News and Blog Report: Edmonton Sports Radio Thread - Part 5

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Matt Kassian had a funny one on oilersnation podcast. Just heard a clip, but it was about the one toe drag he made in his career.

Essentially was told never do it again.

Reactions: Oildrum

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Completely agree.

I have respect for Morley cause he’s a “good guy” but it’s time for Dusty Nielson to take over the Eskimos booth.

Important note: leave lieutenant Eric @ the karaoke bar prior to Eskimo game Dustin!

Dislike, simply because it would likely rob me of my morning sports radio.

I don't think the time's too far away that Dusty moves on to a bigger role fulltime, he's talented.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Matt Kassian had a funny one on oilersnation podcast. Just heard a clip, but it was about the one toe drag he made in his career.

Essentially was told never do it again.

That podcast would be so much better without Wanye. Or maybe he could learn to form a sentence without the use of a swear word and quit yelling over & interrupting other people. I know it sounds like an old man complaint but he sounds so unprofessional it drives me crazy and it really detracts from some quality guests. I couldn't even finish listening to their interview with Kelly Buchberger because of him.

Matt Kassian was a good guest, so was Shaun Belle. Both interesting interviews and they are both very well spoken.

Last edited:

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013

I don't think the time's too far away that Dusty moves on to a bigger role fulltime, he's talented.

I have to give him credit in that it's not an easy role especially in the summer. There isn't much going on in the sports world (especially in Edmonton) but they do manage to fill the show; I feel like the show has gotten a lot better in the last year.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That podcast would be so much better without Wanye. Or maybe he could learn to form a sentence without the use of a swear word and quit yelling over & interrupting other people. I know it sounds like an old man complaint but he sounds so unprofessional it drives me crazy and it really detracts from some quality guests. I couldn't even finish listening to their interview with Kelly Buchberger because of him.

Matt Kassian was a good guest, so was Shaun Belle. Both interesting interviews and they are both very well spoken.

The idiots on Oilers Nation are just that.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
brenden escott is a stud could see him hosting oilers now in a couple seasons

Agreed. Listening to his discussion with Spector the other day he sounded so natural and fluid. Replacing Ullrich with him was my favourite thing Oilers Now has done since the show started way back when.
I couldn't stand Ullrich and was really the only producer that I would skip listening to the podcasts when he had to fill in for Stauffer. He had such an unnatural robotic 'radio voice' (always leaving a small pause before the last word of a sentance, and then emphasizing that word) and never really seemed to be that knowledgeable. He also had some horrible takes where you could tell Bob was embarrassed for him at times. One that sticks out was the 14-15 offseason when Fasth and Scrivens both left the organization and we needed to find a starting goalie. Ullrich was pushing for Calvin Pickard. Not the first time or past time Bob replied this way, but his response was 'I think we can do better'.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Really? I liked Ullrich more. Escott grew up in BC as a Nucks fan so he just dosen’t have the history/knowledge/love of the team to lean back on.

I'd take the more knowledgeable person over the long time fan any day of the week on radio. In Calgary here the best person on the radio also grew up in BC as a nucks fan (IIRC).

Hilariously one of the issues with the Oilers haha.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Really? I liked Ullrich more. Escott grew up in BC as a Nucks fan so he just dosen’t have the history/knowledge/love of the team to lean back on.

Imo thats the worst part about Oilers radio on both station. The constant references to the Oilers of the 80s. It's fine to revisit that time in the summer but once training camp hits i don't want to listen to a bunch of stories from the good ol' days or even from 5 years ago.

People have to let go of the past.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Imo thats the worst part about Oilers radio on both station. The constant references to the Oilers of the 80s. It's fine to revisit that time in the summer but once training camp hits i don't want to listen to a bunch of stories from the good ol' days or even from 5 years ago.

People have to let go of the past.

I don't think Stauffer can go one day without bringing up the 80s Oilers. It's exhausting to listen to as a fan that grew up after that time

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Nielsen is very talented but he needs a much better sidekick. Lieutenant Eric adds nothing to the show in that role and in fact, he's quite awkward. Nothing against the kid but he should stick to song parodies which he's good at and let another voice flank Dusty. The show hasn't been the same since Fraser was let go IMO.

I know some people might not like him much because he does come across as a bit arrogant but I like Yaremchuck. He's the perfect ying to the Lowetide yang, he has a good voice for radio and he's opinionated which I personally like.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Nielsen is very talented but he needs a much better sidekick. Lieutenant Eric adds nothing to the show in that role and in fact, he's quite awkward. Nothing against the kid but he should stick to song parodies which he's good at and let another voice flank Dusty. The show hasn't been the same since Fraser would let go IMO.

I know some people might not like him much because he does come across as a bit arrogant but I like Yaremchuck. He's the perfect ying to the Lowetide yang, he has a good voice for radio and he's opinionated which I personally like.
To the bolded. Thank god for that. The guy was a hack and his contrarian schtick was brutally transparent

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
When do the oilers radio rights expire and will it just be be a default corus renewal, or will sportsnet open a radio station here I don't see tsn getting it

Why would tsn not want it?

They are going to be going hard for Oilers local broadcast rights in 2 years.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The idiots on Oilers Nation are just that.

Agreed on most of what ON pumps out but I still have time for Gregor and Brownlee. Don’t always agree but you can see some sensible talking points and where they are coming from.

The rest of them - yeesh. Sometimes it’s the same story with same talking points over and over again...just told by someone else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed on most of what ON pumps out but I still have time for Gregor and Brownlee. Don’t always agree but you can see some sensible talking points and where they are coming from.

The rest of them - yeesh. Sometimes it’s the same story with same talking points over and over again...just told by someone else.
I only read Gregor and Nielsen as they are the only ones that are with the team in person and have some behind the scenes info.

If I want to read people's opinions I'll come here

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad