Injury Report: EK65 to IR 2/18; returns to play 2/27

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Now let's see if we can get Burns to announce an "injury."

Not sure if this has been mused about but I see Burn retiring before the end of his contract and walking away from the money. He seems like the sort of guy who would rather spend time with his family and live his life rather than grind out the final years of his NHL career.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not sure if this has been mused about but I see Burn retiring before the end of his contract and walking away from the money. He seems like the sort of guy who would rather spend time with his family and live his life rather than grind out the final years of his NHL career.

Can't see Burns turning down 5 mil per season. His contract doesn't seem to be one where you expect him to retire before that. That's typically for contracts that have like 1 mil salary at the end of it.

Reactions: Red Light Lover

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Brutal, Karlsson's become another Havlat.

I'm still mad that the sharks allowed him to play that ASG when he was still clearly injured, if they had shut him down up to the playoffs, I think he's in much better shape now. That first season they really managed him terribly.
on the bright side it might free up 10mil in spendable money.

They need to send him to a different doctor to get another opinion. The sharks are in a situation that they arent going to have a 80% EK and they lost stuz. What a f***ing shit show

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

It's getting to the point where I don't think of him as a member of the team.

All I can do is laugh at this point. Dude finessed the shit out of the team. Assuming Stuztle and Norris both become good players and IR65 continues to break down every 10-15 games I think he can get put in the disgusting Sharks category with Torres, Balfour, and Campbell

Reactions: Friday

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
All I can do is laugh at this point. Dude finessed the shit out of the team. Assuming Stuztle and Norris both become good players and IR65 continues to break down every 10-15 games I think he can get put in the disgusting Sharks category with Torres, Balfour, and Campbell
I don't think that's entirely fair. It's disappointing, very much so, but it's not Karlsson's fault that his body just fell apart. And Torres ended up being loved once he came here.

Belfour and Campbell actively showed contempt toward the Sharks.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Remember how big of a deal the team and EK made about him feeling so great and being 100% after a 10 month layoff? Guy lasted 13 games before he got the same injury he always gets. He is toast
He’s doing the same thing Havlat did. He’s not pushing off hard. When he does he tears/pulls his groin. So he says yeah I feel great, I can get out there and play, but he’s not going at game speed, which requires him to actually push off hard. Once he steps into games and everyone else speeds up, he knows if he tries to push off he’s going to hurt himself. So he coasts and is super selective about even going 70%. I’m sure he can feel the area getting ready to snap/pull each time he takes a stride.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I don't think that's entirely fair. It's disappointing, very much so, but it's not Karlsson's fault that his body just fell apart. And Torres ended up being loved once he came here.

Belfour and Campbell actively showed contempt toward the Sharks.
This, people acting like Karlsson likes being injured this often and being kept from the game are delusional

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
This, people acting like Karlsson likes being injured this often and being kept from the game are delusional

I don’t think he likes not playing, I just think his play when healthy, injuries, and contract make him a gigantic albatross and detriment to success.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t think he likes not playing, I just think his play when healthy, injuries, and contract make him a gigantic albatross and detriment to success.
It’s an unfortunate circumstance as the Sharks were banking on him to be a huge part of their future. It was a calculated risk, and the only piece they got burned on was the Stützle pick. If Karlsson was healthy though, you still make that deal. Tierney, Norris and Demelo aren’t pieces you sweat losing. If his body completely breaks down he just goes on LTIR permanently, and while that sucks, I would assume his contract is insured, so it’s fine, not ideal, but fine. Karlsson at 100% on this roster certainly would help, but there are a lot of other problems that are keeping this team from being a serious contender. I can handle Karlsson basically being done due to injuries because at least there’s an escape route. I can’t handle the goaltending and Vlasic.

Reactions: ChompChomp

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Just retire already

I'm not sure of what happens when a under 35+ retires, but why would he? He's in the early part of the largest contract he'll ever make and is the highest paid dman as well. If he retires, doesn't he walk away from that money?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm not sure of what happens when a under 35+ retires, but why would he? He's in the early part of the largest contract he'll ever make and is the highest paid dman as well. If he retires, doesn't he walk away from that money?

Exactly. Just like Chris Pronger. He last played in 11-12 season, but his contract continued through 16-17. His contract was even traded to the Coyotes.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Can't see Burns turning down 5 mil per season. His contract doesn't seem to be one where you expect him to retire before that. That's typically for contracts that have like 1 mil salary at the end of it.

While I completely agree with this Burns is a different sort of guy. I feel like he doesn't place as much value on money but obviously, I have no actual idea, just a feeling.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While I completely agree with this Burns is a different sort of guy. I feel like he doesn't place as much value on money but obviously, I have no actual idea, just a feeling.

I suppose it's possible. We're all just guessing here. I'm just happy that he's still playing well and he has the option of moving up front if he loses a step as a d-man.

Reactions: Herschel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad