Confirmed with Link: EK65 and Perron to Sharks for Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers and picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

For those with Melker jerseys, just put two pieces of white tape like so and voila
bztLOwa.png

The Sharks Store and Dick's Sporting Goods should be jerks and load up the store with Melker jerseys. See who they can fool into buying it. :laugh:

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Jamie Baker makes a point that if he were given the choice between Tavares and Karlsson, he'd pick Karlsson because he's more exciting. He does say that Tavares is enticing though because we'd give up no assets as a free agent signing and he's younger. I don't know what age he thinks Tavares and Karlsson are but they're not even 4 months apart in age.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Who’s the other guy in the trade? Any significance at all?

His post-draft scouting reports were that he was basically a high-upside lottery ticket. Bucketloads of skill, but rail thin. Hitch is that so far he hasn't transferred his Q scoring to the AHL very well.

Some stuff I've found:
Francis Perron
Francis Perron Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | San Jose Sharks | The Sports Forecaster
TheHockeyNews
Top 25 Under 25, #23: Francis Perron
Top 25 Under 25, #8: Francis Perron
A Look at the Belleville Senators

He seems like a cautionary QMJHL-based tale for Halbgewachs. Though Halbgewachs had slightly better Jr numbers and played in a more physically demanding league than the Q usually is treated as.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Interesting takes from the DeBoer radio interview is at the TDL last year, he was under the impression that we'd be targeting a 4th line center but then was surprised with Kane instead. First heard about EK on Monday and said it could be a thing, but didn't hear more about it until it was essentially a done deal yesterday so he assumed it fell through during the week.
Then he goes on to talk generally about EK and how he's a top 5 elite defenseman. He's most excited about the PP and wants to improve from their 16th spot last season to top 5 % in the league.

Glad to see they're emphasizing the PP and not just banking on Thornton fixing it.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I haven't been this hyped over a Sharks trade since Jumbo, so yeah, I'm still high :D
IMO this is the greatest trade the Sharks have made in their history, because at least in Thornton's trade we sent some higher quality roster players the other way. I remember discussing potentially getting EK in the trade/roster topic earlier this summer and saying there's no way we can get a player of his caliber with spare parts. I remember getting responses from some posters saying this is the Sens GM so anything could happen, and DW did exactly that. It's not that the pieces we gave up were bad, but they were definitely not core pieces by a long shot.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
His post-draft scouting reports were that he was basically a high-upside lottery ticket. Bucketloads of skill, but rail thin. Hitch is that so far he hasn't transferred his Q scoring to the AHL very well.

Some stuff I've found:
Francis Perron
Francis Perron Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | San Jose Sharks | The Sports Forecaster
TheHockeyNews
Top 25 Under 25, #23: Francis Perron
Top 25 Under 25, #8: Francis Perron
A Look at the Belleville Senators

He seems like a cautionary QMJHL-based tale for Halbgewachs. Though Halbgewachs had slightly better Jr numbers and played in a more physically demanding league than the Q usually is treated as.

What I read somewhere is that he was a teammate of Meier's in Juniors, and they apparently had crazy good chemistry with each other. So, decent odds the Sharks grabbed him speculating that they might be able to re-create that in the NHL.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Guys, I just played nhl 19 on the Xbox and guess what..... EK is on the roster! It's for real!

Lol

Reactions: Phu

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
So it’s been like a day and a half and I still can’t believe Erik Karlsson is a Shark and Boedker, Tierney and Demelo are the only regulars who are no longer with the team.

Reactions: Bizz and Phu

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
It will still be a good deal for the Sharks but watch Demelo pull a Josh Gorges and go from trash to a serviceable defenseman in the East

Reactions: Phu

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
All these people lauding DW for his trade steals all forget about the first time we robbed Ottawa when we got Heatley.

That was understandable from Ottawa's point as Heatley had them completely at his mercy. Sure, they gave him the NTC, but he used it aggressively and hadn't exactly been shy about his desire to get moved.

It will still be a good deal for the Sharks but watch Demelo pull a Josh Gorges and go from trash to a serviceable defenseman in the East

There's a bit of an understandable recency bias, but DeMelo had a very solid 2016 season. It wouldn't at all be shocking to see him rebound. He's certainly regressed defensively since then. To his credit, he has a certain poise and aggressiveness in the offensive zone that is rare to see and could be very fruitful in the right system/coach.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
As a Hab fan, I'm ecstatic to see EK leaving the Atlantic division! We get to watch a lot of the Sens games in Montreal and this guy is absolutely incredible!! To all SJ fans, you just picked up a real gem. He is the best skating and most offensively gifted defensemen in the NHL. I can't wait to see the PP with Burns and EK on the points, scary thought. The only thing you guys should be worried about is that DW might get arrested for grand theft.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I wonder if the Sharks asked for Perron because of the chemistry he had with Meier in the AHL. In that one season with Meier he had over 100 points in just 62 games. Edit: Sorry not the AHL. Junior's. It would be hilarious if he turns out to be the best prospect in this trade lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad