Speculation: Eichel Megathread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
As a Sabres fan to a fan of someone of a team that's not the Sabres, thank you for actually agreeing with what we've been saying with "the Sabres were actually watchable at the end of the season".

Sure, the team as a whole is probably gonna get beat up this season. There's definitely going to be a lot of losses this season. There's more NHL potential than NHL talent this season. But if the team is routinely losing by a goal (not counting any empty net goals allowed), it's better to lose that way than the 4-5 goals like most people are predicting is gonna happen.

Yea they lost, but at least they had a pulse. It’s kind of the same with us, that’s why Quinn needed to go. Sure we won a lot more games, but this team lacked energy and competitiveness all season, it was hard to watch at a lot of times. It’s a big reason why Gallant is now our coach.
It’s ok to screw up, as long as you to it with purpose and bust your ass every shift. If your team is playing as hard as they can good things will eventually happen

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It was really smart for Power to stay in Michigan this season most Sabres fans were hoping he would.. You also have to realize that most Sabres fans agree with the Sabres management that this was the the only way forward by clearing the deck of all the players that were here for the wrong reasons, The Bills turned it around this way and set the standard of what kind of athlete they want in their system.. Adams is following their lead..
If I was a Sabre fan I wouldn't want Power playing defence for the team this season either. Everything is pretty well lined up to give the team the best chance at drafting Shane Wright. Having Power on the team would just throw a monkey wrench into the plan. In fact, it might even be a good thing to have Power go back for two years. Connor Bedard will be available in the draft in 2023.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This. The MO on Fox was that he was solid and likely ready to set into top 4 duty. We all knew he would likely be a solid addition, but def not a Norris winner or even in the running for it this early in his career

Honestly, I'm wondering how much of the DeAngelo incident and Trouba injury helped him. He still would have been solid, but he probably wouldn't have won the Norris. Without those two things, at best Fox would have been on the Rangers PP2 all season (possibly would have grown in to taking it over, but Quinn is an stubborn idiot so...)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Myra they lost, but at least they had a pulse. It’s kind of the same with us, that’s why Quinn needed to go. Sure we won a lot more games, but this team lacked energy and competitiveness all season, it was hard to watch at a lot of times. It’s a big reason why Gallant is now our coach.
It’s ok to screw up, as long as you to it with purpose and bust your ass every shift. If your team is playing as hard as they can good things will eventually happen

Haha. So you saw the difference between the Kruger Sabres and the Granato Sabres too.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Because that’s what Eichel does. Blames others. He’s that kid who cries when he doesn’t get his way. What a loser with that Tweet today.
Hyperbole?
Twenty lashes with a wet noodle and deserving of every one.
Awful emoji. Simply awful. :sarcasm:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Honestly, I'm wondering how much of the DeAngelo incident and Trouba injury helped him. He still would have been solid, but he probably wouldn't have won the Norris. Without those two things, at best Fox would have been on the Rangers PP2 all season (possibly would have grown in to taking it over, but Quinn is an stubborn idiot so...)
Doubtful. ADA was great the season before last putting up 50 odd points and was a best on the PP, and Fox still had the starting Job running the point coming out of camp. ( which I’m sure pissed ADA off to no end, especially after signing his big deal.) but things between ADA and Quinn went sour a long long time ago, before the Georgiev incident

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Haven’t scrolled through all the posts today but Mike Futa stating the Rangers is the last place Adams would trade Eichel was music too my ears. Intrigued that the Ducks are still in the hunt. They are my preferred destination even though I know Zegras or Drysdale won’t be included.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Haven’t scrolled through all the posts today but Mike Futa stating the Rangers is the last place Adams would trade Eichel was music too my ears. Intrigued that the Ducks are still in the hunt. They are my preferred destination even though I know Zegras or Drysdale won’t be included.
Pretty confident BMs sole endeavor this summer has been getting Eichel. Which would explain the lack if moves with the roster. As a Ducks fan in a bit scared of what he ends up giving up.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Pretty confident BMs sole endeavor this summer has been getting Eichel. Which would explain the lack if moves with the roster. As a Ducks fan in a bit scared of what he ends up giving up.
Would Henrique waive to Buffalo or does Rakell come back the other way? McTavish? An unconditional 1st? Comtois? Perrault? Lots of options to package without Zegras or Drysdale.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

As a Sabres fan, and you can say it’s an overpayment, but if the Sabres received McTavish, Comtois, and Perbix, I’d be content. Anything else that the Ducks added would be gravy.

Doubtful. ADA was great the season before last putting up 50 odd points and was a best on the PP, and Fox still had the starting Job running the point coming out of camp. ( which I’m sure pissed ADA off to no end, especially after signing his big deal.) but things between ADA and Quinn went sour a long long time ago, before the Georgiev incident

Fair enough. I dunno the inner going on of the Rangers, because eff the Rangers, so anything I say is just speculation as an outsider. I’m not even against Eichel going to the Rangers. I just not “we’re fine losing X, X, and X” isn’t good enough.

Despite how Sabres fans act in these threads, we don’t really want to lose him. We know losing him will be really bad for the franchise, especially when it comes to the PP. One look looking at the PP stats with Eichel and without Eichel should explain everything.

And yes, PP isn’t the be all and end all, but it explains a lot.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Would Henrique waive to Buffalo or does Rakell come back the other way? McTavish? An unconditional 1st? Comtois? Perrault? Lots of options to package without Zegras or Drysdale.

As a Sabres fan, and you can say it’s an overpayment, but if the Sabres received McTavish, Comtois, and Perbix, I’d be content. Anything else that the Ducks added would be gravy.

Fair enough. I dunno the inner going on of the Rangers, because eff the Rangers, so anything I say is just speculation as an outsider. I’m not even against Eichel going to the Rangers. I just not “we’re fine losing X, X, and X” isn’t good enough.

Despite how Sabres fans act in these threads, we don’t really want to lose him. We know losing him will be really bad for the franchise, especially when it comes to the PP. One look looking at the PP stats with Eichel and without Eichel should explain everything.

I'm sure there is a deal there that could be made with the Ducks. I'm sure the Ducks would rather move Rico but the limited NTC would probably be an issue. He's still an effective player who can put up 50 pts if he's invested. Seems like BM and KA are playing chicken but no one let them know they're driving on a treadmill and they don't understand why nothing is getting closer.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
What if Adams is holding out on a deal so it takes longer for Jack to get surgery purely out of spite lol

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

same, I’m not one of those rangers fans that doesn’t want Eichel here. I think he’s better then Zibby currently and will most likely be for the next 4-5 seasons when they are probably making similar money. I think LaF-Eichel would be a deadly combo and then roll out Panarin on a different line. I just don’t think they are going to be able to get a deal done between the 2 teams. I don’t know if getting Eichel makes us that much better when you factor in that well most likely lose Zibby due to cap reasons plus the assets we would have to give to get Eichel. But I’m not down on Eichel as others are. Yes the injury sucks and there are risks but he’s a fantastic young center.
The only way I see the rangers getting a deal done is if there is a 3rd team involved and Eichel would be essentially taking over Zibbys role and cap hit.
Something like Eichel to NYR- Zibby to 3rd team ( having waived NMC and agreed to contract ext prior) - and picks and prospects to Buffalo.
LaF really came on at the end of the season last year, I think with Eichel’s speed and the way he creates separation he would set up LaF a ton to use his incredible shot
But I digress, most likely a fantasy atm. I’m a realist though so I wouldn’t be offering strome and garbage for a 25 yr old 1C even with the injury. Odds are he’ll recover and be back to normal, but there’s certainly risks involved injury wise and financially. Guess we’ll see how it shakes out. But I hope the Sabres right the ship and start to change the culture. Their fans deserve a better product on the ice.

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I hope so as well. It just isn't a good fit to me. I still think Vegas is the best move for Buffalo. You can get a 1st and Krebs for the future and then balance the salary by picking up a 2nd liner or two who can come in from a winning culture and bring/model some of that for a young Sabres roster (ie: guys who can do for Buffalo what Dubinsky, Foligno and Atkinson did for Columbus post-Nash). Culture change and some nice pieces for the future. Best of both worlds.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Mine too Can’t wait to see him get traded to another team for an underwhelming return and put this drama to an end.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don’t know how you can realistically gauge value without knowing what the medicals say and you have an agreement on treatment with JE. If I feel there’s a 90% chance he’ll be fine then I’m making a strong offer. If I hear a lot of maybes and I don’t know’s then I walk away. Even if you get him at a reduced price and he’s never the same then you are doing way too much long term damage to your cap. That’s a potentially fireable offense for a GM because it could really set your club back. On top of that, you need to be comfortable with the attitude. I like the player, but I’d really have to feel comfortable to get involved.

Mar 20, 2010
That’s a potentially fireable offense for a GM because it could really set your club back.

But is it any less 'fireable' for GMKA to approve the ADR surgery against the team medical staff's advice?

People keep making it seem like GMKA actually has a 'choice' here but I think it's totally out of his hands now. Frankly, GMKA probably wishes he could just veto the doctor and let Eichel get the surgery and move on with the trade and the rest of the off-season.

At this point, I don't think BUF doctors, ownership, or GMKA can 'change their mind' and allow the ADR surgery, even if they wanted to. The motives of suddenly doing a 180° would be questioned and GMKA/BUF would probably be accused of endangering a player's health for the sake of getting a better trade return.

GMKA is actually the biggest loser, other than Eichel himself, of the decision not to allow the ADR procedure.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
But is it any less 'fireable' for GMKA to approve the ADR surgery against the team medical staff's advice?

People keep making it seem like GMKA actually has a 'choice' here but I think it's totally out of his hands now. Frankly, GMKA probably wishes he could just veto the doctor and let Eichel get the surgery and move on with the trade and the rest of the off-season.

At this point, I don't think BUF doctors, ownership, or GMKA can 'change their mind' and allow the ADR surgery, even if they wanted to. The motives of suddenly doing a 180° would be questioned and GMKA/BUF would probably be accused of endangering a player's health for the sake of getting a better trade return.

GMKA is actually the biggest loser, other than Eichel himself, of the decision not to allow the ADR procedure.

I was referring to it becoming a fireable offense for the acquiring team. You can’t give up a boatload of assets and take on a cap hit of 10 million per without really knowing exactly what your getting into. It doesn’t seem like we know all the details so it’s really difficult for us to properly gauge value.

Buffalo is in a very tough to win situation. It’s going to be very tough for them to come out close to even on this. Again, obviously boils down to medicals, whether they have insurance that will cover the contract if whatever procedure goes awry, and whether or not that NTC comes in before he can be moved.

Last edited:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
If Peyton Krebs is offered from Vegas there's no way the Rangers or Ducks can beat an offer unless they include the "untouchables" (Zegras, Laf, Kakko, every other prospect on those teams).

That kid has a good chance at being better than the Rangers and Ducks untouchables anyway. Vegas shouldn't include him but apparently the pressure is on them to win right frigging now!

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

Sens also made a lack of moves. We were supposed to get a 1C and make a big splash.. oh wait..

So you never know.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think we are in some sort of trade too,doubt its Eichel..But we could be that 3rd team that brokers cap

Seeing all this drama makes me wary of adding him to the Sens for sure considering what we have going on right now, not sure he is the right fit for us attitude wise. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be super excited if we got him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad