Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Elias Pettersson isn't a 'small' player. He's a lanky player that has not filled into his height. The difference between Gaudreau/Marner short types and Pettersson is that the small types usually can easier avoid contact than a guy like Pettersson can. Pettersson is dangerously skinny for an athlete playing such a physical contact sport along the boards in the style he does. He needs to fill out in a big way. The Sedin build is what he should aim for.

He's not going to last very long in the NHL without getting injured playing the way he does in the SHL.

All I will say is we will see, because he is taller then those players I am not sure I am understanding how that somehow makes the nhl more dangerous for elias ether. Ehlers is/was very skinny as well and often plays in the dirty area's. I just hear this concern constantly about talented players and weight and it always becomes a non issue. Pastrnak was another. Brayden point is very skinny at around 5'10 and plays a very hard nose game in the dirty area's like elias.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
All I will say is we will see, because he is taller then those players I am not sure I am understanding how that somehow makes the nhl more dangerous for elias ether. Ehlers is/was very skinny as well and often plays in the dirty area's. I just hear this concern constantly about talented players and weight and it always becomes a non issue. Pastrnak was another.
It really comes down to play style. Smaller players learn to play a different game than taller players to cut it in the NHL and protect themselves. Taller players that aren't really filled into their height will usually play a 'braver' game and are more prone to injuries.. Like the game Pettersson plays.. Or else they get the Huselius-like 'floater' label.

Pettersson is skinnier than most players his size.

The fact that this is one of the only 'flaws' I can find in him (and what I believe is the main reason why he wasn't selected in the top 2) is a huge credit to Elias, who's proved himself to be a fantastic, almost flawless player thus far.

I just hope the Canucks' strength and conditioning coaches are up to the task.

I don't think it's outrageous that he could hit the 175-180 range without really losing a step.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I still disagree but as I said we will see, I watch brayden point alot and he is skinny as hell and absolutely fearless and having a fantastic season, he plays a very similar game to elias.

But this will always be a concern on here for some fans until proven otherwise and on that note we will have to wait and see.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Kinda funny how someone said earlier in this thread he hoped Petterson would get 35 points before going to WJC. Well, there ya go.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Playing 'fearless' when your body isn't suited to it is a recipe for disaster in terms of developing nagging or potentially career hampering injuries.

Now, obviously today it's much safer when you don't have players like Cooke, C. Lemieux, Chris Simon etc running around, but there's still a risk, especially with this sport.

It's a very taxing sport. The frail guys usually don't last very long.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Elias's brother, Emil (also 6'2), weighed 165 at the same age as Elias , but has since filled out to 185 lbs, so I would expect Elias to weigh about the same in the next 2 or 3 years. Emil Pettersson plays for Milwaukee in the AHL.

Reactions: clunk

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Playing 'fearless' when your body isn't suited to it is a recipe for disaster in terms of developing nagging or potentially career hampering injuries.

Now, obviously today it's much safer when you don't have players like Cooke, C. Lemieux, Chris Simon etc running around, but there's still a risk, especially with this sport.

It has not hampered the skinny skilled players in the league today so far. Maybe 10 years from now it might be a different story, but we wont know that at the moment.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Why frail? Does he have large injury history. Thin does not mean frail. Gretzky was thin i would not say frail, though. Frail humans do not get to pro level in contact sports in the first place. This should not be a large concern.

particularsolution

Mar 17, 2009
His current points/game pace puts him in the top 20 all time for single season scoring in the SHL. That includes several ridiculous seasons from the 70s and 80s that aren't really comparable to the modern era. If you limit the search to seasons since 1990, he sits tied for 7th. Most of the guys ahead of him were doing it in their late 20s/early 30s. It's just mind boggling.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Am wondering if it might be in the Canucks best interest to get a Semenko type player to make sure that anyone who wants to get aggressive with our Golden Boy might think twice? IMO would be worth it.......

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Am wondering if it might be in the Canucks best interest to get a Semenko type player to make sure that anyone who wants to get aggressive with our Golden Boy might think twice? IMO would be worth it.......

The league doesn't really employ thugs anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to having Virtanen play with him though.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Matt Martin knows his role well. He would be a fit for 4th line. We are at the mercy of the other team, though our pp might slow down abuse as it is looking pretty good and Petterson should fit great on it.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

There is still a possibility of gadjovich developing well enough to be a Micheal ferland type of player that could possibly skate at his wing

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The league doesn't really employ thugs anymore. I wouldn't be opposed to having Virtanen play with him though.

Another option (in a few years) would be to put Gadjovich with Pettersson and Dahlen and have them behind Horvat, Boeser and one of Beartschi/Lind/Goldobin, etc.

Reactions: nucks88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad