Injury Report: Ehlers out remainder of the REGULAR SEASON

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well imo we can still have a good rush game if we start attacking as a unit instead of individually in the nz. So to me, we need to get back to that aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck as well as we need to start supporting the puckncarriwr better in the nz when attacking.

If you think we give up a lot of odd man rushes now, you'll likely see a lot more of them with this system.
It's a risky system that usually works well with a solid D that can pinch and recover -

We don't have that anymore - I'll have to disagree with you on this option.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
They are not "resting" him man, teams don't "rest" a guy for a few weeks going into the playoffs considering how long it takes to get back up to speed. I am all for signing the biggest goon in the ECHL for the remainder of the season and playing him 20 minutes a night against the Leafs the next time we play them. Pulverize them before the playoffs.
I'm not saying they're resting him now. I'm saying that they're in no rush to hurry him back, and at this point I'm okay with it. They aren't taking any chances with him, and although I'd prefer that he'd get two or three regular season games in before the playoffs start, I'd rather see him healthy for the playoffs.

...and as far as the goon comment goes, as I said alluded to before... I'm all for "an eye for an eye".

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If you think we give up a lot of odd man rushes now, you'll likely see a lot more of them with this system.
It's a risky system that usually works well with a solid D that can pinch and recover -

What would you propose then? The 1-2-2 we have been running hasn't been achieving much if any results lately. I question if our forwards especially in the top 6 have the positional and anticipation needed to effectively turn pucks over off that system.

It actually works really well on the Moose where they have a mobile defense that helps the team move the puck up the ice quickly and well they have some pretty good positional centers in Perfetti and Gus who disrupt the breakout with their anticipation.

So either our forwards start exhibiting stronger positional play on the forecheck or need to change it up imo.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What would you propose then? The 1-2-2 we have been running hasn't been achieving much if any results lately. I question if our forwards especially in the top 6 have the positional and anticipation needed to effectively turn pucks over off that system.

It actually works really well on the Moose where they have a mobile defense that helps the team move the puck up the ice quickly and well they have some pretty good positional centers in Perfetti and Gus who disrupt the breakout with their anticipation.

So either our forwards start exhibiting stronger positional play on the forecheck or need to change it up imo.

The 122 is safer - you have more protection off the break out up high - that's why they run it.
I go with the system that shelters our D - as boring as it may be.
What I really want is to run what you suggest - but we don't have the talent to do it - yet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The 122 is safer - you have more protection off the break out up high - that's why they run it.
I go with the system that shelters our D - as boring as it may be.
What I really want is to run what you suggest - but we don't have the talent to do it - yet.

I definitely get the thought about protecting the defence. I actually quite like the 1-2-2 if you have a very high IQ set of forwards as you can force turnovers in very dangerous locations and generally go in alone on net. I think its definitely the system to run once Perfetti gets here as Dubois is good at it as well as are Copp and Lowry.

My issue is more so with our more straightlined wingers in Conner, Wheeler, Ehlers who aren't always in the best spots on the ice. Scheifele also has the tendency to float out of position.

If we continue to run it our forwards need to really buy in and stay disciplined in their shape to make it work for us.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think the injury could be to serious to Ehlers, because he finished the game and looked pretty good. If it was a fracture or a torn ligament, he wouldn't have finished the game. It's likely a strained ligament in his shoulder or something like that. I'm sure he'll be back and flying in the playoffs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
bring up Perfetti and have a look how good he is already....

I don't think you can go wrong by bringing up Perfetti, and taking a look at him, and giving him some NHL experience. He's scoring a lot for the Moose right now, and I'm sure he'll score for the Jets.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Another random thought (and I expect to be vilified :sarcasm:), I chuckle at all this "Leafs are a dirty team" stuff. When I read stuff like that, I am hearing the voice of a 6-year old kid on the playground :laugh:

Definitely my age, but my dad, brother, and dozens of my friends were basically shocked at how the Leafs ran us out of the rink - just like Calgary last year in the playoffs. This Jets incarnation is soft as butter, and it was cringeworthy embarrassing to see Joe Thornton jack around with one of our smaller - and arguably our best player - with no reaction or answer from anyone on the Jets.

Sad for us old guys to see :(
You goy it. Pretty sad "response team" we have now! Embarrassing to those of us growing up with the Gordie Howe mentored, Don Cherry accredited rock 'em sock 'em Canadian prairie town bred ice-pond hockey with grit and fervor!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm not saying they're resting him now. I'm saying that they're in no rush to hurry him back, and at this point I'm okay with it. They aren't taking any chances with him, and although I'd prefer that he'd get two or three regular season games in before the playoffs start, I'd rather see him healthy for the playoffs.

...and as far as the goon comment goes, as I said alluded to before... I'm all for "an eye for an eye".
Get the "Gordie Howe hardened moose skin covered" elbows warmed up and bring it on. Leave the stick at your side but get that free elbow a aiming and swinging!
Leafs won't know what hit'em. They only understand "stick infractions" and using your stick on opponents calling it "good defense practise".

Reactions: hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

I don't think you can go wrong by bringing up Perfetti, and taking a look at him, and giving him some NHL experience. He's scoring a lot for the Moose right now, and I'm sure he'll score for the Jets.

Have to win a bet over lots of shots with Chevy & Chipman, then kid-nap Maurice if you expect to see Perfetti & Heinola on the Jets and actually playing this season. Sorry but i have no faith in your proposal being implemented.
Your proposal is very positive and a good idea though:thumbu::nod:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ehlers being out just emphasizes how rough this team is constructed defensively.

Reactions: hn777

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
The team sucked the last 20 games with Ehlers also and Lowry. Lowry I think is a huge loss... Well spoken leader and strong defensively. Ehlers is a massive loss but maybe instead of 6 1
.... we lose 6 2 instead.

Reactions: GNP

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
100% this. The days of Anthony Pelsuo-type guys are gone, but plenty of teams have sandpaper in their lineup. We need more than just Pionk, Dubois, and Lowry.

Fortunately Vesalainen looks like he’ll be physical at least. Need a hammer on the backend too.
Need to give Vesalainen a pair of 'Gordie Howe hardened Moose skin elbow pads' and a lesson tape on how yo use them. Then let him loose on Oilers!
Should gave signed Hamonic back in the offseason!!
At least last couple years he showd when the opponent starts taking liberties, he would forget the puck and takd thd man out, hard and heavily. Now we have Benn, instead and I have not seen him hit anybody but our own man in our zone! Sucks 'cayse in early season games between Jrts & Canucks , Benn was clobbering our forwards at every chance. Figures comes to Wpg and now plays soft and lost! Huddy's new mantra and Maurice's "system" influence? BS starting to set in Jets plan and order of things. Coach(es) has to go after this year! Or, Chevy will meet a bunch of disgruntled "Fords" at every news conference!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

We do have the D that can pinch and recover, they just don’t play. Also, a 2-1-2 relies heavily on F3 staying high on the strong side, covering for a pinch and putting back pressure on a breakout. As much as the talent on D, this is what made the Jets so successful in 17-18. It’s when CLT were at their dominant best.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We do have the D that can pinch and recover, they just don’t play. Also, a 2-1-2 relies heavily on F3 staying high on the strong side, covering for a pinch and putting back pressure on a breakout. As much as the talent on D, this is what made the Jets so successful in 17-18. It’s when CLT were at their dominant best.

I like your optimism on our young D -
But - we don't have the D in play now - and whether or not the Moose D cut it is still to be determined (IMO).
1 - 2 - 2 is safer and that's all I'm pointing out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad