Speculation: Elias Lindholm rejected a 8 year, 72M dollar deal from Calgary (9.0M per)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If I was him I'd rather a 7x7 from a top 10 team than to waste my career in Calgary

For some reason, sport fan peons seem to never fully understand the concept of leaving 23 million pretax on the table to ‘play for someone better’.

That’s multi generational money. 40 years from now your grandchildren won’t remember your Stanley cup; they’ll remember that contract that ensured they’d never struggle a day in their lives.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I bet he’ll still get 8 million

For some reason, sport fan peons seem to never fully understand the concept of leaving 23 million pretax on the table to ‘play for someone better’.

That’s multi generational money. 40 years from now your grandchildren won’t remember your Stanley cup; they’ll remember that contract that ensured they’d never struggle a day in their lives.
He is making multi generational money either way.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I don't think he's worth that kind of money anyways.

"Major Financial Mistake From Lindholm

While it worked out great for the Flames, Lindholm and his agent have to be kicking themselves for not signing the deal they were offered during training camp. Unless the Swedish centre can heat up quickly for the remainder of the season, he won’t receive any contract offers close to the $9 million salary he was offered by Conroy in October. Not only was it a greedy decision, but it was one that really proved he didn’t want to be in Calgary. As far as losing out on all that money goes, he has no one to blame but himself."
Obviously he doesn't want to play there. Because that is great contract

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So basically he just wants out of Calgary? He can't be worth much more than that, if at all.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Thanks Lindy.

He’ll probably get 8-8.5 on the open market, even with how shitty his play has been this season (by his standards).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Cause his grand kids would struggle if he only made 7 mil a year??? What is that minimum wage?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I don't think he's worth that kind of money anyways.

"Major Financial Mistake From Lindholm

While it worked out great for the Flames, Lindholm and his agent have to be kicking themselves for not signing the deal they were offered during training camp. Unless the Swedish centre can heat up quickly for the remainder of the season, he won’t receive any contract offers close to the $9 million salary he was offered by Conroy in October. Not only was it a greedy decision, but it was one that really proved he didn’t want to be in Calgary. As far as losing out on all that money goes, he has no one to blame but himself."

He will still get paid big money. The cap is going up 3-5 mil, which increases teams that can pay him.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Cause his grand kids would struggle if he only made 7 mil a year??? What is that minimum wage?
It’s just always absurd when hockey fans flippantly say they’d be willing to leave millions of dollars on the table to play for a “winner” or for their home town team. Talk to us when you’ve faced that situation (not you specifically, but the folks who lightly throw that around). I’m sure there are guys who will take a bit less to go to a more favorable situation, but not many guys are leaving significant money on the table when they have a limited time to strike.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If this is true, he’s out of his f***ing mind.

Not necessary.

You think Hubs is having fun in Calgary?

Or would you think he’d he happier on a good/great team making 1M less?

At the end if day Lindholm will have made an insane amount of money and his family won’t have to worry about money the next 100 years.

So do you rather take the max while knowing you& the team is trapped or play somewhere else for a bit less and have a shot at competing for multiple years?

You realize what you are writing?

He’s going to make that money anyways and he’s allowed to be happy?

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
pretty fair offer. but if your going to pay huberdeau 10.5 i can see why he's holding out for more. i think he just wants out personally.

Last edited:

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
The good thing about money is the opportunity it affords you. He's probably not going to get as much elsewhere, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it personally. Maybe he makes 10-20% less somewhere else where he is excited to play. I would hope at least some of these NHL'ers are grateful just to be in the league and healthy. They've already hit the lottery in a lot of ways, and at the end of the day there's only so much you can spend your money on. Playing where you want for the better part of a decade in a town your family wants to be has its own price. I would totally take a pay cut to play in the metro where the difference in travel is a major quality of life improvement for my family, or to play in city with great weather year round and near the ocean. Worrying about the 10-20% raise you missed out on at a job you didn't want to take is good way to be miserable.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

It’s just always absurd when hockey fans flippantly say they’d be willing to leave millions of dollars on the table to play for a “winner” or for their home town team. Talk to us when you’ve faced that situation (not you specifically, but the folks who lightly throw that around). I’m sure there are guys who will take a bit less to go to a more favorable situation, but not many guys are leaving significant money on the table when they have a limited time to strike.

Whomever dies with the most toys wins!

I dunno, I think a lot of people take 10% less in their regular jobs to stay in a situation that makes them happier. I know I do. And frankly, if that wasn't the case in the NHL, more folks would be making it to UFA to try to squeeze every last buck.

When you are making that kind of scratch, its just numbers on a spreadsheet, its not actually affecting your life.

If you are worried about your great great grandkids, watch your spending and invest more. If you are enjoying your life without having to spend spend spend to get there, you are doing a better job at living, anyway.

Reactions: Grantham and gianni

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Sobering reminder of the lengths some guys will go to get the hell out of Calgary. Its funny that choosing personal happiness over the biggest contract is being criticized here though. Can you imagine what terrible people his grandkids would have to be to resent Lindholm for merely taking a $50 million deal in a city he wanted to live in rather than a $70 million deal in a place that made him miserable?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Remember 9M American take home in Calgary is the same as 7.7M take home in states without a tax. Some states would result in a higher tax bill mind you, but generally he will pay less in a lot of places. So even signing at 7M may not be that big a loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad