Injury Report: Ehlers out remainder of the REGULAR SEASON

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Knowing Paul Maurice injury diagnosis I’d be happy if he’s back for next season. I was not confident before, but Jets are toast this year.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Given how well the Jets have played on the road the past couple of seasons, combined with how crappy they've played at home, at least in important games, finishing third might be as bad as it sounds.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Speed on entry is our only game plan... its pretty late in the season to flip

Speedy on entry is not working - we have been shut down the last several games as teams change up the game plan and clog things up in the Nzone.
Play off hockey tends to tighten up and that's exactly what is happening.
They should have started earlier but regardless, they still need to adapt -

Reactions: ulf

None

Feb 22, 2012
Our best underplayed player. As long as he is back and healthy for playoffs.

We got pushed around with no response in 2 back to back games. Doubt that changes now. Literally dirty hits with no response. Thornton chasing Ehlers around with noone doing anything about it. Aside from Lowry this team is soft. People can say that doesn't matter or have any effect on games/ series outcomes, but it certainly does. The days of guys who can't play hockey/ enforcers/ having to fight are over, but not only with the leafs slap us around on the scoreboard they just showed they are going to bully and run around on us physically as well. Not that it matters because we need a miracle or Helle to steal a series to get by the Oilers anyways.

Yeah, nobody's asking for a Peluso in the lineup when they're asking for more fight from the team. People want more of Pionk, Ehlers, and Dubois who don't roll over the minute the game gets physical.

I'm also sick of the bad faith argument that it's one or the other, that you can't have skilled players that push back. LoOk hOW tHe 14-15 JeTs fINisHed TOugHeST tEaM WE've iCEd.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I hope it's not related to Thornton being a jackass.

Get well soon, Nikolaj!
Maybe a wrist injury picked up from spearing Thornton in the nuts.

Seriously though, hoping it’s minor and is back for playoffs. The reg season doesn’t matter now.

Really highlights lack of anyone who can put a little fear in idiots taking liberties with our skilled forwards.

A big defenseman with some grit that can skate was a huge miss. I miss Ben Chariot.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Speedy on entry is not working - we have been shut down the last several games as teams change up the game plan and clog things up in the Nzone.
Maurice has relied on speed on entry since day one... changing things up in 2-3 weeks is not going to happen

Vegas clogged up the N-zone against us in 2017... Blues did it in 2018 - you'd think we would have changed things up then

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, nobody's asking for a Peluso in the lineup when they're asking for more fight from the team. People want more of Pionk, Ehlers, and Dubois who don't roll over the minute the game gets physical.

I'm also sick of the bad faith argument that it's one or the other, that you can't have skilled players that push back. LoOk hOW tHe 14-15 JeTs fINisHed TOugHeST tEaM WE've iCEd.
100% this. The days of Anthony Pelsuo-type guys are gone, but plenty of teams have sandpaper in their lineup. We need more than just Pionk, Dubois, and Lowry.

Fortunately Vesalainen looks like he’ll be physical at least. Need a hammer on the backend too.

Reactions: Ggg99 and None

germatt

Jun 17, 2006
Other players are ahead of him in line right now.

you are probably right, but no one has more talent. Just a couple of games to see where he has to improve. And maybe he runs with that oppurtunity....

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
What's the point? The Jets have to make the case that Thornton's actions are what caused the injury, not Muzzin's, and then it's what, a game or two suspension for a guy who's scored like 2 goals in 14 games?

I have zero faith in DoPS, so you're right, there isn't really a point with that group of fools.

To the other point, with people saying it was only Muzzin's hit, not Thornton, then whoever cleared Ehlers to go back out to play for the last few minutes should be fired. I don't blame Ehlers - he just wants to play and isn't a doctor. But the medical team is there to keep our players safe, and this game didn't mean enough to risk making the injury worse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The problem is our forecheck has been awful this year so slowing things up will only work if we completely revamp our forecheck game.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The problem is our forecheck has been awful this year so slowing things up will only work if we completely revamp our forecheck game.

Exactly -
But they need to do something because the teams we have been playing lately are not allowing anything to develop in the Nzone.
More dumps, grind it out in the corners / walls, front of the net congestion and garbage goals - yum

Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maurice has relied on speed on entry since day one... changing things up in 2-3 weeks is not going to happen

Vegas clogged up the N-zone against us in 2017... Blues did it in 2018 - you'd think we would have changed things up then

It has to happen -
Speed it not getting it down - we are running into a wall of congestion and that's how teams are prepping us for the PO's -
The timing sucks and so does the solution - and now no Ehlers
Our game will start changing - lets watch tonight

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
Leafs fan here coming in peace to wish Ehlers a full recovery. The Jets are a very good team and I've really come to admire Ehlers this year. Despite some of the things we've been hearing I really don't think either team has been playing "dirty". The rivalry has become more heated, though, and the physicality between these two teams has been revving up. In the past the Jets had a very big team and had really punished the Leafs whenever they played each other. The Leafs have tried to address that this year by adding more toughness and physical presence - that's what we're seeing this year between these two teams. In the end, however, I don't want anyone to get injured. I'm looking forward to the playoffs and wish the Jets success - except when they play us ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Exactly -
But they need to do something because the teams we have been playing lately are not allowing anything to develop in the Nzone.
More dumps, grind it out in the corners / walls, front of the net congestion and garbage goals - yum

Well imo we can still have a good rush game if we start attacking as a unit instead of individually in the nz. So to me, we need to get back to that aggressive 2-1-2 forecheck as well as we need to start supporting the puckncarriwr better in the nz when attacking.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is Leafs media trying to pretend a clean hit took Ehlers out. As Fonzarelli noted, Thornton cross-checked Ehler's shoulder twice after the hit. The hit probably started some damage, but he was obviously cleared - no way he comes back out if his shoulder is already separated at this point.

Jets should be all over this - Thornton should be suspended with intent to injure if he targeted that same shoulder twice.

I have no problem with the hit by Muzzin - clean, not really late, shoulder to shoulder.

Pretty much every Leafs fan would be thrilled if Thornton was suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs. :laugh:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The Leafs really did take out the Jets for the regular season ... karma will be a biotch for the Leafs come playoff time.
This is where you miss the tough guy since the league won't protect the Jets.
If Lowry and Ehlers out to start playoffs, Chevy needs to find Buff and Thorburn and sign them for the Playoffs. Who carex if they can't skate very well. Just put them out 1st shift against Matthews and Marner and rag-doll them to dresssing room, off the faceoff!
Then, Stanley can play the rest, taking Thornton and Spezza out. Jets should be fine then.
Against Oilers, have PLD takevon McDavid, not worrying about the puck so much as keeping McD to the outside and taking out him anytime the puck gets near him. Put Copp on Draisaitl and then just have to contain RN-H and that Nurse guy.
Abd pray, hope for Helle to stone the rest of 'em.

Reactions: GNP

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

If you're talking about this hit by Sandin on Wheeler after Wheeler tried to cheapshot him from the back, just a beautiful hit and display of strength. By a rookie too. Ouch.

And Thornton was pissed because of the Ehlers dive. No matter what team you cheer for, you can't respect a diver.

Go search for Thorton diving then. What you really shouldn't respect is slashes to the head (like from Hyman), hits from behind into the boards (like Foligno), and hits to the head (Like Galch and Thorton)

Wheeler trying to cheapshot here is laughable in it's delusion. He's reaching to play the puck.

Beat it back to the Leafs board troll.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Leafs fan here coming in peace to wish Ehlers a full recovery. The Jets are a very good team and I've really come to admire Ehlers this year. Despite some of the things we've been hearing I really don't think either team has been playing "dirty". The rivalry has become more heated, though, and the physicality between these two teams has been revving up. In the past the Jets had a very big team and had really punished the Leafs whenever they played each other. The Leafs have tried to address that this year by adding more toughness and physical presence - that's what we're seeing this year between these two teams. In the end, however, I don't want anyone to get injured. I'm looking forward to the playoffs and wish the Jets success - except when they play us ;)

Toughness is fine. I have no issue with big clean body checks. My issue is with plays like Hyman slashing Pionk in the head, Foligno running Morrissey into the boards from behind, and Galchenyuk and Thorton hitting players directly in the head with body contact.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
As soon as Ehlers and Muzzin collided, and I saw Ehlers go off the ice holding his arm like that I texted a family member and said "Ehlers is done"...clearly a shoulder.

I'm surprised he came back. Mind you, he played with a break in his leg against St. Louis - tough kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad