Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wait, what?!!

Yeah I just found out. Apparently the Beatles too. I didn't know about that one either.

Interesting in reading Jones column today that as recently as 2009 there were over 62K in the stands for a game at Commonwealth that hosted the Riders. What a tragic decade has ensued. A quarter of that number in the stands last night.

As Jones said, Presson has a giant problem to fix. That's the level you have to look to now. The problem is way beyond coach and GM.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah I just found out. Apparently the Beatles too. I didn't know about that one either.

Interesting in reading Jones column today that as recently as 2009 there were over 62K in the stands for a game at Commonwealth that hosted the Riders. What a tragic decade has ensued. A quarter of that number in the stands last night.

As Jones said, Presson has a giant problem to fix. That's the level you have to look to now. The problem is way beyond coach and GM.
Bastard!:laugh: Punked me good. Doobies are one of my favorite bands and they provided a soundtrack to a lot of my early, wild life. They did indeed break up. In 1982. I'm on their mailing list and they're still touring and providing great shows. Check out some their recent concert vids and you'll see some fantastic seasoned pros at the top of their craft.

As for this group called the Beatles, who the hell is that?:help:

Back to the Empire. Yes, no doubt this goes beyond coach and even GM. Presson has some work cut out for him. Hopefully, the stupid BOD's don't get in his way, so he can do his job.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bastard!:laugh: Punked me good. Doobies are one of my favorite bands and they provided a soundtrack to a lot of my early, wild life. They did indeed break up. In 1982. I'm on their mailing list and they're still touring and providing great shows. Check out some their recent concert vids and you'll see some fantastic seasoned pros at the top of their craft.

As for this group called the Beatles, who the hell is that?:help:

Back to the Empire. Yes, no doubt this goes beyond coach and even GM. Presson has some work cut out for him. Hopefully, the stupid BOD's don't get in his way, so he can do his job.
Yeah 1982, I remember that. Michael McDonald released that solo album. I hated that song.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It's interesting because the Eskimos are pretty much right where we all thought they would be before the year started, but the road they took to get there kinda makes it feel like the season was a colossal failure.

I don't think this team makes it past Montreal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah 1982, I remember that. Michael McDonald released that solo album. I hated that song.
Getting him into the band was like a virus infecting your body. Took them from a hard core, loud rockers, to blue eyed soul. Ironically, they enjoyed their biggest commercial success with a couple of McDonald songs, as it appears the world was ready for that at the time. Thank God they've come to their senses and went back to their roots.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Getting him into the band was like a virus infecting your body. Took them from a hard core, loud rockers, to blue eyed soul. Ironically, they enjoyed their biggest commercial success with a couple of McDonald songs, as it appears the world was ready for that at the time. Thank God they've come to their senses and went back to their roots.

But one of the problems was that their original singer, Tommy Johnson was, well, let's just say "out of commission and unavailable for duty until further notice." I think he's back now, isn't he?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's interesting because the Eskimos are pretty much right where we all thought they would be before the year started, but the road they took to get there kinda makes it feel like the season was a colossal failure.

I don't think this team makes it past Montreal.
I doubt they would make it past the Argonauts or the Lions with a healthy Reilly in the lineup. Thank God for the Redblacks for taking the mantle of worst team in the league. Matches their stupid name.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
But one of the problems was that their original singer, Tommy Johnson was, well, let's just say "out of commission and unavailable for further duty until further notice." I think he's back now, isn't he?
That is exactly why Michael McDonald came aboard. They needed someone to fill his spot for an upcoming tour while he recovered from stomach ulcers, and Jeff "Skunk " Baxter suggested a guy from his Steely Dan days. When Johnston came back healthy, his style was not meshing with the Doobie's "new style" and they parted ways, until, after a series of the odd get together, and with MacDonald out of the picture, got back together permanently in 1988 and the orginal 2 songwriters and guitarists (Johnston and Patrick Simmonds) still front the band.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I was at that game. The weather was bad too.

Which says something, doesn't it? Football fans are a hardy bunch and will come out to support a good team.

When I was a kid in the dynasty days I sat through -40F weather for those Western Finals and I should also add that I walked to the games 15 miles (one way) in my stocking feet and no jacket.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Does anyone actually have any belief that Maas is going to get fired over the offseason? I feel like even if we get blown out in Sask next weekend and the same the following sunday in Montreal that he's still going to be the coach next season.

If they end the season by going literally winless against everyone besides the Lions/Argos/Redblacks (and one game of Montreal without Adams), I just don't think they can even if they want to. The attendance at games will likely force their hand as everyone in the stands wants Maas fired and fans are starting to stay home. I bet Sunderland is really hoping the Redblacks fire Rick Campbell. I don't think he'll hesitate to gas Maas if a credible replacement is available.

Up until yesterday I was still scared that a win last night and a good showing in the East Final might be enough to save his job. I think last night's loss and the horrible optics of not winning a single home game after mid-August besides a woofer of a win over BC with Reilly injured might just have finished him, unless by some miracle they upset the Alouettes and give it a good go against Hamilton. Based on what I saw yesterday, that's not likely to happen.

It's just a shame another season had to be wasted in order to force a change. A change that we all knew was necessary two years ago.

Is there a salary cap on GM's? Just asking, because if not, if you do get a good, solid one, you pay him a lot of dough and keep him here for a long time. And the Eskimos have the most resources in the league to do that.

I don't think so. It's just coaches as far as I know.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If they end the season by going literally winless against everyone besides the Lions/Argos/Redblacks (and one game of Montreal without Adams), I just don't think they can even if they want to. The attendance at games will likely force their hand as everyone in the stands wants Maas fired and fans are starting to stay home. I bet Sunderland is really hoping the Redblacks fire Rick Campbell. I don't think he'll hesitate to gas Maas if a credible replacement is available.

Up until yesterday I was still scared that a win last night and a good showing in the East Final might be enough to save his job. I think last night's loss and the horrible optics of not winning a single home game after mid-August besides a woofer of a win over BC with Reilly injured might just have finished him, unless by some miracle they upset the Alouettes and give it a good go against Hamilton. Based on what I saw yesterday, that's not likely to happen.

It's just a shame another season had to be wasted in order to force a change. A change that we all knew was necessary two years ago.

I don't think so. It's just coaches as far as I know.
Watching the Argos pound Ottawa yesterday, all I could think was that Campbell was likely Sunderland’s first choice to replace Maas. It wasn’t a comforting feeling.

What a mess this league is these days. I’ve been a fan for over forty years and I think it’s worse now than I’ve ever seen it. People talk about the low point being the 90’s when they were forced to expand into the US to keep them afloat but we never saw crowds here back then like we do now. That type of attendance happened in the Eastern markets, never here. The lack of fans isn’t all on Jason Maas and the rest of the front office but I do think keeping him around the last two years cost this team a lot of the hard core fans and I’m not sure they get them back now.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Watching the Argos pound Ottawa yesterday, all I could think was that Campbell was likely Sunderland’s first choice to replace Maas. It wasn’t a comforting feeling.

What a mess this league is these days. I’ve been a fan for over forty years and I think it’s worse now than I’ve ever seen it. People talk about the low point being the 90’s when they were forced to expand into the US to keep them afloat but we never saw crowds here back then like we do now. That type of attendance happened in the Eastern markets, never here. The lack of fans isn’t all on Jason Maas and the rest of the front office but I do think keeping him around the last two years cost this team a lot of the hard core fans and I’m not sure they get them back now.

Would I be doing cartwheels if Rick Campbell was out next head coach? No, but he'd be a clear upgrade. The mess in Ottawa can't be pinned on him. The GM who let the whole freaking team leave as free agents and brought in literally nobody to replace them wears that albatross. The QB they sent out there yesterday was playing senior football in Fort McMurray in the recent past ffs.

I don't think this organization goes with another unknown commodity at head coach, if they can help it. Depending on how things go in Winnipeg in November, Mike O'Shea and/or Paul Lapolice might become available. Campbell might get fired. Everyone else appears safe, other than Chamblin/Chapdelaine who nobody should want any part of anyways. Among coordinators, Mark Washington has a lot of experience and has run a really good unit in Hamilton this season. Who knows how he'd be as a head coach though, it would be a similar hire to what Calybrooks was. I don't think any other coordinators are really on the radar. Bringing in a complete outsider to the CFL would be a really bad idea IMO, though it's always possible for those hires to work out. I just think Campbell or Lapolice are the two obvious choices if they're available.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a cure all by any means, because there are lots of reasons for fan apathy, but I still say, what with TV exposure, the weather plays a part in lack of attendance at this time of year. Wish they would have the nads to take a bold step, shorten the schedule, and finish things up end of October. They need to try something.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not one to say "told you so" often, but thought this team remained weak in the defensive backfield after the off season, and any additions did very little to address that problem. No shutdown corner, and the others seem small and/or weak/slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad