Series Talk: Edmonton Oilers (P2) vs. San Jose Sharks (P3) - WC First Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Learn from the experience and move on. No need to dwell. Sharks can beat these guys 2 in a row. Just start with game 6 at home then anything can happen Monday night.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Game 3 should have already been a lesson that playing-not-to-lose is dumb.

I thought they brought a good game in game 3. Just lacked on execution and missed too many shots.

Game 2 I dunno what that was. Worst effort of the series by far.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Oh, I understand why and in most instances, I have no issue. I only like to point out how cheerful they get at the slightest bit of contact initiated by an Oiler. It's hilarious. Just a small little rubout on the boards that did no damage and made no difference to the play gets a huge pop. It's just funny to me. I do enjoy their rendition of Oh Canada though and I'm not one to really care much for anthems.

The crowd goes nuts over any sort of contact. I almost want to mute the game...

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I don't want to get too doom and gloom but where does this franchise go in the next 2-3 years?

Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski are all a year older and a year slower

The league has a lot of young, fast, transition teams coming up and the Pacific is only going to get more difficult as Edmonton matures.

Vlasic and Braun have taken a step back this year and can rebound but part of me thinks that a guy like Braun just has too much wear and tear on his body from all the hit's he's taken over the years and is just regressing.

Burns, while a rockstar the last 2 regular seasons, has been invisible this series and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to take over a series or two playing both ends of the ice shutting down top scorers while also scoring himself.

We have the youth but I don't know that the ceiling is there for guys like Donskoi/Meier/LaBanc to really put us over the top.

We saw how big a difference Thornton made in this series after he returned; how do we replace that? Hertl is great but he needs to magically become a true #1C for us to have any shot at the cup and that seems like a longshot despite his underlying numbers and showing he's had this year. Couture is great but has likely peaked and will only start to regress over the next couple years.

I just can't see how this team realistically wins a cup and I worry that we are going to end up being a team who is always in the middle of the pack. Qualifies for the playoffs or just misses it but has no real shot at the cup but then manages to never get a top 5 pick. Can the team even survive the poor play it would take to get the type of pick that could change the franchise? The reverse sweep and high prices seems to have killed a lot of the loyal fanbase off.

I'll continue to wait to be pleasantly surprised but I think a lot of us knew that last season was realistically our last chance to win it all with this group. The team is better on paper this year but that long playoff + short off season and condensed schedule really did a number on the team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't want to get too doom and gloom but where does this franchise go in the next 2-3 years?

Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski are all a year older and a year slower

The league has a lot of young, fast, transition teams coming up and the Pacific is only going to get more difficult as Edmonton matures.

Vlasic and Braun have taken a step back this year and can rebound but part of me thinks that a guy like Braun just has too much wear and tear on his body from all the hit's he's taken over the years and is just regressing.

Burns, while a rockstar the last 2 regular seasons, has been invisible this series and doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to take over a series or two playing both ends of the ice shutting down top scorers while also scoring himself.

We have the youth but I don't know that the ceiling is there for guys like Donskoi/Meier/LaBanc to really put us over the top.

We saw how big a difference Thornton made in this series after he returned; how do we replace that? Hertl is great but he needs to magically become a true #1C for us to have any shot at the cup and that seems like a longshot despite his underlying numbers and showing he's had this year. Couture is great but has likely peaked and will only start to regress over the next couple years.

I just can't see how this team realistically wins a cup and I worry that we are going to end up being a team who is always in the middle of the pack. Qualifies for the playoffs or just misses it but has no real shot at the cup but then manages to never get a top 5 pick. Can the team even survive the poor play it would take to get the type of pick that could change the franchise? The reverse sweep and high prices seems to have killed a lot of the loyal fanbase off.

I'll continue to wait to be pleasantly surprised but I think a lot of us knew that last season was realistically our last chance to win it all. The team is better on paper this year but that long playoff + short off season and condensed schedule really did a number on the team.

I generally approach it as we cross that bridge when we come to it. I'll really worry about next year once this season is over. At that point, we have to see who is lost to the expansion draft, if Thornton and Marleau want to re-sign, and what happens at the entry draft. We have a lot of portable assets and things we may want to look to moving out if they're not taken in the expansion draft between guys like Ward, Boedker, and maybe someone or two on our blue line.

As for replacing Thornton when that time comes, the answer is simple. You don't really. Players like that happen out of luck. Whether it's a lucky trade or lucky roll of the ball to get the pick you need. It's next to impossible to legitimately plan for a replacement of that nature. That's why teams generally fall to the bottom after losing a player of that stature and basically sit there and wait until they're able to pick someone similar.

I wouldn't worry about an extended period of mediocrity yet making the playoffs w/o Jumbo. I don't think people would want to stick around to play here in that situation. Once Thornton and Marleau are gone, this team probably drops until they get another gamebreaker.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Is it wrong that I kinda want the season to end tomorrow night? The sharks aren't good enough to go far and it's almost May. I would rather see this team recover their wounds, Couture get a face back and Thornton getting healthy for the I hope two year contract extension so he can retire in teal.

Basically I think I'm getting done with Hockey season and want to watch more baseball.

From a hockey fan standpoint, I'm rooting for Naehville. What a fun team to watch.

YES IT'S WRONG!!!

I'm going to the game Saturday. They can go golfing after Monday.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
What is up with people throwing in the towel already? and ready for of all things...baseball? I'd rather watch paint dry than watch baseball.

This fan base is too used to disappointment.

We can certainly beat the oilers twice in a row, though.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
No reason to throw in the towel. Sharks have put themselves in a position to win in 4/5 games. I think the real stinker was game 2, which I don't see the Sharks playing a full 60 like they did that night. Win tomorrow and lay it all out there in Game 7. Jones has been outstanding this series. For all the flack I personally gave him during the season; he's really elevated himself.

Kevy D

Sep 29, 2009
Moon Base
I have a bad feeling about tonight.

Sharks are going to lose in the most depressing way possible, and I'm going to cry into my beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad