Speculation: Eichel Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Why give up a guy who has done nothing in the NHL and might have long-term COVID problems for a top 10 NHL centre signed for five years.

The joke of how high people value an 9th overall pick from the 2020 draft is beyond funny. If he is anywhere near where Eichel was at 22 or will be at 28, it would defy all odds.

Hmm do I want my medical risk to cost $925k or $10 million?

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif
Deny it all you want, but just look at every past acquisition the Rangers have made within the last 5 years. It always goes the same way.......heavily rumored to start as our FO plants the seed to let that team know we mean business........then we're rumored to be "out".......things go quiet as we patiently wait for said team to circle back to us.......then that deal is secured. Classic NYR

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But there's our advantage we have over almost any other team. NY baybay

I don't care how many other fans hate hearing it. Fox forced his way here. It will be a friendly contract. As will Zibanejad, he's most likely taking 8x8 with ease. Shesterkin will most likely not cost more than $5M and if anyone thinks it'll be above that you're only fooling yourself. Guys like Kakko/Miller/Lafreniere will all be on bridge deal discounts and a cup by 2024. Nothing is a guarantee but that's the plan and trajectory this team has been baking themselves into and I see it as clear as day now. Gotta love it. At least now we'll be as respected as some of those great teams again.....people forgot about how dominate we were too easily

Yeah, Fox will definitely take a discount like Panarin and Trouba did. Oh wait.

I wasn't even including Zibanejad because their cap structure would be destroyed even without including him. But do you seriously think "we're NY baybay" somehow means the Rangers won't be absolutely demolished by the cap with adding Eichel?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Rangers acquiring Eichel would basically destroy their cap structure and cause them to lose multiple young assets in addition to what they pay for Eichel.

It's why the Rangers acquiring him is a bad idea.
Exhibt A of why an Eichel trade will not be just for futures.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exhibt A of why an Eichel trade will not be just for futures.

I agree. Using Minnesota, I think Fiala, one of Rossi or Boldy plus their 2 1sts this year is reasonable for Eichel. Buffalo can likely immediately flip Fiala for another good futures package too, so I honestly don't see why they'd say no to that.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com

I wasn't even including Zibanejad because their cap structure would be destroyed even without including him. But do you seriously think "we're NY baybay" somehow means the Rangers won't be absolutely demolished by the cap with adding Eichel?
Completely different situations. Fox put not one but TWO teams through the ringer just so he could wear a blueshirt. He's not f***ing this team financially and neither is Zib. Guys WANT to be here. Guys CRAVE being here now. It's what we deserve from the Hockey Gods after not actually tanking through our worst times the past few years and giving it our all despite knowing this team had nothing

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
Megafan base team:

Give up: 1st pick and bunch of B list players
Return: Eichel

Reality is getting Eichel will probably require more than a team is willing to give up.

Should be interesting though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Completely different situations. Fox put not one but TWO teams through the ringer just so he could wear a blueshirt. He's not f***ing this team financially and neither is Zib. Guys WANT to be here. Guys CRAVE being here now.

You are aware that Trouba did literally the same exact thing to the Jets?

You're living in complete lala land if you think these players won't try to get what they deserve just because they're playing for the Rangers. Trouba didn't do it, and he wanted to go to the Rangers. Panarin didn't do it, and he wanted to go to the Rangers.

It's what we deserve from the Hockey Gods after not actually tanking through our worst times the past few years and giving it our all despite knowing this team had nothing

Jesus Christ you are in lala land :laugh:

Did Bernmeister made an alt account or something?

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Deny it all you want, but just look at every past acquisition the Rangers have made within the last 5 years. It always goes the same way.......heavily rumored to start as our FO plants the seed to let that team know we mean business........then we're rumored to be "out".......things go quiet as we patiently wait for said team to circle back to us.......then that deal is secured. Classic NYR

He isn't going to the rangers .

And if that 1% chance It happens Lafreniere is coming back

Only way

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala + Boldy + 1st's + prospect would be an absolutely awful overpay from MN. I certainly hope that Guerin isn't thinking anywhere close to that.

I am at a loss to even value Eichel, until his neck issues are sorted. It doesn't matter how good of a player he is if he can't take the ice, and I also don't want a player who relies on skill to not be able to turn his head, or worry that the next crosscheck to the head will end his career (which is a whole different discussion worthy of a separate thread).

As messy as it might be, I think that the Sabres might have to hold onto Eichel till his neck is dealt with, and he proves on the ice that he is fully healthy.
The neck issue is a totally binary thing to me. If they're not okay with it (and this is the direction I lean, personally) they shouldn't give up anything for Eichel. If they are okay with it it shouldn't affect the price much.

Fiala + Boldy + late 1st + decent prospect is a lot, but this also solves a problem we've had for more than 2 decades. If we found out tomorrow that that was the trade I'd be just fine with it, and Boldy's been my favorite Wild prospect in years.

Reactions: dire wolf

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
You are aware that Trouba did literally the same exact thing to the Jets?

You're living in complete lala land if you think these players won't try to get what they deserve just because they're playing for the Rangers. Trouba didn't do it, and he wanted to go to the Rangers. Panarin didn't do it, and he wanted to go to the Rangers.

Jesus Christ you are in lala land :laugh:

Did Bernmeister made an alt account or something?

You've got it wrong fren. Trouba wittled his two teams down to NYR and Detroit. People forget how close he was to actually being a Red Wing as he really wanted to play there too. Eventually NYR got it done and he wasn't complaining.

Yes Panarin always dreamed of being a Rangers, but at the end of the day it was between teams like Florida and the Islanders. He would've easily taken those deals, especially NYI but his wife more than likely talked him out of it.

Fox never.......and I mean never...........had any other team within his mind. It was JUST NYR. And ONLY NYR.

Fox is a gamer no doubt.

Also don't compare me to that loon, guy wants to stick to a 15 year rebuild or something...

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree. Using Minnesota, I think Fiala, one of Rossi or Boldy plus their 2 1sts this year is reasonable for Eichel. Buffalo can likely immediately flip Fiala for another good futures package too, so I honestly don't see why they'd say no to that.
Too much for a guy who has a serious spinal injury that have yet to be even addressed.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
He isn't going to the rangers .

And if that 1% chance It happens Lafreniere is coming back

Only way
It will be a pretty good step up from the Eichel trade that almost went down between BUF-NYR in August/September of 2020.

But it won't involve Lafreniere as his value as an asset is almost as high as Eichel to NYR. Same reason ANA/CHI/LAK aren't moving their biggest young asset.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Too much for a guy who has a serious spinal injury that have yet to be even addressed.

I genuinely can't fathom how fans of a team who has lacked an elite 1C in their entire existence says no to trading relatively spare parts for an elite 1C because "he's not a perfect target".

Sure, guys like Fiala and Rossi are good pieces. But they're not Jack Eichel, and if Eichel didn't have his neck issues, that offer wouldn't even be in the same stratosphere as what it would cost to get him. Any sort of B prospects, late 1st rounders and such don't matter in the grand scheme of things when it comes to an elite talent like Eichel.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The neck issue is a totally binary thing to me. If they're not okay with it (and this is the direction I lean, personally) they shouldn't give up anything for Eichel. If they are okay with it it shouldn't affect the price much.

Fiala + Boldy + late 1st + decent prospect is a lot, but this also solves a problem we've had for more than 2 decades. If we found out tomorrow that that was the trade I'd be just fine with it, and Boldy's been my favorite Wild prospect in years.
We live in a different world, then. My world has many shades of grey. There is a lot of room in between Eichel being a totally healthy player putting up 75 pts/year, and Eichel sitting in a training room/stands for the next five years. We've seen that with Parise, who was our best forward for a few years, then wasn't, due to spine issues.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I genuinely can't fathom how fans of a team who has lacked an elite 1C in their entire existence says no to trading relatively spare parts for an elite 1C because "he's not a perfect target".

Sure, guys like Fiala and Rossi are good pieces. But they're not Jack Eichel, and if Eichel didn't have his neck issues, that offer wouldn't even be in the same stratosphere as what it would cost to get him. Any sort of B prospects, late 1st rounders and such don't matter in the grand scheme of things when it comes to an elite talent like Eichel.
You are calling Rossi/Boldy a B prospect?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I don't care for the troll you're discussing with, but Panarin absolutely did take a discount to come to NY. I believe in the realm of about 5-10 million left on the table compared to the Columbus and Islander offers.

Reactions: AirGut and Trxjw

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We live in a different world, then. My world has many shades of grey. There is a lot of room in between Eichel being a totally healthy player putting up 75 pts/year, and Eichel sitting in a training room/stands for the next five years. We've seen that with Parise, who was our best forward for a few years, then wasn't, due to spine issues.
And if they think there's even a 10% chance of that happening I think they should move on. Even giving up Fiala + 1st is too much for a player on a $10m contract that may not ever be fully healthy again. Build around something more reliable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You are calling Rossi/Boldy a B prospect?

Relative to Jack freaking Eichel, of course. They're not assets on par with a top-3 pick, Zegras, Drysdale, Byfield or other top assets that have been thrown out in here.

If you can get Eichel without giving up one of those truly top tier assets, you'd be insane to say no to it.

I don't care for the troll you're discussing with, but Panarin absolutely did take a discount to come to NY. I believe in the realm of about 5-10 million left on the table compared to the Columbus and Islander offers.

I mean he's still making $11.5 million, though. Sure, maybe he could have gotten $12.5 million elsewhere, but he's still making a ton of money.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Uh yes it would? They have Panarin, Kreider and Trouba making like $26 million combined already. Now add on big extensions for Fox and Shesterkin, who are definitely getting big extensions, and you're spending even more on the top of your lineup. Miller could also be in line for a hefty extension too, and I imagine Lafreniere blows up if he's playing with Eichel.

Even if they move say Strome and Buchnevich in the Eichel deal, the Rangers are going to be up shit creek without a paddle once Lafreniere, Fox, Shesterkin and Miller get their next extensions. The Rangers could be spending upwards of $50 million on just those 7 players alone by 2022-2023, and now adding on Eichel gets that up to $60 million for 8 players.

You are very much on the right track, yet it's even tighter than that as the Rangers will also carry buy-out cap hits too for the next two seasons. (soon to be a little more with DeAngelo)

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Honestly though, the more I hear about Eichel's neck the more I hope Guerin has already moved on from this.
There is very little real information on Eichel's medical status. People are taking the treatment options, their own personal experience with injuries OR anecdotes of others experience, and speculating on the severity.

I'm not saying it isn't severe, nor am I saying it's of no concern or overblown. I'm saying there is very little information.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There is very little real information on Eichel's medical status. People are taking the treatment options, their own personal experience with injuries OR anecdotes of others experience, and speculating on the severity.

I'm not saying it isn't severe, nor am I saying it's of no concern or overblown. I'm saying there is very little information.
Yeah, public opinion (my own very much included) really makes no difference with stuff like this. Ultimately it's a mystery box.... covered in knives... and filled with bees. I'll let the experts hash that one out, it just gives me the willies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad