Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
And it’s just an obviously slanted way of looking at things—

Prospect not tracking as well as hoped = wait and see, you impatient whiners

Prospect tracking as hoped = all hail Benning!

Why the asymmetry?

Another interesting hypocrisy is that any statistical critique of a prospect is "stat watching” but no one bats an eye when a prospect is celebrated based almost purely on statistics (i.e., Pettersson thread).

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This guy could very well turn out to be the best player from the 2017 draft, especially with no generational talents up front.

The only issue is size, but it's not even a major one. He can add 10-15 pounds and play at 180-185 with his level of skill.

Very exciting to have a prospect of this calibre in the pipeline. We were due after consecutive questionable picks.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This guy could very well turn out to be the best player from the 2017 draft, especially with no generational talents up front.

The only issue is size, but it's not even a major one. He can add 10-15 pounds and play at 180-185 with his level of skill.

Very exciting to have a prospect of this calibre in the pipeline. We were due after consecutive questionable picks.

The Canucks need a couple of top 4 D picks and they need Tryamkin back and the future looks pretty good.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
And it’s just an obviously slanted way of looking at things—

Prospect not tracking as well as hoped = wait and see, you impatient whiners

Prospect tracking as hoped = all hail Benning!

Why the asymmetry?
Yeah you are right for the most part, exactly like when people say he had nothing to do with the players tracking well and everything to do with those that are not.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
He's already a dominant player just 13 games in. He creates scoring plays on almost every shift. The passes, his stickwork, hockey sense are off the charts good. The underrated part of his game is his shot and defensive play both very good. If the opposing team takes a penalty, Elias will make them pay on the powerplay. Deadly player.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
@CanaFan is literally the only poster who held out any hope for Jake Virtanen last season. By this board's standards he's not a pessimist.

Not true. I was positive about him last year.

Cana fan is not the most negative here, by a longshot. Though this place is anything but optimistic lately, for some good reasons, but it does not lean to optimism first.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Not to continue to go off topic, but I wanted to comment on the absurd posts spewed by RonningMorrisonBooth last night. While his interpretation of CanaFan's posts were obviously completely absurd (and in my opinion, disingenuous), the part that was possibly even more concerning was his reference to CanaFan "disrespecting" our prospects by being "critical". Its ludicrous to suggest that a prospect is "disrespected" if he is validly/reasonably criticized. This line of thinking implies that posters on this message board shouldn't validly and reasonably criticize any prospects so as to avoid "disrespecting them". Posters should be free to validly and reasonably criticize and prospects and anything to the contrary should not be tolerated.

Also, as an aside, CanaFan isn't a "pessimistic" poster. The overwhelming majority of prospects fail to make the NHL, and accordingly, any perspective that is grounded in this cannot be "pessimistic". The fact of the matter is that perspectives around here are generally optimistic and based on unlikely outcomes, which is fine but tends to unfairly paint those posters with "realistic" perspectives as "pessimists".

You say realistic when in reality it is pessimistic. All our prospects will fail and their current play is unsustainable. Everything "Dim Jim' does is wrong.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Huselius' problem had to do with physical play and intensity if I remember correctly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not to continue to go off topic, but I wanted to comment on the absurd posts spewed by RonningMorrisonBooth last night. While his interpretation of CanaFan's posts were obviously completely absurd (and in my opinion, disingenuous), the part that was possibly even more concerning was his reference to CanaFan "disrespecting" our prospects by being "critical". Its ludicrous to suggest that a prospect is "disrespected" if he is validly/reasonably criticized. This line of thinking implies that posters on this message board shouldn't validly and reasonably criticize any prospects so as to avoid "disrespecting them". Posters should be free to validly and reasonably criticize and prospects and anything to the contrary should not be tolerated.

Also, as an aside, CanaFan isn't a "pessimistic" poster. The overwhelming majority of prospects fail to make the NHL, and accordingly, any perspective that is grounded in this cannot be "pessimistic". The fact of the matter is that perspectives around here are generally optimistic and based on unlikely outcomes, which is fine but tends to unfairly paint those posters with "realistic" perspectives as "pessimists".

Yeah, it's almost comical.

The majority of good prospects don't make it. Therefore, a 'realistic' take on prospects and development will be 'negative' toward most prospects because that's just the way it is. Most players are not tracking well enough to make it, or alternatively even if they are tracking well in their first 1-2 years after being drafted it still has to be remembered that most players 'doing well' still don't make it.

This isn't 'being negative'. Being negative would be saying that every prospect sucks, and I've never seen anyone here do that.

Unfortunately, a lot of people here simply are incapable of forming a negative opinion on a young player, are convinced that every young player putting up good stats at low levels is a future NHLer, and label anyone with an actual grasp on reality a negative pessimist. And of course, as others have mentioned, love jumping to conclusions based on positive results but will scream WAIT AND SEE! at any negative result. And are in a constant state of being fooled that the most recent two draft classes are the BEST DRAFTS EVER! because they simply don't understand the recent draft mirage.

Like, I've been posting here through several administrations and have been consistently called a negative prospect basher, but I actually know that if anything I've historically been too positive about our young players.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, it's almost comical.

The majority of good prospects don't make it. Therefore, a 'realistic' take on prospects and development will be 'negative' toward most prospects because that's just the way it is. Most players are not tracking well enough to make it, or alternatively even if they are tracking well in their first 1-2 years after being drafted it still has to be remembered that most players 'doing well' still don't make it.

This isn't 'being negative'. Being negative would be saying that every prospect sucks, and I've never seen anyone here do that.

Unfortunately, a lot of people here simply are incapable of forming a negative opinion on a young player, are convinced that every young player putting up good stats at low levels is a future NHLer, and label anyone with an actual grasp on reality a negative pessimist. And of course, as others have mentioned, love jumping to conclusions based on positive results but will scream WAIT AND SEE! at any negative result. And are in a constant state of being fooled that the most recent two draft classes are the BEST DRAFTS EVER! because they simply don't understand the recent draft mirage.

Like, I've been posting here through several administrations and have been consistently called a negative prospect basher, but I actually know that if anything I've historically been too positive about our young players.

Too bad pre-2012 posts on this forum seem to have been wiped. Would be incredible to look back at the hate you got for the Hodgson - Langkow prediction. :laugh:

It's one thing when a kid like M2B gets hyped on Tate Olson - as mentioned in another thread recently, I did the same for players as bad as Juraj Simek and Patrick Coulombe. But posters who have watched for years should really know that those two guys are in all likelihood no worse than the Rathbone and Zhukenov type prospects in the system now. Any "pessimism" on this board is just discouraging posters from getting carried away with thoughts of a middle-6 in 2019 of Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind / Lockwood-Gaudette-Gadjovich because it's most likely that only half of those guys get past the AHL in a meaningful way.

At the same time, Pettersson may very well be the best player out of this draft and that is in line with what a fifth overall in a non-McDavid draft should be 6 months after being drafted. That is not sky high expectations or setting up the kid to fail. It's just the reality of what a fifth overall tracking well. No one on this board would have traded that pick for anything short of a Marner/Werenski type player, nor should they have. Even trading for a potential with any sort of doubt in his game like Dylan Strome would have the fanbase seething. So why would those expectations suddenly be tempered when a name is actually attached to that pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad