Prospect Info: Elias Pettersson | Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Anyway ... I think Pettersson is 3 years of development away from playing regular NHL. 2 seasons in SHL and 1 in AHL. Depends on how quickly he puts on weight and strength obviously and he could exceed this but looking at him today I'm not confident he'll get there any quicker.

Nor should he be rushed. Whatever his ceiling is, I'm in no mood to see it jeopardized by rushing him. Let this one come along at his own pace please.

That's actually a bit concerning for a 5th overall pick...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyway ... I think Pettersson is 3 years of development away from playing regular NHL. 2 seasons in SHL and 1 in AHL. Depends on how quickly he puts on weight and strength obviously and he could exceed this but looking at him today I'm not confident he'll get there any quicker.

Nor should he be rushed. Whatever his ceiling is, I'm in no mood to see it jeopardized by rushing him. Let this one come along at his own pace please.

If he's actually 3 full seasons away from the NHL (as well as being a late-98 birthdate so a year older than the rest of his draft class already) then he shouldn't have gone in the top 10 of this draft. And top-5 picks should generally never touch the AHL.

Pettersson should be a roster regular in 18-19 and if he isn't that's a major concern.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If he's actually 3 full seasons away from the NHL (as well as being a late-98 birthdate so a year older than the rest of his draft class already) then he shouldn't have gone in the top 10 of this draft. And top-5 picks should generally never touch the AHL.

Pettersson should be a roster regular in 18-19 and if he isn't that's a major concern.

But do you see that as likely? Like do you see him putting on enough mass and strength in 12 months to go from struggling physically against 18-19 year olds to playing in the NHL?

I don't. He looks a long ways off to me. I've honestly never seen an 18 year old prospect as weak or easily rubbed off the puck as Pettersson. If I'm to be optimistic about this pick then I have to relax the timelines around him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Yep. If he isn't than the recovery is pushed back another year or two yet again.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

Pierre-Luc Dubois
Jesse Puljijarvi
Olli Juolevi

Pretty much busts if they are not full time NHLers this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But do you see that as likely? Like do you see him putting on enough mass and strength in 12 months to go from struggling physically against 18-19 year olds to playing in the NHL?

I don't. He looks a long ways off to me. I've honestly never seen an 18 year old prospect as weak or easily rubbed off the puck as Pettersson. If I'm to be optimistic about this pick then I have to relax the timelines around him.

I don't see why he shouldn't be able to add 10-12 lbs. to his frame between now and October 2018. And guys like RNH and Nicklas Backstrom were able to play and produce in the NHL as underdeveloped twigs. And he'll have already played against men for three full years.

The numbers are pretty overwhelming that guys taken in this range should be playing in the NHL at age 20. And if that isn't a reasonable expectation, we should have taken someone else. Pretty much the whole point of a top-5 pick is that you should get a sure-fire contributor who contributes soon.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pierre-Luc Dubois
Jesse Puljijarvi
Olli Juolevi

Pretty much busts if they are not full time NHLers this year.

Intentionally mis-reading posts and inventing stuff is garbage posting. Nobody ever used the word 'bust'.

If Dubois and Puljujarvi are in the AHL in their 20 y/o season after being top-5 picks, their development is going poorly and is a cause for concern. Absolutely.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't see why he shouldn't be able to add 10-12 lbs. to his frame between now and October 2018. And guys like RNH and Nicklas Backstrom were able to play and produce in the NHL as underdeveloped twigs. And he'll have already played against men for three full years.

The numbers are pretty overwhelming that guys taken in this range should be playing in the NHL at age 20. And if that isn't a reasonable expectation, we should have taken someone else. Pretty much the whole point of a top-5 pick is that you should get a sure-fire contributor who contributes soon.

I'm not arguing the merits of the pick, I'm solely arguing the likelihood that he's physically ready for the NHL in 12 months time. Based on what I've seen in camp and at the summer showcase I'd be surprised.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to the Swedish coaching staff, Pettersson is one of the most skilled kids in their entire program.....and obviously they've scouted and watched him more than anyone else.

So I'm not losing any sleep over one hockey tournament in the middle of summer. Still relatively easy to predict he'll be in the NHL after this season, particularly if the Sedins hang 'em up....and even if they don't they'd be great mentors for the kid in Vancouver. Maybe Pettersson and Dahlen can develop some of that 'Sedinery'.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That's actually a bit concerning for a 5th overall pick...

I'm not too worried. Extremely unlikele this team will do jack**** within 2-3 years anyways. Keep our prospects away from Benning and all the mess touched by Benning isn't a bad thing.

I like the brains and skills the kid's shown so far. Easier to make up for lack of strength with brains than the other way around.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I find it incredibly unlikely that someone on here can eyeball a player today and know whether or not it will be 24 months or 36 months before they will be physically ready to play in the NHL. You are essentially guessing.

Yes, he's not physically ready right now. Yes, it will take some time for him to gain weight. Beyond that, who knows.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not too worried. Extremely unlikele this team will do jack**** within 2-3 years anyways. Keep our prospects away from Benning and all the mess touched by Benning isn't a bad thing.

I like the brains and skills the kid's shown so far. Easier to make up for lack of strength with brains than the other way around.

Very true, but I still contend by his draft +3 season he needs to be in the NHL. If not then there's a huge concern.

I'm okay with him going back to Sweden this year. Next year he needs to come in and dominate in Utica, with maybe a cup of coffee up in Vancouver. Then he should be up here.

If Benning is still here in 2-3 years this team is seriously screwed anyway.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very true, but I still contend by his draft +3 season he needs to be in the NHL. If not then there's a huge concern.

I'm okay with him going back to Sweden this year. Next year he needs to come in and dominate in Utica, with maybe a cup of coffee up in Vancouver. Then he should be up here.

If Benning is still here in 2-3 years this team is seriously screwed anyway.

If he's not in the NHL in his draft+3 season in 19-20 as a guy who was already a late birthdate at his draft with two full years experience playing against men ... the pick is shaping up like a disaster.

Pretty much anyone from his draft range who is going to amount to anything significant should be playing in the NHL at age 20. And I don't see any reason why he couldn't or shouldn't be here in 18-19.

People *always* set expectations way too low for prospects and are then surprised when prospects who are 'tracking pretty good' in their minds end up busting.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Pettersson doing what he does best: https://streamable.com/bktye

That's at the skills comp on Vaxjo Lakers

I'm a fan of his, and that's great to see.
But there he had all the time and space in the world.

His hands are great, no question about it. But it's how he learns
to deal with big strong guys who want to knock him down and are
just as quick on skates as he is, where everyone is coming at him
in a confined space 5 on 5, not on the PP or in static shootouts: that's
the actual dynamic NHL situation he's got to learn to excel in.

His strength, mass, and quickness need lots of improvement, but
I love his hands and hockey sense already.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If he's not in the NHL in his draft+3 season in 19-20 as a guy who was already a late birthdate at his draft with two full years experience playing against men ... the pick is shaping up like a disaster.

Pretty much anyone from his draft range who is going to amount to anything significant should be playing in the NHL at age 20. And I don't see any reason why he couldn't or shouldn't be here in 18-19.

People *always* set expectations way too low for prospects and are then surprised when prospects who are 'tracking pretty good' in their minds end up busting.

And some prospects expectations are set too high (how many second or third rounders to people project as top 6/top 4 players?).

A top 5 pick should make an impact very soon. I'm willing to give him the Nylander timeline, just because I'm hopeful for a new GM coming in next year wanting to keep his top prospects away from a teardown mess in 18-19, but aside from that you're right he should be pushing his way on this team next year even.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, to clarify - expectations for their upside and future role are set too high, but expectations for where they should be in their development if they're tracking to meet that upside are set way too low.

Guys who make it separate themselves early. Like Boeser has. Virtually every forward taken in the #3-8 overall range over the last decade who has amounted to anything of note has been an NHL regular at age 20. If you think Pettersson should be an impact player for this team, you should damn well be expecting him to shred the SEL next year and be on our lineup in October 2018.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Intentionally mis-reading posts and inventing stuff is garbage posting. Nobody ever used the word 'bust'.

If Dubois and Puljujarvi are in the AHL in their 20 y/o season after being top-5 picks, their development is going poorly and is a cause for concern. Absolutely.

I can't see the quoted post, but absolutely PLD and Poolparty are expected to be in the NHL for a good chunk of this season. For D I would say the timelines are a bit more forgiving though.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I find it incredibly unlikely that someone on here can eyeball a player today and know whether or not it will be 24 months or 36 months before they will be physically ready to play in the NHL. You are essentially guessing.

Yes, he's not physically ready right now. Yes, it will take some time for him to gain weight. Beyond that, who knows.

Well ya, cause someone asked in this thread how long they thought he'd take.

Like do people not understand what these threads are for? You can discuss things that are opinions and not past events or mathematical facts.

This board gets so uptight when anyone has a "glass is not 100% full" opinion about things. Yeesh.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

You went from concern to disaster pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad