Elks: Edmonton Eskimos Grey Cup Champions! : Jones leaves for greener pastures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I saw this link Esksfans:

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Swinney-discusses-Jacoby-Fords-future-football-21271

Pretty promising stuff! If Ford is healthy and ready to go, he could be a star in this league. This isn't a guy who can strictly return kicks - he had a 500 yard receiving season in the NFL and by all accounts has great hands. He could end up being a huge weapon for this team and make us forget Stafford pretty quickly.

He doesn't really have great hands. He is a potentially game changing kick returner and could be a good Wr but his hands are nothing to write home about. Having said that Bowman drops a boat load of passes but makes enough big plays to usually make up for them.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
He doesn't really have great hands. He is a potentially game changing kick returner and could be a good Wr but his hands are nothing to write home about. Having said that Bowman drops a boat load of passes but makes enough big plays to usually make up for them.
I've read a lot of reports that say he has great hands for a kick returner/receiver hybrid sort of player. In comparison to some of the great slot backs I'm sure he is lacking but he might have what it takes to be a plus player in the CFL. Regardless, I'm not sold the drop-off from Stafford to him will be huge and if anything, Ford provides a bit of a different element in comparison to Bowman and Walker who are big possession receivers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Mentioned in another thread, but Len Rhondes mentioned during a pre-season(i think) game that they are teaming up with Porkapoloza to have the largest tailgate party in Canada. He also mentioned that now that the schedule is released they will finalize all their other game day plans they have for the year.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Mentioned in another thread, but Len Rhondes mentioned during a pre-season(i think) game that they are teaming up with Porkapoloza to have the largest tailgate party in Canada. He also mentioned that now that the schedule is released they will finalize all their other game day plans they have for the year.

I don't know what porkapoloza is but I like the sound of it.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This will be the first of several years that the Esks won't be having a Father's Day fan day practice in Spruce Grove.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Suck it Rider fans lol. Our replacement to Chambers.

Certainly has produced at this level. Chambers has all kinds of talent and potential but never reached it. We'll see if that can be coached into him in Regina. If Getzlaf can stay healthy, he'll be a nice addition.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I was going to post about Getzlaf yesterday but Twitter beat me to it. I'm almost through my busiest month of the year so have had little time.

Getzlaf's agent is steering him toward Edmonton. I don't know the salary that he and Hervey are talking about but I hope it's not much, given his injuries, age and lack of speed. We have good Canadian receivers so I'm not sure we need the guy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was going to post about Getzlaf yesterday but Twitter beat me to it. I'm almost through my busiest month of the year so have had little time.

Getzlaf's agent is steering him toward Edmonton. I don't know the salary that he and Hervey are talking about but I hope it's not much, given his injuries, age and lack of speed. We have good Canadian receivers so I'm not sure we need the guy.

We have Nate Coehorn, who we now can consider a vet and a dependable player. Also have Cory Watson. The rest are young unknowns. Never a bad idea to get some Canadian insurance if the price is right.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I always liked Getzlaf but he seems to be on the downslope lately, hopefully he has a good bounceback. Another Canadian who's produced and has experience isn't going to hurt us that's for sure.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta

I don't mind the idea of bringing him in to compete with Watson, Coehoorn, Adjei, and Poblah. I'm assuming he's coming relatively cheap given his last couple seasons and if Adjei looks like a keeper, he'll likely get cut.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't mind the idea of bringing him in to compete with Watson, Coehoorn, Adjei, and Poblah. I'm assuming he's coming relatively cheap given his last couple seasons and if Adjei looks like a keeper, he'll likely get cut.

Bailey? Is still in the mix no?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Certainly has produced at this level. Chambers has all kinds of talent and potential but never reached it. We'll see if that can be coached into him in Regina. If Getzlaf can stay healthy, he'll be a nice addition.

that's a pretty big if.
also, he's 33, correct?

better not pay much for an old, oft injured player.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think Getzlaf will do better here because he can just be a look off receiver and not one of the possession recievers. Won't see the ball as much but can catch it. I think he'll get less coverage here because Bowman and Walker get the heat.

With the Maas offense distributing the attack I think Getzlaf could work out well.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yup, depends on the contract. And I doubt it will be much.

I'm hearing that you'd be wrong. I got this from a player who shares an agent with Getzlaf. Maybe this is taking time because Hervey won't pay what Getz wants.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I think Getzlaf will do better here because he can just be a look off receiver and not one of the possession recievers. Won't see the ball as much but can catch it. I think he'll get less coverage here because Bowman and Walker get the heat.

With the Maas offense distributing the attack I think Getzlaf could work out well.

his worth depends on what he gets paid. I'd hate to see an old receiver who is likely to get hurt be paid a lot of money

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm hearing that you'd be wrong. I got this from a player who shares an agent with Getzlaf. Maybe this is taking time because Hervey won't pay what Getz wants.

I said I doubt it will be much. As in I doubt Hervey will pay much. Which you have just stated. Thanks for confirming.:D

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Guess you're wrong.:laugh:

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 20m20 minutes ago

Good scoop Gerry Moddejonge. Eskimos sign Chris Getzlaf.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Always liked Getzlaf even if he isnt as great as he used to be.

Best of luck to him this season. Hope he fits in well and has alot fo success with the Eskies this season :handclap:

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008

I have to agree.......Getzlaf has better hands than Chambers and is more reliable and in Edmonton he won't have to be to be the "guy". A perfect second option for Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad