Rumor: El Niño wants out of Long Island

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I don't know how much the cost would be but I would hope that Feaster is all over this if it is the case.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
It sounds like, if true, Nino's sticking point was not coming back to the NHL.

If so, the Flames would need to lose a winger at the least, whether by this trade or another, to accommodate him. The Islanders are also devastatingly low on the back end currently, so I suspect a player like Giordano or Bouwmeester will be asked about.

I can't reasonably see a good trade between the two teams that both will agree to.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

If so, the Flames would need to lose a winger at the least, whether by this trade or another, to accommodate him. The Islanders are also devastatingly low on the back end currently, so I suspect a player like Giordano or Bouwmeester will be asked about.

I can't reasonably see a good trade between the two teams that both will agree to.

If the Isles ask for Gio or Bouw, they better be giving up a lot more than just Nino...

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/8869595/nino-niederreiter-seeks-traded-new-york-islanders-source-says

"NEW YORK -- Nino Niederreiter's camp has requested a trade from the New York Islanders, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.

The former first-round pick (5th overall, 2010) is unhappy with his current situation, the source said, and feels he would be best served playing somewhere other than with the Islanders organization.

The 20-year-old Swiss winger, who spent more than half the season with the big club last season, was not even invited to the team's training camp despite leading the team's AHL affiliate in scoring. Niederreiter has 19 goals and 17 assists in 36 games for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

His agent informed Islanders general manager Garth Snow of the request last week, the source said, although Snow is not believed to be amenable to doing a deal -- at least at the moment.

There has been growing concern about Niederreiter's development since last season. Although the young prospect appeared in 55 games for the Islanders, he was used in a limited role. He managed only one goal, causing many to feel he'd be better off playing in Bridgeport and to speculate that the team could be keeping him around for cap purposes (i.e. his entry-level contract bonuses helped the team hover slightly above the cap floor).

During the lockout, Niederreiter began the year in Bridgeport and has flourished, leaving him and his camp baffled as to why he didn't get a chance to crack the roster."

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
If the Isles ask for Gio or Bouw, they better be giving up a lot more than just Nino...

That's the problem I see.

The Flames value the D more than market, because we are so low on them. At the same time, the Flames also devalue Nino because we're stuck with high numbers of wingers.

It's not a situation which I can see an acceptable trade for both sides working out. Unless the team goes full rebuild or something.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009

It could be very tough but considering the Visnovsky situation for NYI, Calgary could hold the cards here. Ask for Visnovsky (if he's willing to be a Flame) Nino and maybe another 1st round pick and yeah see if you can get rid of Bouwmeester and maybe a pick or another roster player. It could be more realistic than you think if Calgary is willing to part with one of their top 2 dmen.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I could see this holding off until the deadline (similar to the Hodgson - Kassian trade).

If we are out of it, I could see us looking to deal with the Isles... I think they would want Giordano though.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Bouwmeester horak for niño Nielsen and dipietro whom we will buy out in the summer

I've heard (dunno how accurate) that the Isles management actually likes the Dipietro contract... It allows them to hit the cap floor without paying a penny out of their wallets... (insurance.)

Not sure how accurate that is though?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Cost would be high. Snow won't move Nino before at least giving him a chance in the NHL. They'd ask for Baertschi, or Brodie, or Giordano. If were lucky, Bouwmeester, but that of course would create a massive hole in the lineup and the Flames are already pretty strong on the wings.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Man would i like to see nino in a flames jersey, the asking price definitely is the issue, if were making a playoff push early april, i cant see us parting with one of our top D, if were rebuilding however id be all over this, maybe a trade on draft day? (provided hes still available by then)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I suspect it would have to be part of a larger package deal, and if we act on the premise that Feaster/ownership aren't going the tank & rebuild route, I'd be looking for a young NHL-ready centre to be added to that package.

I will admit that a Giordano / Wideman top pairing scares me a little.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What about Nemisz and Butler as a starting point? Nino does not have the value of the 5th overall in this upcoming draft. Maybe Feaster could sell them on Nemisz, hell throw in Howse to.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Bouwmeester horak for niño Nielsen and dipietro whom we will buy out in the summer

I want Nino bad I would think something like
Jbo, Horak, Ferland
for
Nino, Crakner(would love Mcdonald but he is to good to get with Nino), Nelson, Dipietro

Then try to move Stemps + Crakner for a more physical defensemen.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I doubt the Flames take DiPietro even if the Islanders offer all of their 2013 draft picks as compensation.

Ownership isn't going to throw away $24 million on basically nothing, especially the same ownership who didn't want to bury Kotalik in the minors for $3 million.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I doubt the Flames take DiPietro even if the Islanders offer all of their 2013 draft picks as compensation.

Ownership isn't going to throw away $24 million on basically nothing, especially the same ownership who didn't want to bury Kotalik in the minors for $3 million.

The difference is if Feaster can show them that we will be just as strong now with this trade as well as adding a top 30 prospect in the nhl then I think they do it.
Tanguay - Cammy - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Sven - Backlund - Nino

looks deadly and could save this team several years in an eventual rebuild. Esntially the owners think they will lose money in a rebuild thus they don't want one but if Feaster can convince them one is coming no matter what (it is) and that the 24 million they spend on Dipietro is out weighed but getting Nino to help this rebuild take several years less then I think they do it.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica

If it makes the team better I don't see why not. It's not like our ownership is afraid to spend money and the buyout wouldn't count against the cap. I've heard that the owners were contempt with kotalik and Hagman in the minors

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad