Edmonton..looks bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
McDavid is good enough to hide many weaknesses and holes, but when he isn't on his game you see them completely.

In all honesty, and yes it's early, but when you look at the Oilers forwards outside of McDavid and Draisaitl, it looks like ass.

None of those remaining forwards would strike fear into any opposition.

McDavid needs to take it to another gear so the team can ride the wave.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Mcdavid is overrated. That is one reason.
Right, that's the reason...
connor-mcdavid.jpg

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
- Forward depth is really bad. If only they had a guy like Taylor Hall..
- Klefbom and Larsson have been steaming pile of garbage.
- They've gotten bad goaltending.

That all said, it's early and I expect they'll turn it around.

Reactions: A91

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well yes he is good. He is as good as Matthews. But one player can't be savior like many believe that Mcdavid is.
Anyone with a brain knows you need more than one player to win in the NHL. Saying McDavid is overrated as a reason is hilariously obtuse. How about the abysmal goaltending they've got. The injuries to the Drai and Sekera. The abysmal play from every winger not named Yamamoto. The hilariously bad play by Klefbom.

The team lacks depth with injuries, but has players under performing at every single position. Down the road they need Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to pan out as good/impact players no doubt if they want to be contenders.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Only read the last few pages, but one thing I noticed only from the game in 6, was Klef was on for quite a few against, and (aside from the 1 game I got to fully watch) all the other highlights so far I have not been impressed.

When your #1 D is playing like crap, you do not have a chance to win. Goaltending with normalize, Talbot is legit. Defense needs some work, and their lack of quality on wing has also been apparent, especially after Drai went down.

However, they are not THIS bad. They will put together a few wins soon and by Christmas, they'll be a .500 team at worst.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Right, that's the reason...
connor-mcdavid.jpg

Right......checks thread titles after game one of the regular season "McDavid is the best player since Gretzky!" "Will McDavid score 100 goals?"...I think he can still be the best player in the league and overrated. Also from what I've seen of the games and from what Oilers fans admit on their own boards(but never on the mains) is that he has not been close to part of the solution.

Obviously the biggest issue for the team going forward is the bad forward depth, the questionable rated defense(which gets even worse if Klefbom lets his play dip at all), and Talbot not bursting onto the scene as a Vezina caliber goaltending. Between these and the fact that McDavid is not lightyears better than the rest of the league as Oiler fans loved to suggest "he's worth two Auston Matthews", you guys decided to absolutely run wild this garbage after 1 game so should now be taking these well earned shots with grace but I guess not, and you still need a really really ****ing good team around him before we should be talking top two cup favorites.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
- Forward depth is really bad. If only they had a guy like Taylor Hall..
- Klefbom and Larsson have been steaming pile of garbage.
- They've gotten bad goaltending.

That all said, it's early and I expect they'll turn it around.

Yet many of those McDavid fanboys butchered me for claiming that neither were sure fire 1st pairing defenceman

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
This thread is going to look really funny in a few weeks and months. The Oilers are leading virtually every stat category in the league, except for shooting and saves percentages. They will be more than all right. Small sample sizes and puck luck. Happens every year.
Can't have it both ways, small sample size either matters or it doesn't.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Ayyyy it's the first week of the season!
I agree in terms of anyone calling them a bad team or something like that. But as far as points and such... points in Oct are worth just as many in April.

I have no doubt EDM will get it together.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
16 games in Calgary was 30th in the NHL last season. This is an overreaction, although Oiler fans didn't hesitate to mock us for it.
The Oilers will turn it around. It's a stark contrast from the threads that were being posted after the first game of the season. "When will Calgary win against Edmonton?"

It should be a learning lesson when Flames fans haven't flooded the main boards with the same.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
With their depth and the struggles on their blue line and in goal, they just look horrible, We can talk about advanced stats all day, but advanced stats don't always generate wins. Teams that hang on the whole advanced stats things tend to look like the Coyotes. the Oilers knew going into the season that their lack of depth isn't healthy. They were probably a bit lucky last year going from 70 to 100 + points and they're coming down to earth a bit. They'll probably get on a roll at some point, but continue to struggle with consistency and end up as a .500 team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Right......checks thread titles after game one of the regular season "McDavid is the best player since Gretzky!" "Will McDavid score 100 goals?"...I think he can still be the best player in the league and overrated. Also from what I've seen of the games and from what Oilers fans admit on their own boards(but never on the mains) is that he has not been close to part of the solution.

Obviously the biggest issue for the team going forward is the bad forward depth, the questionable rated defense(which gets even worse if Klefbom lets his play dip at all), and Talbot not bursting onto the scene as a Vezina caliber goaltending. Between these and the fact that McDavid is not lightyears better than the rest of the league as Oiler fans loved to suggest "he's worth two Auston Matthews", you guys decided to absolutely run wild this garbage after 1 game so should now be taking these well earned shots with grace but I guess not, and you still need a really really ****ing good team around him before we should be talking top two cup favorites.
Don't quote me if your entire post is going to consist of generalizations that I never said.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As bad as the Oilers looked they outshot the Canes 51-21.

It wasn't as dominant as the shots indicated or as lopsided as the score indicated.

When this normalizes (which it should) it will creep back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad