Speculation: Elias Lindholm vs. Sean Monahan

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012
I think if Monahan is still on the board we should pick him. From listening people talk about him and watching his play he seems like he is the perfect Devil player. He is a shy kid wont have a lot of pressure coming into NJ. In a video on youtube Dave Conte was calling him a sleeper in the draft. I think we all agree whatever we do with this pick, it prob will be a impact player in a few years. Also I can see us trading down and getting Domi. He seems like Parise type of player. From the games I watched him in, he is all over the ice like Zach used to be.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Monahan reminds me of Parise without the size issues. I'd take him over Lindholm, but I admit that part of it is my growing trepidation with drafting Swedish forwards. I don't want to see another skilled kid come over and have a tough time translating his play to the Devils. Monahan is a strong 2-way player and he's assuredly well-acclimated to the North American game. The way he's fallen has kind of reminded me of Couturier, and hopefully the Devils can luck out like Philly did last year.

EDIT: And I don't think defensive play or work ethic is ever gonna be an issue for Lindholm. I would just feel safer taking the Canadian kid in this instance. Can't say I'll be upset with pretty much any forward in the 7-12 range, to be honest.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Personally if Conte says something about someone I really don't trust it anymore. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but I have zero confidence in him.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Personally if Conte says something about someone I really don't trust it anymore. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but I have zero confidence in him.

I dunno, he's got a pretty good track record, even recently. Tedenby's the obvious black mark so far (at least Josefson's proved he can be a top AHL player), but if you look at the later rounds, Conte and Lou and Co. have done a great job. There's been a lot of players in the mid to late rounds that have become promising prospects. Guys like Henrique, Gelinas, Merrill, Boucher, and even Scarlett look like pretty great picks in hindsight, and then there's the next tier of guys like Urbom, Wohlberg, Helgeson, Gedig, Coleman, and Pietila who are all on track to get a chance at the highest level. There's only a few guys as a whole that have just completely busted quickly and that's pretty excellent when you look around the league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I dunno, he's got a pretty good track record, even recently. Tedenby's the obvious black mark so far (at least Josefson's proved he can be a top AHL player), but if you look at the later rounds, Conte and Lou and Co. have done a great job. There's been a lot of players in the mid to late rounds that have become promising prospects. Guys like Henrique, Gelinas, Merrill, Boucher, and even Scarlett look like pretty great picks in hindsight, and then there's the next tier of guys like Urbom, Wohlberg, Helgeson, Gedig, Coleman, and Pietila who are all on track to get a chance at the highest level. There's only a few guys as a whole that have just completely busted quickly and that's pretty excellent when you look around the league.
I can't disagree with you on the later round guys. And undrafted guys as well like Clarkson, and Greene.

I just want a good forward (Please no defensemen, do not care how good Jones is I do not want) who hopefully can jump right in. A guy who hopefully won't be benched, or put on the 4th line either. Honestly I have no confidence in Pete there. Like Pete as a coach, but not a fan of how he handles the younger players. After seeing what happened with Fayne, and Larsson this year and how they were treated, dare I say even he had too short of a leash with even Tedenby?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Now that I think about it I want lindholm over monahan. Every two-way forward who has come to NJ turned into stone hands and every skilled offensive players have turned into two-way players. I think I'd rather take the skilled offensive player and mold him into a two-way player who can actually score.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

The draft is largely a crapshoot and there is very little separating scouting departments across the NHL.

The best one can really do is not **** up completely, like drafting someone like Tyler Biggs in the first round. Otherwise, you're riding the odds.

Nabbing Henrique, Halischuk, Gelinas, Urbom, Larsson, Severson, Matteau, Scarlett, and Boucher in the last five drafts isn't a bad haul.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
The draft is largely a crapshoot and there is very little separating scouting departments across the NHL.

The best one can really do is not **** up completely, like drafting someone like Tyler Biggs in the first round. Otherwise, you're riding the odds.

Nabbing Henrique, Halischuk, Gelinas, Urbom, Larsson, Severson, Matteau, Scarlett, and Boucher in the last five drafts isn't a bad haul.

Adding Josefson, and Merrill to this list and in total agreement that we've done pretty well considering our draft position average the past few years.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Adding Josefson, and Merrill to this list and in total agreement that we've done pretty well considering our draft position average the past few years.

I'll add that it's usually good or bad development which determines what happens with your prospects. A good development system can make average scouts look like geniuses. A bad one can bust promising prospects and make good scouts look foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad