Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Thread: 5-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I really think we should move Franklin if we are being offered good value simply because we will lose him in the off-season for nothing. Get Saskatchewan to send Gale our way in addition to something else or bring back DeMarco and we will be fine.

I think it would be silly to pass up a good return in trade simply to "punish" the Riders.

This is the CFL, what kind of good value do you expect in a trade?

Franklin is worth more as a backup in case Reilly gets injured or just banged up enough to need a break than he will bring in trade.

Keep Frank for the season and if Reilly stays healthy the guy hardly plays then you lose him for for nothing in the off season. Or trade him and maybe Reilly gets hurt. Each has a risk.

Previously when Hervey had an offer from SSK I absolutely didn't him to trade the player but as I think about it I think we should trade him for the best deal out there.

But this is the CFL, and this is the Esks. They are not specifically going to bury Franklin indefinitely on what is clearly Reillys team when Franklin can be a starter elsewhere. Its part of the Esks way like it or not which involves treating people fairly and allowing them their opportunities. Ultimately that kind of rep makes it easier for the Esks to sign players in the first place.

If Franklin is gone its the cost of treating employees well and with their interests also at stake.

Sucks sometimes but the cost of being fair with personnel. I'll take the lumps with that. If Franklin doesn't see much action this season he's gone. Too early to say though how much he does get. If the Esks D gets it together and the Esks pull away in games we're probably seeing Franklin. Maas isn't the type of coach to overuse Reilly.

Not sure if anybody caught it but Maas and Reilly were talking about some of the changes on the weekend and one of them is that Maas will never have Reilly calling his own number. Well, not in usual circumstance, maybe a playoff game. Maas was surprised how often this would occur in past seasons ( so was I) and chalked it up to Reilly establishing who he is in the league. Maas stated we all know he is, we don't need to see it. Thus Reilly only rushing the ball if its short yards or broken play.

Makes a lot of sense to me and its something that apparently involved a lot of discussion. Maas made the careful point that he doesn't want to take the fighting for every inch Reilly out of games but that he's giving him different ways of busting D's.

Bowman joined in saying Reilly this season, with Maas, has stepped it up to a whole different level and he's seeing reads, distribution, execution, that is the best he's seen from Reilly.

Lots to be thrilled about.

Not mentioned is this Esks offense is some kind of entertaining. You can't even count the big plays these days.

Continue

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Reilly's deferral to the long game instead of rushing it himself is in fact a welcome change. I echo the sentiments that he was doing it in part to build a reputation for himself; teams started to watch for a take-off rather than a passing play and it initially gave him a lot of respect among defences. However, by season's end, it was clear that trick had run its course and like most Jones-related tactics, it was old hat. Watching opposing secondaries have to scramble for their life has been a nice twist.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Reilly's deferral to the long game instead of rushing it himself is in fact a welcome change. I echo the sentiments that he was doing it in part to build a reputation for himself; teams started to watch for a take-off rather than a passing play and it initially gave him a lot of respect among defences. However, by season's end, it was clear that trick had run its course and like most Jones-related tactics, it was old hat. Watching opposing secondaries have to scramble for their life has been a nice twist.

Agreed. Plus he always has that ace up his sleeve if teams start giving him the option. His long passing seems much better this season, and that has always been my favourite part of the game. I'm glad to see a coach willing to do that instead of nickel and diming teams to death.

If the Eskies can get the D under control and smarten up with the penalties, they are a threat again this season.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed. Plus he always has that ace up his sleeve if teams start giving him the option. His long passing seems much better this season, and that has always been my favourite part of the game. I'm glad to see a coach willing to do that instead of nickel and diming teams to death.

If the Eskies can get the D under control and smarten up with the penalties, they are a threat again this season.

his control looks better than last year. last year it seemed to take Reilly a quarter to really start to get his passes on target.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Looking at this Esks team, one should feel confident. Just moderate improvement on the defensive side and this team will be right back to the form of last season. Also, the offense looks as good as we've seen it in a long time.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone who follows the NFL have an idea of Tevaun Smith's chances of sticking down there. He'd look mighty good on our roster.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I checked and Tevaun Smith is expected to make the 53-man roster or the practice roster. This is from Ryan Grigson, Indy's GM who has strong CFL connections.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
his control looks better than last year. last year it seemed to take Reilly a quarter to really start to get his passes on target.

I agree with this. i also think that his on field awareness and decision making has been much better. He doesnt seem to get locked in like he did before.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I checked and Tevaun Smith is expected to make the 53-man roster or the practice roster. This is from Ryan Grigson, Indy's GM who has strong CFL connections.
Any more word on Colquoun in Dallas? If we could get him back by Labour Day and slide him in at safety or DB, it could be huge for our defence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree with this. i also think that his on field awareness and decision making has been much better. He doesnt seem to get locked in like he did before.

I think a whole bunch of that is his offensive coordinator. His performance this year amplifies how bad Macadoodoo was last year in his game planning and overall concept. Reilly gets the ball out of his hands a lot quicker, the field is spread out more, and he isn't expected to run as much, which is going to save some wear and tear on him as the season, and the years go by. Cory Watson is another shining example of how to turn a guy that was basically a 5th option and used for junk passes like 2 yarders to keep a defence honest, into a viable passing option anywhere on the field.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Any more word on Colquoun in Dallas? If we could get him back by Labour Day and slide him in at safety or DB, it could be huge for our defence.

I've heard nothing on him. Sammy Garza is down there and he's not saying much.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Pokemon event, Esks game where they show off an exciting offence, flo rida and then free KDays admission and of course the transit is always free! I'm really impressed. Well done Eskimos!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Pokemon event, Esks game where they show off an exciting offence, flo rida and then free KDays admission and of course the transit is always free! I'm really impressed. Well done Eskimos!

News at 11.

Unintendedly 3 fans get trampled in the 3rd quarter still wandering around looking for pokemon during a punt return..

One hiphop fool thinks lead guitarist in Flo rida is a pokemon, there is no lead guitarist, there is no Pokémon, gets booted off stage and dissed by homeboys.

One falls from top deck and landing is cushioned by beer sales guy. Get pokemon and beer. win/win. This is fun.

Replacement is wandering around the cheer team all game looking for lost pokemon. :help:

Wife wondering where Replacement is, checks all booze concessions in whole stadium.

Replacement back in seat with 5mins left in game after being there over 3hrs..Forgets to wipe copious lipstick prints off...

Replacement wakes up. ;)

Park and ride bus drivers freak out as riders look for pokemon all around and under busses. Save the pokemon!

City goes to sleep one day closer to pokemon fever being over.

Last edited:

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
News at 11.

Unintendedly 3 fans get trampled in the 3rd quarter still wandering around looking for pokemon during a punt return..

One hiphop fool thinks lead guitarist in Flo rida is a pokemon, there is no lead guitarist, there is no Pokémon, gets booted off stage and dissed by homeboys.

One falls from top deck and landing is cushioned by beer sales guy. Get pokemon and beer. win/win. This is fun.

Replacement is wandering around the cheer team all game looking for lost pokemon. :help:

Wife wondering where Replacement is, checks all booze concessions in whole stadium.

Replacement back in seat with 5mins left in game after being there over 3hrs..Forgets to wipe copious lipstick prints off...

Replacement wakes up. ;)

Park and ride bus drivers freak out as riders look for pokemon all around and under busses. Save the pokemon!

City goes to sleep one day closer to pokemon fever being over.

You are a ridiculously old man.

I've said it once, I'll say it again :laugh:

297.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad