Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Oilers Acquire Brad Ross & 107th For Martin Marincin

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Care to make a rebuttal instead of just insulting, and using smilies?

Fact is, the Slovak team is a hell of a lot weaker than team Canada. If you really think Reinhart would have no chance to make it, or that Marincin could even get a sniff of team Canada, I can't help you.

Good point, Reinhart is younger as well. Give him a few more years, and I'm sure he could make his way on to the super star laden Slovak team.

Ah sure.

I don't think there is a hope in hell Reinhart would have worked his way into the top four of any Olympic team. Even a team like Denmark has solid men who can skate play hard with NHLers. He is too slow for big ice. He might have made a few Olympic teams as a #7 but saying anything else is putting on some seriously rose coloured glasses.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We moved Marincin because we would lose him to waivers in camp.

He is currently. ...
5th on our left d depth chart.

Rather get something then give up nothing.

Oct 15, 2008
Ah sure.

I don't think there is a hope in hell Reinhart would have worked his way into the top four of any Olympic team. Even a team like Denmark has solid men who can skate play hard with NHLers. He is too slow for big ice. He might have made a few Olympic teams as a #7 but saying anything else is putting on some seriously rose coloured glasses.

Made the wjc team twice and won a gold medal, but is too slow for the big ice.

Care to take me up on my wager?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This was an awful deal but he was going to move at some point, so at least from an asset management perspective, getting Gryba softens the blow.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Ah sure.

What IATL said.

And sheesh, if you think Griffin can't make Denmark's roster in the next two years, you are crazy.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I just can't see how people think getting a 4th for a tweener prospect that had no role on this team, is a bad thing. Anybody flipping out about this trade has to be new to hockey. They just have to be. It's my only explanation.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
This is called smart asset management from an experienced General Manager.

Let me play out the scenario.

We have two major needs on defense:
* puck-moving top-pairing
* gritty big man to play protector

MM fits neither of these needs. Couple this with a poor AHL playoff performance, let's assume that MM did not fit on the Oilers next year.

If we waited past today, we couldn't trade him until October... and most likely, we would have had to put him on waivers. We get nothing in the case.

So now, PC is looking at getting literally ANYTHING, because the alternative is NOTHING.

You can best believe he tried to package MM with picks for something earlier... but got no biters. The market had spoken. Those of you saying that MM should have been traded for Shea Weber (hyperbole) are out of touch with market demand.

At the end of the day, PC got something that is usable by the Oilers next year for MM, and helped avoid what happened to MacTavish - letting a key asset (e.g. Petry) walk away for nothing

That, my friends, is a good GM.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Exactly what I was going to type.

Ross is basically a scratch ticket at this point.

He likely turns into nothing, but it won't cost the Oilers any money or contract spots to retain his rights while he plays overseas. That's if the Oilers even throw a qualifying offer his way though.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Marincin could easily end up being the better player between him and Reinhart. I just hope Reinhart pans out that's all I'll say.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Well I thought we would get more for him Marincin was very over rated by most Oilers fans. I think people see the potential of such a tall D man, but the potential just isn't there. He is too slow on his feet and too weak. Guy is just not filling out, he doesnt' have the frame to be a NHL d man.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014

MM fits neither of these needs. Couple this with a poor AHL playoff performance, let's assume that MM did not fit on the Oilers next year.

If we waited past today, we couldn't trade him until October... and most likely, we would have had to put him on waivers. We get nothing in the case.

So now, PC is looking at getting literally ANYTHING, because the alternative is NOTHING.

You can best believe he tried to package MM with picks for something earlier... but got no biters. The market had spoken. Those of you saying that MM should have been traded for Shea Weber (hyperbole) are out of touch with market demand.

At the end of the day, PC got something that is usable by the Oilers next year for MM, and helped avoid what happened to MacTavish - letting a key asset (e.g. Petry) walk away for nothing

Beautiful.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I agree with all this but the Mac T comment. He got a 2nd round pick. the logic is simliar, I am sure Mac T shopped Petry, there was no demand, so he took a pick insteand of letting him leave as a UFA for nothing.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I'm a huge fan of both Toronto and Edmonton, and I like the trade from both sides. Marincin is more valuable to the Leafs, young defence man who needs a fresh start with fresh partners. Him and Polak will make a good pairing.
And as for the Oil, it doesn't look great at face value, but in the end I think Gryba is more valuable to the team. He plays hard and he's physical. How can anyone here complain about that? Marincin was misused by Oil, there was no way he would be a core part of the team going forward. Gryba bridges the gap, helps with the veteran presence, and gives Reinhart a chance to grow with the team, and potentially surpass Marincin skill-wise. I don't think that's so far fetched.

Leave Chiarelli alone, he's made some great moves already for Edmonton. Would you rather MacT back? Could he have secured Talbot at a low price? You think Gryba would be here if MacT was in charge? No way.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton

Fantastic. :handclap:

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I agree with all this but the Mac T comment. He got a 2nd round pick. the logic is simliar, I am sure Mac T shopped Petry, there was no demand, so he took a pick insteand of letting him leave as a UFA for nothing.

The difference is that MacT allowed himself into that position weeks before Petry was becoming a UFA.

PC avoided the situation completely by addressing a full year before it happened!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ross is basically a scratch ticket at this point.

He likely turns into nothing, but it won't cost the Oilers any money or contract spots to retain his rights while he plays overseas. That's if the Oilers even throw a qualifying offer his way though.
Ross is a contract. Almost for sure no more. Toronto is relatively close to the contract limit and if they move some of their roster players they are probably looking at taking back multiple players in exchange.

I am disappointed that it got to this point where Marincin had no future in Edmonton, which is a shame because I had high hopes for him. But that is pretty much where we were. Based on his play in the AHL Davidson probably passed him on the depth chart, which would be a signal that it was over for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad