Confirmed Signing with Link: Eeli Tolvanen [NSH] signed. Max bonuses, European assignment clause

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh, duh. Right you are.

Doesn't matter for Tolvanen, as mcpw mentions he was USHL drafted. But the KHL rules are different than what's spelled out in the CBA due to lack of transfer agreement. He's Wild property until 27. Per Russo at the Athletic

Another high profile example is Vegas still owning and even trading for Gusev's rights last summer. He was drafted in 2012.

Oh. It's that 'defected' status that's the magic word here. "Any player not unconditionally released". Yeah, I can see how lack of transfer agreement (="unaffiliated" apparently) with KHL can make that happen.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have yet to see it explained why Copp had to be protected but players like Mittelstadt/Gaudette/Borgstrom/Greenway wouldn't have to be protected. To me it seems those players are in the same bracket. 20 year olds or older who burn a year off their ELC when they sign.

Tolvanen seems different. He seems to be in that Reinhart/Bennett 18-19 year old bracket, where you have to play 10 or more NHL games to burn a year and be considered a first year professional.

Well. I am of record for heftily cursing that they didn't make the actual Expansion Draft rules public, and all we got was some journo second-hand nuggets. The answer probably is hidden there.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Copp had played 15-16 and 16-17 in the NHL prior the Draft, while only one game in 14-15. But you might be right about Bob being wrong, because Casey will by then have similarly played 18-19 and 19-20 before the 2020 XD.

But, then Tolvanen also will have played two seasons (assuming they stay up, of course) by 2020.

Sliding/burning a year off ELC is different from what it considered a played season under XD rules though, because Slide eligibility is age-related whereas the XD eligibility rules are not.

Actually, looking it up, the Vegas XD rules said that:

"All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

There was some number about games played, I'm not sure it was ten. Also, a year in AHL is a professional season.

All "first and second year professionals" are exempt. The draft is held in June, during the league year. So for example a player who only played in 2018-19 and 2019-20 would still be in his second professional season at the time of the 2020 expansion draft, and thus exempt.

Copp was eligible because he burned ELC years in 2014-15 and 2015-16. Thus was in his 3rd professional season when the draft rolled around at the end of 2016-17.

The same would be true for Mittelstadt if he's signed for this season. And would be true for Tolvanen if he plays 10+ NHL games in 2017-18, including playoffs.

Reactions: Lempo

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Yes, it is common. It's an assignment clause. Marcus Hogberg of the Senators got one as well. If a player does not make the team out of camp, they have the option of refusing an assignment to the AHL/ECHL and instead returning to their European or overseas league.

Max bonuses if true is the more interesting part of the contract. When was the last time someone drafted as late as him received anywhere close to max performance bonuses signing so soon after the draft?

Kole Lind, drafted 33rd overall this year just signed his ELC a week or so ago. He also got max bonuses.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I had no idea you could do that on an ELC with the AHL agreement.

Soshnikov had the same clause with the Leafs.

Had us play him for a few games but ultimately trade him because there was just no room once he came off the IR.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Not sure what you're looking at? Lind got less then 10% of max bonuses. He didn't even get max salary.

Hmm, heard that from Rick Dhaliwal. He is a reputable Vancouver guy. I'll look into it.

Edit: I don't know how to embed tweets but here is the link:

So. Who knows? I see CapFriendly lists otherwise.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
All "first and second year professionals" are exempt. The draft is held in June, during the league year. So for example a player who only played in 2018-19 and 2019-20 would still be in his second professional season at the time of the 2020 expansion draft, and thus exempt.

Copp was eligible because he burned ELC years in 2014-15 and 2015-16. Thus was in his 3rd professional season when the draft rolled around at the end of 2016-17.

The same would be true for Mittelstadt if he's signed for this season. And would be true for Tolvanen if he plays 10+ NHL games in 2017-18, including playoffs.

So. Playing in AHL under ELC counts as "professional"(?), but if a player has his ELC Slide due to the Slide rules, then the Slide year doesn't count as professional year because technically contract has not been spent during it?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hmm, heard that from Rick Dhaliwal. He is a reputable Vancouver guy. I'll look into it.

Edit: I don't know how to embed tweets but here is the link:

So. Who knows? I see CapFriendly lists otherwise.

He has the max Signing Bonus of $92.500 though. Must have been a misunderstanding/-repoting.

Reactions: jd22

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So. Playing in AHL under ELC counts as "professional"(?), but if a player has his ELC Slide due to the Slide rules, then the Slide year doesn't count as professional year because technically contract has not been spent during it?

Yeah, it's all about Slide years. Slide years don't count regardless of where the player is playing (Juniors, NHL, AHL, etc). For example, William Nylander played in the AHL in 2014-15 and had his ELC slide that year. He then split the 2015-16 season between the AHL and NHL, then was full time NHL in 2016-17. He was ruled exempt from the 2017 expansion draft, as only 2015-16 and 2016-17 counted as professional seasons--his 2014-15 Slide year in the AHL didn't count.

Usually playing in the AHL will count because you don't see many 18-19 year olds there who are eligible to slide, but there are a handful of them each season.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So it was them damn slide years after all.

Sorry @georgevanlynn for misinforming (though it seems to come down to us being legally mandated to having to pretend that no extensive pro playing took place because them cheap billionaires want one more cheap year off some poor youngin).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Kole Lind, drafted 33rd overall this year just signed his ELC a week or so ago. He also got max bonuses.

I think you're mistaken.

Kole Lind - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I was referring to performance bonuses, which can drastically alter the value of a contract. For example, Lind's AAV if he hits all his bonuses will be 1.125M, Tolvanen's will be roughly 3.8M if what was stated in the OP is factual.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I think you're mistaken.

I was referring to performance bonuses, which can drastically alter the value of a contract. For example, Lind's AAV if he hits all his bonuses will be 1.125M, Tolvanen's will be roughly 3.8M if what was stated in the OP is factual.
AAV would be exactly 3.775M, if report is correct. That's the standard AAV for 1 OAs.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think you're mistaken.

Curious first year with $825k as the total Salary as opposed to $925k on the two others. Looks like he got $100k, $200k and $300k of Schedule A bonuses, and the other $100k on the first year is a Games Played bonus (which counts against the allowed max salary of $925k). It gets paid if he plays either 10 or more than 10 games up in NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
is it too late to make a run at the Calder?
Yeah. WAY too late actually. Barzal has it rapped up now and Tolvanen would need to get like 50-60 pts to be in consideration which of course AINT HAPPENIN

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Good deal for him, good deal for them. Lets hope he's placed in a good position to succeed and gain confidence. Such a good team and staff that I don't think there's much worry about him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad