Rumor: El Niño wants out of Long Island

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
I like him, but we need centers and defensemen. Backlund+Butler+average prospect or 4th round pick for Nino + salary dump is what I would do.

So you trade a center and a defenseman for a player we don't need?

:amazed:

Why would any trade two guys who have already shown they can play in the NHL for this malcontent who has yet to show he has the ability? Especially when they are youngish players in their own right? Also, the Calgary Flames should not be trading away draft picks any time soon. They are going to be top five picks in each round, so they are best served to sit on them and use them to restock the minors.

If I were to make a deal for Nino, it would be something along the lines of a middling prospect (Nemisz or Howse) and a veteran the Flames need to get rid of (Cammalleri or Bouwmeester). I'd table that and leave it at that. Nothing else of value or anything that will not help the team moving forward.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What about Nemisz and Butler as a starting point? Nino does not have the value of the 5th overall in this upcoming draft. Maybe Feaster could sell them on Nemisz, hell throw in Howse to.

lol

2 busts and a fringe dman?

Milbury does not run the Isles any more.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This isn't going to work for either club, obviously. If we were talking about Strome, that would be different. The Islanders need to be talking to clubs who need wingers and have defensemen to spare. The Rangers fits the bill IMO.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This isn't going to work for either club, obviously. If we were talking about Strome, that would be different. The Islanders need to be talking to clubs who need wingers and have defensemen to spare. The Rangers fits the bill IMO.

The Isles would never trade Nino to the Rangers lol.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
So you trade a center and a defenseman for a player we don't need?

:amazed:

No, we trade two underachieving players on bad contracts, saving about $10M in cap space, for a premium prospect.

Not that the Islanders would have any interest in getting that return. They could get someone's 1st in any trade they want to do.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
To get Nino, I think it would cost Sven.

Did I miss where Niño looked great at the NHL level? Why give up a lot for this kid? I'm thinking he's worth an Erixon type return the Flames got, at best. Niño isn't even the Islanders best prospect and you guys are talking about selling e farm for him. I think middling prospect and a pick or a big name player in need of a change of scenery. Anything more than that is a gross overpayment.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would get this guy in a heartbeat, like; this is a kid that has potential to be a real star in this league given the chance, he was showing in the AHL just what kind of skill he brings to the table. However, since he's done nothing at the NHL level, while having been up for 50+ games already; have to think you'd have to give a Turris type deal.

Have to look for a Turris type deal:
Turris for David Rundblad + 2nd.

So; if you kind of translate that to Calgary:
Nino for Brodie + 2nd; perhaps Brodie alone since he's proven he can play at the NHL level quite effectively.

It won't be free; and I think Flames fans need to realize you can't over value their own players, have to be willing to take a risk on this kid and gamble on some players we currently have.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I think Nino at best is a bigger version of Glenny. Which is good or bad depending how you look at it. Right but as mentioned before he is lw and never played with Sven. He lined up with Ryan Johaneson in Portland.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I would get this guy in a heartbeat, like; this is a kid that has potential to be a real star in this league given the chance, he was showing in the AHL just what kind of skill he brings to the table. However, since he's done nothing at the NHL level, while having been up for 50+ games already; have to think you'd have to give a Turris type deal.

Nino for Brodie + 2nd; perhaps Brodie alone since he's proven he can play at the NHL level quite effectively.

It won't be free; and I think Flames fans need to realize you can't over value their own players, have to be willing to take a risk on this kid and gamble on some players we currently have.

I would gamble on Brodie becoming a #1 defenceman way before I would move him for a player who can't crack the ISLANDERS lineup! for goodness sakes this guy has less goals in the NHL than Baertschi! and he's only played 7 games!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would gamble on Brodie becoming a #1 defenceman way before I would move him for a player who can't crack the ISLANDERS lineup! for goodness sakes this guy has less goals in the NHL than Baertschi! and he's only played 7 games!

I'm just saying, these trades that are like:
Nemisz, Butler, Bag of pucks for this kid won't happen.

I'm not saying that's what Calgary should do, it's what they'll have to do to make this trade.
Keep in mind, this kids AHL numbers are very, very good. And while he was brought up by NYI last year, he was buried quickly, I believe his Average TOI in his 60some odd NHL games is like 10 minutes, that's goon numbers; not top tier prospect time.

The thing about this trade, and the reason I'd like to see it happen (For I don't know what), is because it'd bring Calgary closer to a transition. Having Backlund, Sven, Nino and John Gaudreau is 4 young assets moving forward... Something we haven't had... since I can remember.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I'm just saying, these trades that are like:
Nemisz, Butler, Bag of pucks for this kid won't happen.

I'm not saying that's what Calgary should do, it's what they'll have to do to make this trade.
Keep in mind, this kids AHL numbers are very, very good. And while he was brought up by NYI last year, he was buried quickly, I believe his Average TOI in his 60some odd NHL games is like 10 minutes, that's goon numbers; not top tier prospect time.

The thing about this trade, and the reason I'd like to see it happen (For I don't know what), is because it'd bring Calgary closer to a transition. Having Backlund, Sven, Nino and John Gaudreau is 4 young assets moving forward... Something we haven't had... since I can remember.

Except that Brodie is apart of that young core. You can't just have young forwards, it doesn't work. As an organization the Flames have two potential top 4 defensive prospects in Brodie and Wotherspoon, and Brodie is almost finished with his development, you don't move a guy you spent so many resources developing for another guy you'll have to spend so many resources developing. At least for the Islanders, a deal centered around Butler and Nemisz addresses needs they have without selling our farm. Hell include a goaltending prospect if you want, send them Brossiot, that should peak their interest, people seem to have high hopes for him, I don't but some people do. But my point is, give to get, but don't give foolishly just because you want something, and don't pay more than market value, his price dropped drastically when his agent publicly stated he wanted out.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Not the same kind of situation Turris had no contract Nino is signed for 2 more years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not the same kind of situation Turris had no contract Nino is signed for 2 more years.

Want to try again before you comment?
Kyle Turris was traded under contract, I'm not saying that it's the turris situation, I'm saying that the return will be similar. You're looking at a decent prospect plus pick, not freebies.

What do you people not understand?
I also didn't say trade Brodie, but that's what it'd probably take lol... People need to read before they post.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Want to try again before you comment?
Kyle Turris was traded under contract, I'm not saying that it's the turris situation, I'm saying that the return will be similar. You're looking at a decent prospect plus pick, not freebies.

What do you people not understand?
I also didn't say trade Brodie, but that's what it'd probably take lol... People need to read before they post.

It was essentially a sign and trade as he held out until November before signing and was traded after 6 games.

I agree I think it will be higher then what Turris got.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
NYI would ask for Brodie to be in the deal for sure, don't you guys think?

The Islanders fans keep mentioning young top end defence as their primary need. After a little thought, Giordano (top 3) or Brodie (top 3-4 potential) would be the most likely targets, maybe with Vishnovsky coming back for a small return.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Niederreider is no where near what Turris was as a player. His 1 goal in 55 games was pretty lame, but his -29 in that same timespan was epic! Turris got Rundblad and a second back. Niño should get no where near that. I have no idea why you guys feel he holds so much value?

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Niederreider is no where near what Turris was as a player. His 1 goal in 55 games was pretty lame, but his -29 in that same timespan was epic! Turris got Rundblad and a second back. Niño should get no where near that. I have no idea why you guys feel he holds so much value?

I think this sums it up nicely.

I think we should be using the Erixon trade for reference instead of Turris.
Prospect + two 2nd's. Obviously it doesn't need to be that exact formula, but something around those lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: