Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2019 v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Who was the ass hat in the Edmonton media that was suggesting, this past off season, that Kavis Reed would be a good choice to succeed Rhodes as Eskimos president? That was laughable enough before this came out. Completely head shaking stuff now.

Probably Dave Campbell. What a pill that guy is.

He'd nominate an Eskimo management type for Pope.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just watched my recording of the Esks game on Thursday.

A few takeaways;

My lord BC is terrible. That was evident in first game but this was worse. Edmonton gets two TD's on entirely blown plays.

The BC schemes, offensively and defensively are just awful. Outside of Montreal there isn't a worse coached club. Reilly getting pressured continuously and they consistently have 3 guys running deep patterns. In two games now they made very little adjustment to pressure. To blitz. Even when Reilly was rolling out they had more success but weren't doing it. In two games now against BC we can't gauge our own coverage game because basically only half a dozen plays where Reilly can even exploit.

Special team play was better. Basically because of some burn speed. But again BC was getting burned on coverage in ways that looked mickey mouse. The last return reverse was just comically bad contain.

The Eskimos D front is the special package here. We go as far as that takes us. Bit worried about Harris now playing on two banged up knees and I think our offense didn't really dominate as much as scoreline indicated. The D gave us the ball a lot, and the returns gave us good field position a lot. Outside of some plays we were sputtering somewhat on offense considering how bad BC is.

Anybody else feeling like its hard to get a gauge on the club yet? In 4 games we've played 3 of them against abysmal clubs. The one good team we played beat us.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

A few takeaways;

My lord BC is terrible. That was evident in first game but this was worse. Edmonton gets two TD's on entirely blown plays.

The BC schemes, offensively and defensively are just awful. Outside of Montreal there isn't a worse coached club. Reilly getting pressured continuously and they consistently have 3 guys running deep patterns. In two games now they made very little adjustment to pressure. To blitz. Even when Reilly was rolling out they had more success but weren't doing it. In two games now against BC we can't gauge our own coverage game because basically only half a dozen plays where Reilly can even exploit.

Special team play was better. Basically because of some burn speed. But again BC was getting burned on coverage in ways that looked mickey mouse. The last return reverse was just comically bad contain.

The Eskimos D front is the special package here. We go as far as that takes us. Bit worried about Harris now playing on two banged up knees and I think our offense didn't really dominate as much as scoreline indicated. The D gave us the ball a lot, and the returns gave us good field position a lot. Outside of some plays we were sputtering somewhat on offense considering how bad BC is.

Anybody else feeling like its hard to get a gauge on the club yet? In 4 games we've played 3 of them against abysmal clubs. The one good team we played beat us.

Winnipeg has played TOR and BC and beat us by one score only because we messed up badly in our game against them.

I feel like there are four good teams (EDM, WPG, CGY, HAM) and the rest are mediocre to bad this year. Amongst those four good teams there is more parity than there has been for a while in the league. Hamilton beat Calgary by one score.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On 1260 yesterday they were talking about how when Reed was here he has a sandwich guy and a lawn guy that the Esks paid for. Sounds like one of those guys went to Montreal with him as well.

It's really quite comical.

They were saying when Jamieson comes back from holidays he needs to open up. Apparently he can write a book on the Esks with a fairly large chapter of Reed.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
On 1260 yesterday they were talking about how when Reed was here he has a sandwich guy and a lawn guy that the Esks paid for. Sounds like one of those guys went to Montreal with him as well.

It's really quite comical.

They were saying when Jamieson comes back from holidays he needs to open up. Apparently he can write a book on the Esks with a fairly large chapter of Reed.

I hope for Kavis' sake he also employs a fall guy. I wonder if his uncles who made him fight that bigger kid on the basketball court are also on the payroll. :laugh:

Reactions: joestevens29

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am glad that the truth about KR is finally being revealed but the problem is that its another black eye for the CFL in a city in which it has struggled.

Very unimpressive and unfortunately it says something about how the EE have been run in the last decade. Look at the bodies in the stands to see how the public has seen things evolving in the igloo.

ET, KR, DM (at least a nice guy) Rhodes etc.--- what a series of bad hiring decisions.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have to think this is the final curtain on KR's sorry record as a coach/GM in this league. Sullies a very nice career, but I think and hope this is the last of him we see in the CFL.

Reactions: guymez

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

A few takeaways;

The Lions have big problems no doubt, and their O-line is one of the issues, but one thing I've noticed is that Reilly is doing the same things he did here that got him into trouble a lot. Has difficulty going through his reads properly and has a rather slow release of the ball. Same things plagued him last year especially, but our elite receivers the last few years caught the long bombs and piled up the yardage. Contrast this with Trevor Harris or even the much maligned Matt Nichols, and they have a very quick release point and go through their reads very quickly, avoiding a lot of physical punishment. Reilly still has that tough guy mentality, where he thinks he needs to stand in there and wait for the guy he wants to get the ball to, and thus takes a beating. Bad O-line or not, this really isn't a huge surprise to me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Lions have big problems no doubt, and their O-line is one of the issues, but one thing I've noticed is that Reilly is doing the same things he did here that got him into trouble a lot. Has difficulty going through his reads properly and has a rather slow release of the ball. Same things plagued him last year especially, but our elite receivers the last few years caught the long bombs and piled up the yardage. Contrast this with Trevor Harris or even the much maligned Matt Nichols, and they have a very quick release point and go through their reads very quickly, avoiding a lot of physical punishment. Reilly still has that tough guy mentality, where he thinks he needs to stand in there and wait for the guy he wants to get the ball to, and thus takes a beating. Bad O-line or not, this really isn't a huge surprise to me.

All good points and yes, this is consistent with your past takes. In defense of mine, Reilly no longer evades tackle, which he used to do, and used to do it enough times for a blitz or pressure package to not always be a good idea.

Reilly, not sure if you heard, had extreme difficulty with Panic anxiety attacks in 2018 (I'm not joking) Really I can't even imagine playing pro football as a QB, when your enemies are 300lb external monsters and combined with internal fears. Reilly has expectedly heard footsteps much more. He's in panic mode out there, a lot of the time, and he's not seeing openings anymore. Pass or evade options. He's gotten older of course.

Sunderland is looking like a genius for the timing of this move, but then again they had more information on what Reillys condition was. The interesting thing is whether BC had the information on the Reilly panic attacks. The first I heard about it was a month ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
All good points and yes, this is consistent with your past takes. In defense of mine, Reilly no longer evades tackle, which he used to do, and used to do it enough times for a blitz or pressure package to not always be a good idea.

Reilly, not sure if you heard, had extreme difficulty with Panic anxiety attacks in 2018 (I'm not joking) Really I can't even imagine playing pro football as a QB, when your enemies are 300lb external monsters and combined with internal fears. Reilly has expectedly heard footsteps much more. He's in panic mode out there, a lot of the time, and he's not seeing openings anymore. Pass or evade options. He's gotten older of course.

Sunderland is looking like a genius for the timing of this move, but then again they had more information on what Reillys condition was. The interesting thing is whether BC had the information on the Reilly panic attacks. The first I heard about it was a month ago.
Yes, I was very surprised and concerned about hearing of his panic attacks, as he seems like such a cool customer, both on and off the field, but like so many things in life, we don't see what's under the exterior. And Sunderland fell into some very good fortune, losing Reilly to the Lions at the right time, and then acquiring Harris as the backup option. But he's not too smart, because he did offer Reilly an awful lot of money and term to stay here, but the Leo's outbid us, forcing him to go to plan B. I wish the best for Reilly, as he is a class act and is a great ambassador for the league, just not any against us, but I think Father Time and wear and tear on the body and inability to change his ways, means we got out at the right time.

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think Sunderland and the EE knew that Reilly was long gone as soon as the 2018 season ended.

They paid lip service to the notion that they "matched every dollar that B.C. offered" but I think it was just talk.

It will be interesting to see how Hervey reacts at the end of the season--- if indeed Reilly's game has truly gone south.

If a weak looking team finishes out of the playoffs then do you go with a $700K per season 35 year old QB or do you cut him and start a rebuild in a league where you can make a lot of changes in the off season--- in a big hurry.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Have to think this is the final curtain on KR's sorry record as a coach/GM in this league. Sullies a very nice career, but I think and hope this is the last of him we see in the CFL.

His career could only be stated to be nice if you completely and utterly ignore how awful the results he had the entire way were. Incompetence incarnate that kept getting promoted somehow.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
His career could only be stated to be nice if you completely and utterly ignore how awful the results he had the entire way were. Incompetence incarnate that kept getting promoted somehow.
I was referring to his playing career specifically, which, while brief, was a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad