Rumor: Eklund: David Quinn to be next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Would you be shocked if the Pegulas made inquiries without informing the GM? I back the Pegulas for what they've done for amateur hockey in WNY and the money they spend but I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like that.

Much like now, I fully expected the Pegulas to make calls around, and I'm sure Quinn was a call of theirs.

The issue I take is the perceived level of interest and how "close" it was that Quinn could've been coach. I'm not denying that Sabres zero interest, I'm just saying that the interest level was at a very very low level in the task of finding a coach.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Quinn makes no sense because what Quinn is supposedly good at we have already in Granato and he is proven that he can actually reach the young guys and make them better which all other coaches before him failed miserably.
I guess they also share the same weakness but Granato has the upside here too because he might still get better with a full roster while Quinn seemed to have failed to lead the Ranger anywhere.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Well, if they’re trying to move Eichel, they probably won’t hire Quinn :laugh:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Other teams: "Let's hire the best available coach so we can win"

Sabres: "Let's hire the cheapest available in house option and ignore the multiple coaches with long track records of success"

The idea that a .333 points percentage is considered amazing is proof of how both the organization and fanbase have such low standards that they practically don't exist.

Reactions: EmeraldCitySabre

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

Sabres: "Let's hire the cheapest available in house option and ignore the multiple coaches with long track records of success"

The idea that a .333 points percentage is considered amazing is proof of how both the organization and fanbase have such low standards that they practically don't exist.
I dont think Granato is a bad hire even if he is the cheapest or an in house option. He did well in his interim stint, enough to warrant serious consideration. A full season or Granato and a healthy Eichel and Ullmark and we could have been in the position MTL is in right now. Who knows

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

No joke. What exactly did he do?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
A hire of Granato or some other non-proven winner will make me watch even less. My care level is almost rock bottom but that might bottom it out. I'm already on the trade Eichel train(keep Sam), so I don't get the college coach route. Teach kids? How about a teacher of NHL quality then? Oh no! A kid has to ride the pine for a game after f***ing up in a game. Not like that hasn't worked for... forever. This is snowflake quality BS talking. Yeah, let them play through mistakes at times. But to say nobody should ever ride pine due to a mistake is poor coaching. Know how people learn fire isn't to be touched? Pain. Know how to get players to stop making mistakes? Pain. Take, for example, the outdated fine policy in major league sports. The current values for fines are more representative of decades past. 5k to a guy making $1M+ per year? Pfft. That's NOT a deterrent. This is the same thing as not benching kids who repeatedly make mistakes. Or make gigantic ones. Maybe Ristolainen should have been benched a few times earlier on instead of playing 1/3rd of every game.

Gallant or, preferably, Boudeau or I'm out. I'll still post but I won't watch until they win with consistency. F the Pegulas.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

When you stop thinking that the organization has any plans to ice a competitive ice hockey team, but instead is looking to run an entertainment business for people to spend money at, you will not become so angry.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The vitriol for Granato is surprising. Players who suddenly looked like players when he took over the bench all praised his style and input. They looked like an NHL team under him, once the losing skid ended. He's been a winner at every level he's coached.
Well I think some have been blinded by the 'improvement' in a lot of the young players and are forgetting how atrocious they still were defensively, sure getting them to score more was nice, they also gave up a shipton in their own zone, record wouldve been worse if Tokarski/Houser didnt play so well for those 5 or so games. Yeah some of that blame lies in Bryson/Risto being caved in, younger D/F's still on the job training defensively. High event hockey was more fun to watch at least, but lets not pretend the hockey was all roses.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
It is probably right more than Eklund and as often as someone like Friedman.
Thats a fair assessment and like the comparison to a Friedman.

I remember him hitting a trade a few seasons ago, what else was the secret source in on? ( if you or anyone else remember)

Ive always taken Jeremy's secret source as himself trying to connect dots and a way to create content and talking points - which is very similar in a sense to a Friedman

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
...and I should clarify I'm not anti-Granato, I'm pretty much in the 'whatever' camp. The guy is a hockey lifer, I think he knows a thing or two at this point. Familiarity with the roster and young players is definitely a bonus. I'm not worried about him being in over his head at the NHL level.

My greatest concern with the outside experienced hire, is we don't know how knowledgeable of the roster & how they'll handle the younger players...Asplund, Borgen, R2, Sammuelsson, etc...who are these guys? Gimme some 'vets'...they end up the wrong ones again and we get more Shearys, Eakins, Millers etc to just spin the tires some more.

Reactions: Husko

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Well I think some have been blinded by the 'improvement' in a lot of the young players and are forgetting how atrocious they still were defensively, sure getting them to score more was nice, they also gave up a shipton in their own zone, record wouldve been worse if Tokarski/Houser didnt play so well for those 5 or so games. Yeah some of that blame lies in Bryson/Risto being caved in, younger D/F's still on the job training defensively. High event hockey was more fun to watch at least, but lets not pretend the hockey was all roses.

This is also at the end of the season where they had a handful of call-ups in the lineup. There are bound to be growing pains. But the 10,000 foot view is that the team looked significantly better under Granato, and he has a track record of being a successful head coach at every level he's worked at.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
No joke. What exactly did he do?

be the first coach in forever to let the kids develop put them in position to get experience without fear of being punished and not in a system that stifles talent and confuses everyone and as a result brought several young players back from the brink.

now you’ll say “a lot of coaches can do that”

and I’ll point out that the Sabres have managed to not hire one three times in a row.

if you have faith they would get it right the fourth time I think you’re crazy.

You aren’t winning the Stanley Cup no matter who you hire with this mess. At least hire someone who won’t ruin your young players anymore.

Coaches don’t last long. Get out of the ditch and then look for someone to take you beyond that level.

like a real team

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What you're not blown away with a 9-16-3 performance?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
be the first coach in forever to let the kids develop put them in position to get experience without fear of being punished and not in a system that stifles talent and confuses everyone and as a result brought several young players back from the brink.

now you’ll say “a lot of coaches can do that”

and I’ll point out that the Sabres have managed to not hire one three times in a row.

if you have faith they would get it right the fourth time I think you’re crazy.

You aren’t winning the Stanley Cup no matter who you hire with this mess. At least hire someone who won’t ruin your young players anymore.

Coaches don’t last long. Get out of the ditch and then look for someone to take you beyond that level.

like a real team
Why is developing young players and having success at the same time something that is completely impossible? Again with having low standards...

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
What if Granato was on the Rangers and they fired Quinn with 20 games left. He wouldn't be on the radar, but what if Kaako, Kravtsov, Lafreniere (sp?), Gauthier, Bowden, Miller all started to take off and look like very real contributors? I feel like if that Granato was available, we would really be on board with it because of how well he is with young guys and having a training camp to install his system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad