News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Agreed on most of what ON pumps out but I still have time for Gregor and Brownlee. Don’t always agree but you can see some sensible talking points and where they are coming from.

The rest of them - yeesh. Sometimes it’s the same story with same talking points over and over again...just told by someone else.

ON is such a clickbait turnoff for me I rarely read Gregor or Brownlee but I’m not a fan of either of them to begin with. Bottom line, when your lead writers refer to themselves as Bagged Milk or Wanye the word idiot springs to mind for me.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nielsen is very talented but he needs a much better sidekick. Lieutenant Eric adds nothing to the show in that role and in fact, he's quite awkward. Nothing against the kid but he should stick to song parodies which he's good at and let another voice flank Dusty. The show hasn't been the same since Fraser was let go IMO.

I know some people might not like him much because he does come across as a bit arrogant but I like Yaremchuck. He's the perfect ying to the Lowetide yang, he has a good voice for radio and he's opinionated which I personally like.

When he get's going, his mouth moves faster than his brain can process...he stutters quite badly "like, like, like, that game that, that, that ...."
he was telling a story about his Nana once, afterwards I was singing Hey Jude.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
That guy wasn’t very smart or insightful. Couple that with his horrific ability as a writer and it’s a lethal combo.

The Oilersblogosphere is pretty bad.

Oilersnation lost lowetide and Willis. There’s not really great talent. I like Brownlee and Gregor and that’s it. No longer a must read site.

Coppernblue offers nothing of substance either. That Barwick guy is a complete tool on Twitter. Your typical blogger who thinks he’s better than everyone ala Henderson.

Oil on Whyte is a forgotten site for good reason.

The Oil Rig could have been great, but their lead guy gives too much hot take knee jerk reactions and stupid political agenda crap.

BLH is filled with extreme bias, I dunno how the guy slags Hall for character issues but rushes to JP every time in his defense. Also don’t forget to BUY A SHIRT which is plastered every couple paragraphs.

Lowetide is still good but his content is lacking, obviously more focused on the Athletic.

Cult of Hockey is the best. I really respect Bruce and Kurt. Staples I’m a fan of, although I get why he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Best content? The Athletic, but it’s a paywall.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Oilersnation lost lowetide and Willis. There’s not really great talent. I like Brownlee and Gregor and that’s it. No longer a must read site.

Coppernblue offers nothing of substance either. That Barwick guy is a complete tool on Twitter. Your typical blogger who thinks he’s better than everyone ala Henderson.

The Oil Rig could have been great, but their lead guy gives too much hot take knee jerk reactions and stupid political agenda crap.

BLH is filled with extreme bias, I dunno how the guy slags Hall for character issues but rushes to JP every time in his defense. Also don’t forget to BUY A SHIRT which is plastered every couple paragraphs.

Lowetide is still good but his content is lacking, obviously more focused on the Athletic.

Cult of Hockey is the best. I really respect Bruce and Kurt. Staples I’m a fan of, although I get why he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I agree with this.

Brownlee and Gregor are worth reading but the same cant be said for the rest of the writers on ON.
The site needs to grow up a bit...I mean writing under the pseudonym Bagged Milk...come on man.
If you want to be treated like you are a legitimate writer (whose opinion has some credibility) then attach your real name to the article.

As for the Cult of Hockey....great site. Thoughtful insights on the Oilers from a fans perspective.
I appreciate that.

Last edited:

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
I agree with this.

Brownlee and Gregor are worth reading but the same cant be said for the rest of the writers on ON.
The site needs to grow up a bit...I mean writing under the pseudonym Bagged Milk...come on man.
If you want to be treated like you are a legitimate writer (whose opinion has some credibility) then attach your real name to the article.

As for the Cult of Hockey....great site. Thoughtful insights on the Oilers from a fans perspective.
I appreciate that.
Yeah guymez sign your name!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Between here and listening to 1260 I don't see the point to read articles with guys opinions. The Oiler blogosphere did a real good job over the past bunch of years turning me away from listening to random people. Willis came out and admitted he didn't even watch games, so I really couldn't read his stuff anymore. Then it was endless blogs about how this guy is no good or that guy is no good. Endless stats trying to prove a guy sucks. Well f*** we knew the player/team sucked, but there was never any real insight on who should be brought it. Just an endless parade that so and so is no good, but had to be proven by stats. Staples started making up his own stats, which I had no idea what to make of because it was Oiler only stats. Nothing really to compare it to.

I'll read Gregor's latest article simply because it has direct quotes with insight from the coach.

Brownlee showed his true colors when Struds was making his way onto the scene, so I can't take his word for anything anymore. What I mean by that is Brownlee was pretty could at pretending to know what happens in the dressing room because he was in it years ago. Struds a couple times said "no that's not how it is". After that I couldn't take Brownlee seriously.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I initially started out on the actual Oilers Message Board back in the day. Not sure if that site is even active anymore.

Reactions: flashy

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Between here and listening to 1260 I don't see the point to read articles with guys opinions. The Oiler blogosphere did a real good job over the past bunch of years turning me away from listening to random people. Willis came out and admitted he didn't even watch games, so I really couldn't read his stuff anymore. Then it was endless blogs about how this guy is no good or that guy is no good. Endless stats trying to prove a guy sucks. Well **** we knew the player/team sucked, but there was never any real insight on who should be brought it. Just an endless parade that so and so is no good, but had to be proven by stats. Staples started making up his own stats, which I had no idea what to make of because it was Oiler only stats. Nothing really to compare it to.

I'll read Gregor's latest article simply because it has direct quotes with insight from the coach.

Brownlee showed his true colors when Struds was making his way onto the scene, so I can't take his word for anything anymore. What I mean by that is Brownlee was pretty could at pretending to know what happens in the dressing room because he was in it years ago. Struds a couple times said "no that's not how it is". After that I couldn't take Brownlee seriously.

The Oil blogosphere was good at one time.

But nowadays, it’s a bunch of crappy blogs repeating the same stuff, filled with crappier adds everywhere (BUY A T SHIRT!). Oilersnation now has a stupid video ad on the bottom right that’s bothersome.

Or to stand out, they need to hire a resident douche bag, who’s arrogant and condescending to garner “views”.

Take Matt Henderson, probably the worst of the bunch. He would always cry about the local media would run players out of town, but then post damning blogs about Kris Russell and Justin Schultz. Or how he demanded people to apologize to him about Kris Russell.

Thank god, that he’s no longer blogging.

All blogging is nowadays is Attention seeking for them views so that sick ad revenue piles up.

Reactions: joestevens29
Oct 15, 2008
When he get's going, his mouth moves faster than his brain can process...he stutters quite badly "like, like, like, that game that, that, that ...."
he was telling a story about his Nana once, afterwards I was singing Hey Jude.
Making fun of speech impediments......

Classy stuff.

Par for the course considering the source.

Reactions: trent_vinyl

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I initially started out on the actual Oilers Message Board back in the day. Not sure if that site is even active anymore.

Hah same here. The NHL ruined it by trying to amalgamate all the boards under one central server instead of letting the team sites have their own separate boards like it had been. It became so slow and trolls from other fan bases started flooding in and it killed those boards in a matter of weeks.

Reactions: MessierII

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown

The Athletic has the only Oilers specific content that’s worth the time to read. Which is exactly what was expected when they acquired all the best writers under one roof.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
As did I. But around when Mac T was getting heat and eventually fired they went full Gestapo and shut down any threads not positive, deleting posts etc so left.

Lurked on here for a while before finally making an account

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Athletic has the only Oilers specific content that’s worth the time to read. Which is exactly what was expected when they acquired all the best writers under one roof.

They could can Willis who is a colossal waste of time. Doesn’t even watch the games and never sees a live game - but he apparently has all the answers. I have nearly cancelled my Athletic subscription over his ridiculous articles and the endless proof he writes about why he is always right.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Same it is but it’s slow. I pop in every once in a while but I post 100% from mobile and their mobile site just sucks so bad.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
They could can Willis who is a colossal waste of time. Doesn’t even watch the games and never sees a live game - but he apparently has all the answers. I have nearly cancelled my Athletic subscription over his ridiculous articles and the endless proof he writes about why he is always right.

How would one know if he watches games or not?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

I might read the odd Gregor article....but I read pretty much Lowetide and the Athletic. I don't like Willis because you have to watch the games. Cult of Hockey is a no from me because McCurdy is OK and I don't like Leavins and Staples is terrible(and a jerk).

I haven't ready an Oilers blog other than above in 3 years.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I still don't understand how he gets so much ink (if ink were still a thing)
he doesn't live in Edmonton, clearly never played the game and admits he doesn't watch them all

Willis is the worst of the bunch

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

I also find the comments section to be better informed (minus a handful of morons) with people who actually want to discuss stuff rather than troll or repeat the same hot take they read on tsn.ca.

ON is full of morons and trolls. Reminds me. I gotta log in on Flamesnation and wreck some people (kidding).

Reactions: Darkwinter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad