Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Who would you take for the next 8 years?

• Pettersson

Votes: 153 30.1%
  • Hughes

Votes: 319 62.7%
  • Undecided, flip a coin

Votes: 37 7.3%

• Total voters

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
How is Hughes -2 while having 10 points in 4 games
It’s been four games and he (and the entire team) hasn’t been converting at 5on5 while the power play is at 43%. I don’t think anyone is worried about their even strength scoring - it will come.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
How is Hughes -2 while having 10 points in 4 games
Pretty easy to explain. Lots of PP points, and the goalie is saving 84% of shots with him out there to start the year. Last game was a tough one for Schmid. 3 GA on 0.7 xGA with Hughes out there.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Went with undecided. Surprised Jack is running away with it by such a wide margin. I (hate admitting) love Hughes but Pettersson isn’t significantly older and is definitely a better two way player. And the Devils have a very deep forward group for Jack to play with. I would have called this pretty even, maybe even giving a slight overall edge to Pete for completeness, so I’m surprised by the results.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Went with undecided. Surprised Jack is running away with it by such a wide margin. I (hate admitting) love Hughes but Pettersson isn’t significantly older and is definitely a better two way player. And the Devils have a very deep forward group for Jack to play with. I would have called this pretty even, maybe even giving a slight overall edge to Pete for completeness, so I’m surprised by the results.
The contract status is more or less deciding the poll imo.

In a vacuum I think they're pretty close. I would lean Petey but couldn't fault anyone taking Hughes, they're both special players.

With contracts included I have to take Hughes. 8M is a steal for what he brings and is guaranteed going to be better value than whatever Petey ends up signing.

Reactions: LokiDog

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

People seems to push this narrative because Pettersson got a lot of Selke love last season. All numbers from Hughes' previous seasons indicate that he's elite both ways too.

I'm not saying Jfresh player cards are perfect, but they at least use the same numbers to evaluate both players the same way. And watching both of them it's very clear that they are both excellent two-way players.

Flojy_qX0AEXz77

aq9yjm8q4xsa1.jpg

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Pretty easily Hughes. Better contract, better player. Btw, on Hughes not being a good two-way player, taking a look at something such as:
Flojy_qX0AEXz77.jpg:large

I'm not sure why he's considered bad defensively.

And yes, I know Pettersson's was 98% but that's due to the "finishing"-category being better, at least by this model.
proved your own theory wrong lol.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
People seems to push this narrative because Pettersson got a lot of Selke love last season. All numbers from Hughes' previous seasons indicate that he's elite both ways too.

I'm not saying Jfresh player cards are perfect, but they at least use the same numbers to evaluate both players the same way. And watching both of them it's very clear that they are both excellent two-way players.

Flojy_qX0AEXz77

aq9yjm8q4xsa1.jpg
Stop posting jfresh garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Flojy_qX0AEXz77

aq9yjm8q4xsa1.jpg

No doubt Hughes has a strong impact on both sides of the rink, though even before their breakout last year, Jersey was a much better overall possession and defensive team, and it can be difficult to compare when the teams are quite different, especially with goal based stats. For what it’s worth, Pettersson’s RAPM chart last year, trying to isolate performance looks better in terms of defensive numbers, though sometimes standing out on a weaker team can help a player there.

E944A962-B550-46CF-A65A-2BFFF0C05252.png
7EF83341-F26F-4999-A3A6-C75A8B1EE9DF.png

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
No doubt Hughes has a strong impact on both sides of the rink, though even before their breakout last year, Jersey was a much better overall possession and defensive team, and it can be difficult to compare when the teams are quite different, especially with goal based stats. For what it’s worth, Pettersson’s RAPM chart last year, trying to isolate performance looks better in terms of defensive numbers, though sometimes standing out on a weaker team can help a player there.

View attachment 755737View attachment 755738
Enough advanced stats.

From now on, argument quality is to be increased.

Find clips and make a montage of Petterssons defensive positioning and plays.

And same to Hughes fans, make montage of Hughes dazzling moves in the neutral zone.

Points and goals I have seen from both, and are already readily available.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

I think the conclusion is that they're both really good both ways. Using two-way game to prop up one and knock down the other just feels very wrong, that was my entire point, since they're both excellent at it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think the conclusion is that they're both really good both ways. Using two-way game to prop up one and knock down the other just feels very wrong, that was my entire point, since they're both excellent at it.

Yea for sure. I think sometimes people use two-way and defense almost interchangeably, and I do think Pettersson is a bit better there, but I think the idea that “similar points + better defense= Pettersson better” is too simplistic and ignores how much Hughes dominated matchups last year.

Reactions: Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Enough advanced stats.

From now on, argument quality is to be increased.

Find clips and make a montage of Petterssons defensive positioning and plays.

And same to Hughes fans, make montage of Hughes dazzling moves in the neutral zone.

Points and goals I have seen from both, and are already readily available.

Here you have some of everything Hughes. Great video!

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Not really. Jfresh cards take into account last 3 seasons. This includes jack’s sophomore season where he was a .66 ppg player. Obviously a way different player now
I think what Canucks fan just want to hear from Devils fans is acknowledgment that the Canucks finally have a premium center again, who is also u25.

No one minds and some may agree Jack Hughes is better, but you must at least try to give acknowledgement and validation to Vancouver

It would be the equivalent of one hug

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
You're free to post something that disputes it.

EDIT:

Just for you. Or are all models crap when they show something you don't agree with?

download-3.png
Anything that attempts to boil down to one number and declare it authoritative is trash. Pure trash and anyone who tries to make an argument like that should be dismissed as a joke immediately.

These people want to get some clout and sell you shit by making you feel smart for understanding a > b.

The actual stats are limited in value and need to be taken in context with more thought than these stupid cards.

Wouldn’t be a big deal except people just thoughtlessly post this crap as though it’s amazing information passed down by hockey geniuses vs just a collection of amateur data nerds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad