Post-Game Talk: Ehlers says take that, Jets win in OT 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Missed this entire game (second in a row, but caught the highlights), lots of family in town.

But...

Coelacanth of the game

Eric Comrie - best attitude in the NHL

1142824801.jpg.0.jpg

GiganticHonoredBellfrog-size_restricted.gif

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
By the way, I was at the game so I didn't see if it was posted. Did you guys hear the Reading Rainbow theme song play tonight? I wasn't expecting that! :laugh:

It's a new tik tok trend to use that song. It's back in the meme world.

Reactions: Jet

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Here we can see that Wheeler has shot the puck and it is off his stick and we can see that Morrissey is still on the ice. You can see his stick below #7's stick
yKtw6UZ.png

Here we can see the Morrissey slash which happens after he got up from the ice. It's clear to see that the puck was well on it's way into the empty net before Morrissey "slashes" Kuraly
9x2CIBI.png

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Sounds like Blue Jackets announcers were as puzzled as we were on that Morrissey call.

This seems like a hot mic situation, but I would like to see the whole play they started to show at the end before they cut to commercial.

Pretty clear there’s no penalty until AFTER Wheeler shot the puck. Kuraly is still standing. Can’t call a slash until he actually gets slashed. Lol Forget the bad call. Pretty sure that goal should have counted either way unless there’s some obscure rule we haven’t heard of.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty clear there’s no penalty until AFTER Wheeler shot the puck. Kuraly is still standing. Can’t call a slash until he actually gets slashed. Lol Forget the bad call. Pretty sure that goal should have counted either way unless there’s some obscure rule we haven’t heard of.
But as long as the penalty occurred before the puck entered the net, the play is dead, is it not? For it to be a delayed penalty situation wouldn't the puck have had to be under Columbus' control? If the puck had hit the post and stayed in front of the icing line, would they have let Columbus go back and retrieve it on a delayed penalty?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Honestly I’ve run out of adjectives to describe how bad the officiating is in this league. It’s simply a laughingstock of epic proportions.

How can a game played with 4 officials on such a small playing surface, still get it consistently wrong?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Sounds like Blue Jackets announcers were as puzzled as we were on that Morrissey call.

This seems like a hot mic situation, but I would like to see the whole play they started to show at the end before they cut to commercial.

I missed the game, but I’ll catch it tomorrow.

But I honestly just feel embarrassed for Sutherland. What a pathetic call.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
But as long as the penalty occurred before the puck entered the net, the play is dead, is it not? For it to be a delayed penalty situation wouldn't the puck have had to be under Columbus' control? If the puck had hit the post and stayed in front of the icing line, would they have let Columbus go back and retrieve the puck on a delayed penalty?

I don’t think that’s right but i could be wrong. Until an action that causes play to stop or we touch it after the penalty, it’s always considered a “delayed” penalty. Play stops when the puck crosses the line in the net, but how can you say that’s not a goal when it’s happening simultaneously?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the penalty occurs before Wheeler shoots the puck, then it's no goal, because the Jets ( Wheeler in this case ) touched the puck on the delayed penalty.

If the penalty occurs after Wheeler shoots the puck, the play is not a dead play, it continues with the Jets on the delayed penalty until they control the puck.

IMO....The puck ending up in the net is still a goal in this case, because the Jets never controlled it, nor did another Jet come in contact with the puck, after they were put on the delayed penalty.

I went thru the NHL rule book and I can't find anything that says what happened would not be a goal , except for these...

Caveates:

- If the puck was to hit a Jet player before going into the empty net, and by "hitting" meaning not total control but contact of any kind, it is a no goal. IE: Wheeler shoots the puck at the empty net, the delayed penalty is called, and then the puck goes off a Jet's player leg on the way, it's no goal.

- If the Referee is about to blow the whistle to assess a penalty to the Jets and a goal is scored by the Jets before the Referee is able to get the whistle to their mouth to stop play, such goal shall not be allowed. The normal reaction time of an official would not enable them to stop play before a goal is scored

Last edited:

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Pretty entertaining game and that could have gone either way.

No points for Laine or Dubois but good engaged allround games from both, Roslovic has finally started to defend thanks to Larsen coaching.

Both teams have som nice pieces, but in all honesty Chevy needs to move Scheiffele this summer for a nr 1 D if the Jets want to contend when Connor and Ehelers are signed.

With a playoffspot stil within reach 55 looked like he could not care less IMHO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was at the game and in a really relaxed mood having fun all night. It was great to be back at a game with the mask off. I got a tad drunk in the Bud lounge with my buddies.

The hilarious part is how bad I lost my shit on the call late in the game. I never comment on reffing because it all tends to even out but that entire sequence was complete and utter horseshit. Exhibit A of short man’s syndrome when he seemed mad when he called the slash, then taking the goal off the board when the puck was shot before the penalty???

Other than that it was a really fun night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think I have developed viewship bias because I sware I am seeing Scheif play much differently than he use to when he was in his prime. Maybe this is always who Mark was it was just harder to notice when Blake was a top driver of play? Mark looks like his hearts not in it like it use to be to me at least? We do tend to see what we want though so who knows if my eyes are lying to me?

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I think I have developed viewship bias because I sware I am seeing Scheif play much differently than he use to when he was in his prime. Maybe this is always who Mark was it was just harder to notice when Blake was a top driver of play? Mark looks like his hearts not in it like it use to be to me at least? We do tend to see what we want though so who knows if my eyes are lying to me?
I feel the same watching him. He just does not seemed as engaged as other players and this has been for a couple of seasons now.
I thought he was better tonight but he has become or maybe always was a perimiter player who waits for an offensive opportunity to arise.

Reactions: ps241

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I was at the game and in a really relaxed mood having fun all night. It was great to be back at a game with the mask off. I got a tad drunk in the Bud lounge with my buddies.

The hilarious part is how bad I lost my shit on the call late in the game. I never comment on reffing because it all tends to even out but that entire sequence was complete and utter horseshit. Exhibit A of short man’s syndrome when he seemed mad when he called the slash, then taking the goal off the board when the puck was shot before the penalty???

Other than that it was a really fun night.
I was there with a mask and stone cold sober...but still had a great time indulging my popcorn addiction and watching the show :popcorn:

A few observations:
-Laine looks to have found his game once again and it's really nice to see him back in a good place after the hellish year he has had. Roslovic still looks miserable being in BMTS centre--no different than when he was part of the team.

-Re your Scheifele observation--by now, everyone in Wpg has seen it so now is the time to start figuring out what is wrong. I have a pretty good view of the bench and can tell you he is much more expressive on the bench than he is on the ice. It's as if he has stopped performing for his fans, which is completely unlike his former self.

-Schmidt and Stanley need to be traded before next season. Schmidt is overpaid by at least $3M and Stanley is a liability, by the eye test and advanced metrics.

-There is lots to like about this team for the next couple of years--great goaltending (when Helle reverts to normal), a great forward group (when the Scheifele issue is resolved) and a decent D core. But they must make meaningful change. There is a culling process that has to happen in the off-season and we need a new coach, a 1RD...and a new leadership group.

RAFS

Feb 22, 2013
The more I think about the goal being called back, the more I think that it may actually be the correct call. Imagine if it played out this way instead. Wheeler takes the shot at the empty net from behind his own goal line. A CBJ player at the red line can make a play on the puck, but is tripped instead. The goal goes in. Would it be fair if that goal counted, since a player could have stopped it?

Now, I understand the CBJ wasn't making a play on the puck. But it is technically the same scenario, yes/no?

Oh, just want to say the call on JoMo is still BS though!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not really paying attention to how everyone is playing game by game for the rest of the season since it's essentially over. That was just a fun Friday night home game. They're not good enough to make the playoffs and they aren't bad enough to tank so I'm just enjoying it with the pressure off.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB

I have no idea why that wasn't a league challenge at that point in time in the game.

Well, I have one idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad