Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Early in year chl numbers were better than shl numbers causing some to say they should not be considered as chl is weaker. Numbers now are not as good. Small sample size anything to be learned from these numbers? Maybe he takes a while to adjust to new situations as he started the shl season slow and did poorly in world juniors last year.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I kind of like an aggregate based, two leg series.

Not saying the NHL should do it, but for the European Champions League, like in soccer, it's a good idea.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Does European hockey follows the same format as European soccer? I mean bottom 3 teams get regulated, they play aggregates, have champions league....seems very similar to me.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I kind of like an aggregate based, two leg series.

Not saying the NHL should do it, but for the European Champions League, like in soccer, it's a good idea.

If the NHL wanted to extend the playoff format I wouldn't mind if they had the 8th/9th place teams battle it out in a two leg series for that last spot. Might give finishing 1st in your conference a little more value as well since you'd get a beat up team.

Or you could have the 3 teams from each division automatically qualify and have 4 wild card teams play in some type of play in system/tournament to determine the final two seeds.

Extending the playoff format to include more teams probably helps franchises like Carolina who are continually stuck in no mans land and at least give their fans a taste of playoff hockey. I really don't think NHL can survive in 32 markets with half of them missing the playoffs every year as there isn't enough franchises on solid ground.

Best time to be an NHL fan was probably back when there was 21 teams. Miss the playoffs? no problem here's a Top 5 pick. Barely make the playoffs? no problem here's a Top 6-10 pick. There is no reward for being marginal these days other than some low teens pick that you hope might be good in 3 or 4 years.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Early in year chl numbers were better than shl numbers causing some to say they should not be considered as chl is weaker. Numbers now are not as good. Small sample size anything to be learned from these numbers? Maybe he takes a while to adjust to new situations as he started the shl season slow and did poorly in world juniors last year.

Keep in mind to he basically played 7 minutes in the last game then left with an injury. He basically had 1 full game without a point out of 9.

CHL might also likely mean less to him then the shl. Its hard to read anything into it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

the way a champions league format works the opposition theoretically gets tougher each round. this is offset by the fact that these are extra games in the middle of a domestic league seasons so sometimes rosters may be watered down if teams want to prioritize their domestic league games.

there really isn't any opposition in europe that would be meaningfully tougher than shl league play but you'd expect to see better teams as things get narrowed down. i don't know how real this tournament is for hockey players but i expect later in the tournament the games will start to seem more like a playoff as the possibility of winning the tournament becomes more real.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Keep in mind to he basically played 7 minutes in the last game then left with an injury. He basically had 1 full game without a point out of 9.

CHL might also likely mean less to him then the shl. Its hard to read anything into it.
And in that game he set up a teammate with a wide open net where he somehow missed.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Josh Wegman just did a piece outlining his top 3 prospects not playing in the NHL; Rasmus Dahlin, Nikita Gusev, and Garret Sparks.

The anti-Canucks bias is strong with this one.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
Josh Wegman just did a piece outlining his top 3 prospects not playing in the NHL; Rasmus Dahlin, Nikita Gusev, and Garret Sparks.

The anti-Canucks bias is strong with this one.

That is not true, what the article is on "3 prospects with NHL-level ready skillsets" and that is more about who is ready RIGHT NOW versus who has highest potential.

Last edited:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Does European hockey follows the same format as European soccer? I mean bottom 3 teams get regulated, they play aggregates, have champions league....seems very similar to me.

It differs from league to league, but no team gets automatically promoted or relegated. Who ends up where is decided in a playoff series with teams from the lower tier league.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
On the main WJC boards, people are predicting that Elisa will be playing on the wing for Sweden's top line. I was hoping that he would play C there. :(

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I love how his last named is pronounced, "Peta-shzoan", or something like that. That's an elite name.

Also the best pronunciation of his name I've heard so far is at ~3:30 of this vid:

middlestadts
better

Last edited:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
That's how they do it in Swedish (and Norwegian?). I look forward to the Peta-shzoan / Ander-shzoan / Ni-lander triumvirate which will rain hellfire on the World Juniors and especially on Team Usa

Snuuzi

Nov 3, 2017
I love how his last named is pronounced, "Peta-shzoan", or something like that. That's an elite name.

Also the best pronunciation of his name I've heard so far is at ~3:30 of this vid:

middlestadts
better

You managed to find the most feminine baby-dialects that cant pronounce R there. Please don't adopt. Just say it the english way with an 'R' your actually closer to the original way of saying it then those announcers are.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Isn't there a lot of roster fluctuation with the CHL games? Don't they rest some of their better players? Or care less about CHL? Isn't it something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad