Eklund re-updates (Is that even a word?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Oilhitch said:
I guess we will have to be on the look-out for a "major story for a major hockey publication." from Fairbanks Alaska. Then we will see if this guy is for real.

Why bother wasting energy complaining and being sarcastic? It is a freakin' blog for crying out loud. Also if you read the web page you could easily (at least it was for me anyway) see that he is based out of Philly.

I have been following his stuff all week and he has been a step ahead of TSN all week. Do you question TSN too?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
mudcrutch79 said:
"Real" reporters like Al Strachan and Larry Brooks are able to use quotes from unnamed sources, without those sources being discovered. Gary Bettman is reduced to pleading at news conferences to have their identities shared. What makes Eklund so special?

Still, even buying that, how do you explain his 9th grade writing level?

Why do you think it is so unrealistic that a guy who worked in the industry still has friends that would share info with him? Be a pessimist all you want, but the guy has been bang on all week.

Regarding his 9th grade writing, well it is a blog, not Time Magazine. We have some journalists on here (not naming names) that write very poorly in comparison with what they do in their weekly columns. You have heard of editors, right?

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Bruwinz37 said:
Why do you think it is so unrealistic that a guy who worked in the industry still has friends that would share info with him? Be a pessimist all you want, but the guy has been bang on all week.

Give me an example of something that he's been bang on about this week.

Regarding his 9th grade writing, well it is a blog, not Time Magazine. We have some journalists on here (not naming names) that write very poorly in comparison with what they do in their weekly columns. You have heard of editors, right?

Provide some names. The only one I'm aware of is Bob McKenzie, and his comments are have been well written, as far as I can remember. I'm very familiar with editors, but I believe that their function is generally to ensure that pieces flow properly, fit with the focus of the newspaper and that stories are tight and to the point. They aren't paying people to check spelling. If you can't write, which includes spelling correctly, you don't get to be a writer.

As for it being a blog, not Time magazine...I suspect that most people who spend as much time writing as professional writers do tend not to write sloppily the first time. It's easier to do it once properly, than it is to do it poorly and have to fix a ton of mistakes. Maybe one of these journalists that you've just referenced can enlighten us.

The ninth grade reference is as much his style as anything else. Those blog entries just don't read very comfortably. Go read some of Tom Benjamin's blog entries for a contrast with a writer who's developed a voice in which he writes. It's a fuzzy concept, but it's readily apparent to me.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to share mudcrutch's skepticism. Even within the casual confines inherent to blogdom, the writing is a tad too ham-handed for one claiming to be a professional journalist.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
And you would know about ham-handed journalists! :lol

I do know of one who was dyslexic. But that's the exception to the rule. He was also legally blind.

However, a "freelancer" like Eklund claims to be should certainly pay more attention to detail. Prospective employers no doubt would note his blog efforts.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Provide some names. The only one I'm aware of is Bob McKenzie, and his comments are have been well written, as far as I can remember.

Well if I wanted to provide names and drag someone into this I would have. There are other media types aside from Bob that post here. Because you are not aware of them is not my problem.

As far providing examples of what Eklund has been correct on I am referring to all of the developments leading up to tomorrow's meeting. You can waste time being negative all you want, but I dont just start believing whatever I read unless he a guy has proven something and IMO he has some sources of information that gives him credibility.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
Well if I wanted to provide names and drag someone into this I would have. There are other media types aside from Bob that post here. Because you are not aware of them is not my problem.

As far providing examples of what Eklund has been correct on I am referring to all of the developments leading up to tomorrow's meeting. You can waste time being negative all you want, but I dont just start believing whatever I read unless he a guy has proven something and IMO he has some sources of information that gives him credibility.

If this Pelle "Scoop" Eklund is everything he's supposedly cracked up to be, why is he giving his ace material away for free?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
I would also agree that Bettman's days are numbered too. :handclap:
how? the owners are telling him what to do, why would they fire him? if this rumour is true, the owners are coming out on top which would be a celebration for bettman....like it or not. i hate the guy too, but he is only doing what he has been told to do. this isnt his personal agenda.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Bruwinz37 said:

No, but as this thread should make clear, I find it difficult to take things on faith from anonymous internet users. That's particularly true when there's evidence the other way.

Are you kidding me? This guy has been saying for months that there are secret meetings and announcements just around the corner. Realistically, at some point, he has to be proven "correct"-if I say "It's going to rain tomorrow." every day, I'll be right at some point too. I don't see anything concrete in his blog that says "There will be a meeting between Linden and NHL officials" until after it was publicly announced. Prior to that, there was just the same vague allusions that there had been all along.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
how? the owners are telling him what to do, why would they fire him?

Because he'll have outlasted his usefulness. They'll be wanting a fresh face after all is said and done.

Bettman was brought in to be the Lyle Lanley Monorail salesman (if you remember the Simpsons episode) to sell the game in new markets and with new owners. That phase ended rather unceremoniously and now he's morphed into a hatchet man.

Bettman will be handsomely compensated upon his ouster anyways. Maybe the WNBA will be hiring by then.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
bleedgreen said:
how? the owners are telling him what to do, why would they fire him? if this rumour is true, the owners are coming out on top which would be a celebration for bettman....like it or not. i hate the guy too, but he is only doing what he has been told to do. this isnt his personal agenda.

I dont think Bettman is going to be fired for his performance in these CBA talks.. rather, I think hes going to be fired for the accumulative 10 years lack of progress in growing the NHL brand, sport and investment of the owners. Frankly, he hasnt done his job well at all. Thats what he's gonna get fired for.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
mudcrutch79 said:
No, but as this thread should make clear, I find it difficult to take things on faith from anonymous internet users. That's particularly true when there's evidence the other way.

Are you kidding me? This guy has been saying for months that there are secret meetings and announcements just around the corner. Realistically, at some point, he has to be proven "correct"-if I say "It's going to rain tomorrow." every day, I'll be right at some point too. I don't see anything concrete in his blog that says "There will be a meeting between Linden and NHL officials" until after it was publicly announced. Prior to that, there was just the same vague allusions that there had been all along.

Granted, but I have just started reading his material in the past two weeks. It has seemed he has been a step ahead of TSN for most of it.

I am not asking you to believe him, I could care less what you do. I am just saying that in the time *I* have been reading him he has been legit. I would be far more skeptical if his site was filled with ads and pop ups and thought he was making up stuff to make money, which he clearly doesnt seem to be doing.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Bicycle Repairman said:
If this Pelle "Scoop" Eklund is everything he's supposedly cracked up to be, why is he giving his ace material away for free?

Not sure. I do know I can read a lot of newspapers online for the bubble though and I know a lot of hockey rumor mongers are more inaccurate in a couple paragraphs than he seems to be in the past two weeks.

I understand its your "thing" to be contrarian so please don't mistake my positive outlook on what this guy has to say with trying to convince you and others to believe him. I could honeslty not care less.

FlyersFan10*

If a deal does get done, then it's almost a certain given that Goodenow and Bettman will be fired after this escapade. I think what you'll see are TRUE hockey people come in and run the show. For instance, from the owner's standpoint, I could see someone like a Ken Dryden leaving politics to become the NHL Commissioner and I could see someone like Mike Gartner head up the NHLPA. The fact that the two of them are former players and have a feel for the sport more than Goodenow and Bettman would be not only essential, but vital in repairing the damaged relationship between owners and players.

However, I do have to comment about this whole owners vs players though in that you seldom hear a player slag an owner or an owner slag a player. The mud slinging seems to be between the representatives of each organization. Makes one wonder whether or not that this is a personal issue between Bettman and Goodenow.

One more final statement. When Bettman says that a Luxury Tax wouldn't work because it would involve "guesswork", I'm wondering how can that be. If the owners can say for certain what their losses are and say for certain that they are paying out 75% of revenue for payroll, how can they not know what their payrolls are if a luxury tax system is in place?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
If a deal does get done, then it's almost a certain given that Goodenow and Bettman will be fired after this escapade. I think what you'll see are TRUE hockey people come in and run the show.
Goodenow IS a hockey person. I think he'll still be involved at the highest levels of the sport in some capacity.
FlyersFan10 said:
For instance, from the owner's standpoint, I could see someone like a Ken Dryden leaving politics to become the NHL Commissioner...
Meh.
FlyersFan10 said:
....and I could see someone like Mike Gartner head up the NHLPA.
Possible.
FlyersFan10 said:
However, I do have to comment about this whole owners vs players though in that you seldom hear a player slag an owner or an owner slag a player. The mud slinging seems to be between the representatives of each organization. Makes one wonder whether or not that this is a personal issue between Bettman and Goodenow.
From what I understand, they get along well in social situations.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
For one of the first times ever, I agree with BR. Ken Dryden has about much pull in the NHL as I have Google shares... as in "none".

Dryden is a hot-air machine. I couldnt stand him when he was at MLSE and, for all the bad moves the NHL has made over the years, I should hope that theyd be able to pick a MUCH better person for Commish. Like, say, Mario or Gretz.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
no13matssundin said:
I dont think Bettman is going to be fired for his performance in these CBA talks.. rather, I think hes going to be fired for the accumulative 10 years lack of progress in growing the NHL brand, sport and investment of the owners. Frankly, he hasnt done his job well at all. Thats what he's gonna get fired for.

Lack of progress in growth? Did you miss the massive franchise value and revenue explosion over the last 10 years? The best tv contracts ever have been on his watch. Merchandising through the roof. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in growth.

The problem is that most of it went to the players.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
PecaFan said:
Lack of progress in growth? Did you miss the massive franchise value and revenue explosion over the last 10 years? The best tv contracts ever have been on his watch. Merchandising through the roof. Hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars in growth.

The problem is that most of it went to the players.
Money from expansion revenue cant continue.
There is a worthless TV contract now.
Owners losing money.
The worst on ice product in the history of the NHL.

He has to go and its nothing to do with the talks on this CBA.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
Money from expansion revenue cant continue.
There is a worthless TV contract now.
Owners losing money.
The worst on ice product in the history of the NHL.

He has to go and its nothing to do with the talks on this CBA.

Bettman got a contract extention from the owners two or three years ago. I believe he's under contract until 2007. Sounds like a ringing endorsement from owners.

He put a lot of money in owners' pockets. Short term money, yes.

But most likely he moves on after all this. The League will want a fresh face at the helm.

Bettman will get a lucrative buyout, though. He's no dummy.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
I should hope that theyd be able to pick a MUCH better person for Commish. Like, say, Mario or Gretz.

Disagree. A well-grounded person with a strong sports administration/legal background is eminently more practical for running the NHL than a former player. Business is Business. Hockey is Hockey. The product should be sold for the faces on the ice, not the boardroom.

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
CoupeStanley said:
If this guy had source, he surely loose it in the process. I live in Philadelphia my nickname is Eklund and my email is [email protected]. We sure dont know who you are ...

I actually remember him as a quite good player...
I live in Montreal my nick name is Lafleur and my e-mail adress is [email protected] on this is just a name he decided to use he's not actually pelle eklund...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad