Player Discussion: Ehlers

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The flaw in that argument is that you've assumed that when the Jets win, they lead for a large (or at least significant) part of the game and vice versa when they lose.
I'm gonna go ahead and guess teams lead a lot more when they win and trail a lot more when they lose, feel like that's a pretty safe assumption.

Reactions: hn777

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The flaw in that argument is that you've assumed that when the Jets win, they lead for a large (or at least significant) part of the game and vice versa when they lose.
I actually looked at a sample of about a dozen games where Ehlers played a lot of minutes and similar sample where he played very few minutes and that's exactly what was happening. Jets up by a goal with 5 minutes to go? Ehlers isn't going to see much, if any, ice time. Jets down a goal or two and Ehlers is out there 6 on 5 for 2 minutes trying to score...and that long 2 minute 6v5 shift is often the difference between a 16 minute night and an 18 minute night.

In a couple of Ehlers high TOI games I looked at it was because Wheeler or Lowry got hurt (or maybe ejected in Lowry's case?) and the Jets were down a forward...and trailing.

Reactions: Jack7222 and hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I actually looked at a sample of about a dozen games where Ehlers played a lot of minutes and similar sample where he played very few minutes and that's exactly what was happening. Jets up by a goal with 5 minutes to go? Ehlers isn't going to see much, if any, ice time. Jets down a goal or two and Ehlers is out there 6 on 5 for 2 minutes trying to score...and that long 2 minute 6v5 shift is often the difference between a 16 minute night and an 18 minute night.

In a couple of Ehlers high TOI games I looked at it was because Wheeler or Lowry got hurt (or maybe ejected in Lowry's case?) and the Jets were down a forward...and trailing.
It certainly is a possible explanation

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just a quick summary of the offense of 5v5 fwds; was going to post this in another thread, however wanted to highlight ehlers' ranking in the league as well

1713548621322.png

ranked 16th in the NHL in 5v5 pts, 14th in 5v5 pts/60 (41+ GP)
26th in GF and 22nd in GF/60 (41+gp)

in goal-differential for fwds finished 5th in the league (behind Hyman, Mackinnon, McDavid and Barkov)

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'd like to congratulate Ehlers on playing a full 82 games this year. Pretty impressive after recovering from his hernia last season.

Somewhat related, Kudos to Monahan for playing 83 games this year

Both those guys have had questions about injury resiliency and durability. Next year, hopefully it's Vilardi's turn

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd like to congratulate Ehlers on playing a full 82 games this year. Pretty impressive after recovering from his hernia last season.

Both those guys have had questions about injury resiliency and durability. Next year, hopefully it's Vilardi's turn
Yeah I think he's so close to pre injury speed and agility it's really the best outcome we could have expected

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
since 17-18
ehlers regular season (RS) & POs PPG: 0.79 and 0.35 - a 0.44 PPG drop off, or a difference of 15 pts (on 34 GP).

of Fwds who've had min. of 30 PO GP (~10% less than Ehlers as a minimum), that 0.44 represents the largest drop-off from RS PPG to PO PPG for Fwds over that time-frame. 0.35 PPG would rank 131st/191 Fwd that have appeared in a min of 30 PO GP.

of those same players as above, filtered to RS production between 0.7-0.9 PPG, their PO PPG is 0.72.

he and Helle need to step it up considerably.

pretty sure Monahan missed a game or 2 w/ us b/c of an illness.... could've had 84 gp

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Injury prone can be a really tricky label to apply. Sometimes guys have extended runs of bad luck or make changes needed to stay healthy. It's grey area and not black and white.

He definitely re-established his value this year as a 60 point player that brings more than points to the table and is capable of more if called upon.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Injury prone can be a really tricky label to apply. Sometimes guys have extended runs of bad luck or make changes needed to stay healthy. It's grey area and not black and white.

He definitely re-established his value this year as a 60 point player that brings more than points to the table and is capable of more if called upon.

Well said.

Hoping he can settle down a bit and play the game he had going for the latter part of the season. I think more linked-up play where he's playing less of the ice on attack will help. He's a gamer, but seems to respond to adversity by upping his risk profile and trying way to hard to make stuff happen.

The return of calm, quick, lethal-wrister Ehlers would be very welcome.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad