Eklund re-updates (Is that even a word?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
Peter said:
Do we know who Eklund really is?? Any guesses? He says he lives in Philly, has worked for two NHL teams and has been printed articles in both Hockey News and on NHL.com.
He could be in is parents basement having a lot of fun with all of us....

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
CRAZY_FAN said:

He's been right before, he's been wrong before, Here is hoping he is right .

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
CRAZY_FAN said:

If that's the case, he should attach a copy of his website to his resume and send it off to the National Enquirer or Star or Globe or New York Post, 'cuz if you ask me, the stuff he's putting out is well put together & presented and seems quite legit.

In looking yesturday for example, he posted in the a.m. something big was in the works and he'd report later ... sure enoguh the Linden, etel meeting at an undisclosed location came out a few hours later in all media outlets.... he also mentioned Dec. 1st that Snyder was skeptical of Betman. Recently, I read somewhere (possibly Bob Mckenzie) else that several owners from both ends of the spectrum are willing to look at the luxury tax system......

Maybe he is making this stuff up, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt & take his word for it that these rumours are legit until someone can solidly proove otherwise....

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
I too am hoping this is true.

What this does tell us, though, is that its been Goodenow all along thats held up the process. It finally took some players with gonads to stand up to the Gestapo tactics and finally move WITHOUT him.

My bet: if a deal IS struck this weekend, Goodenow is shown the door as the PA boss by the end of the season. :handclap:

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
I was initially skeptical, but put hope into him.

As was noted - he's been right about some issues that you really don't think he'd be able to just randomly guess - but also been wrong.

Even the staunch opposition of "UnEkland" has begun to come around.

Right or wrong, it provides hope and once again shows how bloggers are gaining more and more weight in this information age (right or wrong).

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
I too am hoping this is true.

What this does tell us, though, is that its been Goodenow all along thats held up the process. It finally took some players with gonads to stand up to the Gestapo tactics and finally move WITHOUT him.

My bet: if a deal IS struck this weekend, Goodenow is shown the door as the PA boss by the end of the season. :handclap:
Dont forget, all the NHLPA sheep here think he is doing wonderful job getting them the best deal possible. All hes done is lose them half a seasons wages.
:lol

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Didn't Fischler say pretty much the same thing (re: a team vote) about a week ago?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Steve L said:
Dont forget, all the NHLPA sheep here think he is doing wonderful job getting them the best deal possible. All hes done is lose them half a seasons wages.
:lol

You're way off my friend. I am one of the most pro-NHLPA people here, however I hope to God both of them get fired. The lack of any negotiations is ridiculous. They've let business get personal, and that is why they need to go. In fact, I kinda hope this meeting with Linden is actually to discuss firing the heads, and working from there, it'd be alot more progress than anything else thus far.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Right or wrong, it provides hope and once again shows how bloggers are gaining more and more weight in this information age (right or wrong).

The thing is, this isn't or shouldn't be what blogging is about. Most credible bloggers are willing to reveal their identities. This guy isn't. His rationale for it, that he can't reveal himself or he would lose sources, is absurd. You don't think that NHL players are on the web surfing the internet? You don't think his site is well known amongst those who surf these sorts of forums? I'm sure that if anyone had really been talking to him confidentially, they would be well aware that he was reposting their comments on his website. If they had a problem with it, and this was costing him sources for the work that pays the bills, he wouldn't be doing this. It's guys like this who hurt the credibility of the blogospere. It's one thing if you just want to provide analysis and hide behind an assumed identity-it's quite another if you are claiming to be reporting fact.

Again going to the veracity of what he's saying...the guy's a professed professional writer of 15 years experience. He's told us this-he's upfront about it. In spite of this, he spells words like "lose" as "loose". There's no reason to do that to hide the fact that he's a writer-remember, he's telling us that he's a writer. It's all ********. If someone has paid this guy for his writing, I'm Wayne Gretzky.

Lanny MacDonald*

CarlRacki said:
Didn't Fischler say pretty much the same thing (re: a team vote) about a week ago?

Yup, but he's not a pro-NHLPA sycophant so it was obviously a rouse on the owners part!

What's funny is that Eric Duhatschek mentioned the possiblity of a modified salary cap and explained the value of it. Today Bruce Dowbiggen was on the radio beating the drum saying what a brilliant idea he had come up with and how the game would be saved by his idea.

:lol:

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
GregStack said:
You're way off my friend. I am one of the most pro-NHLPA people here, however I hope to God both of them get fired. The lack of any negotiations is ridiculous. They've let business get personal, and that is why they need to go. In fact, I kinda hope this meeting with Linden is actually to discuss firing the heads, and working from there, it'd be alot more progress than anything else thus far.
I also hope they both get fired but most of the pro NHLPA love Goodenow and seem to think hes some kind of hero when in fact hes been the enemy all along.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
The thing is, this isn't or shouldn't be what blogging is about. Most credible bloggers are willing to reveal their identities. This guy isn't. His rationale for it, that he can't reveal himself or he would lose sources, is absurd. You don't think that NHL players are on the web surfing the internet? You don't think his site is well known amongst those who surf these sorts of forums? I'm sure that if anyone had really been talking to him confidentially, they would be well aware that he was reposting their comments on his website. If they had a problem with it, and this was costing him sources for the work that pays the bills, he wouldn't be doing this. It's guys like this who hurt the credibility of the blogospere. It's one thing if you just want to provide analysis and hide behind an assumed identity-it's quite another if you are claiming to be reporting fact.

I wouldn't discredit him for this. If he's relatively known and has friends in the NHL (players and GMs), it could be easy to find out who was leaking info. On the other hand, with his current setup, it could be anyone (his sources).

P.S.: I think you need to take everything he says with a grain of salt. I'm not saying he's the real thing, he could be a fraud. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's against logic that his sources could be identified if we knew who he was.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Smail said:
P.S.: I think you need to take everything he says with a grain of salt. I'm not saying he's the real thing, he could be a fraud. All I'm saying is that I don't think it's against logic that his sources could be identified if we knew who he was.

"Real" reporters like Al Strachan and Larry Brooks are able to use quotes from unnamed sources, without those sources being discovered. Gary Bettman is reduced to pleading at news conferences to have their identities shared. What makes Eklund so special?

Still, even buying that, how do you explain his 9th grade writing level?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Steve L said:
I also hope they both get fired but most of the pro NHLPA love Goodenow and seem to think hes some kind of hero when in fact hes been the enemy all along.

Fair enough then. We agree.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
What makes you think

mudcrutch79 said:
"Real" reporters like Al Strachan and Larry Brooks are able to use quotes from unnamed sources, without those sources being discovered. Gary Bettman is reduced to pleading at news conferences to have their identities shared. What makes Eklund so special?

Still, even buying that, how do you explain his 9th grade writing level?

Writers write good?

Normally they have editors that correct their spelling.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
AM said:
Writers write good?

Normally they have editors that correct their spelling.

Nobody who writes that poorly could get hired as a writer for any credible news outlet. End of story. There's not much more I can say about that. I got into a public pissing contest with a professional writer about some errors he made-I'm not at all impressed with his level of writing-and he's still eons ahead of this bozo.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
I guess we will have to be on the look-out for a "major story for a major hockey publication." from Fairbanks Alaska. Then we will see if this guy is for real.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Oilhitch said:
I guess we will have to be on the look-out for a "major story for a major hockey publication." from Fairbanks Alaska. Then we will see if this guy is for real.

I'd love to know what that's suppposed to mean. All that's up there is college hockey. There are no major stories in college hockey. As for major hockey publications, I can't think of one besides THN, which provides crappy prospect coverage, and is no doubt squeezing because of the lockout. I certainly doubt they send reporters to Alaska.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
mudcrutch79 said:
I'd love to know what that's suppposed to mean. All that's up there is college hockey. There are no major stories in college hockey. As for major hockey publications, I can't think of one besides THN, which provides crappy prospect coverage, and is no doubt squeezing because of the lockout. I certainly doubt they send reporters to Alaska.

I was thinking the same thing, which is why it stood out to me.

X0ssbar

mudcrutch79 said:

Maybe he is doing a story on Scott Gomez playing for his hometown ECHL team up there :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad