already explained that to you….

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nobody suggested they’d be trading either for surplus value but how about we actually let next season happen before making up conclusions. The cap is expected to go up $4M, that will open up a lot of possibilities for moving certain currently “unmovable” players.

If we keep Pettersson at $12M+ or take back $12M+ in contracts, that’s true. But I’ve already explained that to you….
It’s possible, but you and 31 other teams are looking at their cap situations and having the same thoughts. That so & so can finally be moved next summer when the cap goes up some.

Teams with cap space know they have a huge upper hand on anyone looking to dump deals. That dynamic won’t change next summer.

Overpaid guys will still be overpaid and the other side will still have the leverage in negotiations. This comment isn’t player or team specific.

If Boeswr or Garland have a good season, sure… I could see them dumped for “future considerations”. But if they both end up with years like their most recent season, your GM and their agents are still behind the 8-ball.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Just imagine how good that Q Hughes with a D partner like Toews who was had for a measly two 2nd round picks behind one of the leagues top tier offensive core. Not Schenn or Juulsen. But like a bonafide top tier Dman as a partner

Then have someone suggest that for the low low price of Jack Hughes J Marino (on an expiring contract and pick you could have Q Hughes and his partner.

Now, imagine them saying that and trying to be serious about it

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

shifting goal posts i see. It went from not having money to fill out a roster, to now is that a playoff team.

That could be a playoff team. Say the 2 D they sign are Pesce (6.6M) + Hakanpaa (1.75M). IMO this years Canucks is weaker (I'd rather have a stronger d-core than Pearson + Beauvillier + Blueger) and should be in contention for the last 4 playoff spots. No reason to think they'd be picking 9th overall when they have Hughes + a bunch of bottom pairing dmen + 2 backup/AHLer goalies playing the majority of last season and still finished out of the bottom 10.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
They feel they have built their prospect pool through the draft …. and now it’s time for those players to develop and fill in the spots around those kids, as they develop. They have the deepest core of quality talent (in the NHL) on the blue line, and a pretty deep forward pool now too.. So they’re pretty much done in that regard.

They’re not the types to chase lottery picks, after the system is filled.. Those teams end up never-ending rebuilds. You have to develop the draft picks and surround them with quality vets to play with.. Young vets to be precise. Debrincat was one.

That said, absolutely. If EP is available, you go all-in. They have the assets to get it down, and it won’t decimate their system. He’ll be a star player throughout the entire 7-8 year contract. If that costs you Kasper, Hanas, Wallinder (or some variation of prospects) and a high pick, you do it and run to the bank with EP.

I don’t like reading into this “Captain” thing at all, but it’s hard not to, even though the Quinn thing was inevitable. I watch every Canucks game, and follow them pretty closely as well as Detroit. I am a little surprised, but not surprised.. I know why, and understand why not too. But if you asked every fan two years ago, who’s the next Captain? 80-85% would’ve said EP without hesitation.

So if I’m Yzerman, the call has already been made. I’ve let the Canucks know, when they’re ready, so am I. Then I’m making that phone call every month.. just to let them know I’m still interested. Then I’m calling every time they don’t look good in the standings. I may even offer to help fix one of their issues…

All jokes aside on this one.

It’s just a very natural move for Detroit to make. With their obvious Swede thing, and he’s obviously at the position they need to fill today, more than any other, it would just make sense.

People may say they’d be concerned it would block a prospect, etc, etc. Believe me… No prospect has ever been blocked. Those are great problems to have. Anyone still stuck on the, “it’ll screw up their pick next year” should’ve gotten over that type of logic the day they traded for Debrincat.
Lol Detroit has nothing of interest to Vancouver in a trade for EP other than Seider. There would need to be a substantial plus on top of him.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Garland Miller Boeser
Di Giuseppe Aman Joshua

Hughes Hronek
Soucy
Hirose
Wolanin

Demko
Silovs

You seem very invested in the Canucks. What is your handle at calgarypuck? Do Bingo and Jiri know you’re off the leash?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You seem very invested in the Canucks. What is your handle at calgarypuck? Do Bingo and Jiri know you’re off the leash?
being a Canucks fan why wouldnt i have an investment in the Canucks? LOL at you thinking I'm a Flames fan that frequents a Flames board, obviously for some reason you do. Go back to the cesspool of CDC where you belong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad