Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TOR] Oilers Acquire Brad Ross & 107th For Martin Marincin

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
A "blue chip prospect". Now I've heard everything.

Nurse is a blue chip prospect. Marincin is just a prospect. Making the Olympics really doesn't say much when apart from Chara you probably couldn't name all of the other defenders on that Czech team without looking.

People don't seem to realize that perception around the NHL is different than how hometown fans see things. To us Marincin is a "top 4 NHL defender". To other, better teams around the league, he's probably a 6/7/8 guy. I watched the guy after Petry was traded and he just couldn't keep up, even under Nelson. People can say that Eakins ruined him, but didn't he play his best under Eakins while paired with Petry?

Well, Marincin did make the list of top 50 prospects on hockeysfutures website a year or so ago. He was a legitimate prospect with top 4 upside. Only 23, may still get there with another organization. But you can't really fault the oIlers for moving him. He regressed and there was no guarantee he would make the opening day roster, which would translate in losing him on waivers. So they decided to cut their losses and get something for him. Gryba may have lower upside, but he's already an NHL defenseman and meets this team's needs for a physical, PK d-man who won't hurt you ES in limited minutes. He's essentially what we are hoping Musil becomes one day.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They actually made him use a different length stick and put on as much weight as possible.

Both he did without complaint I believe.

Mac T had a man crush on Hunt from coaching him in the AHL. I agree with those saying they actually went into this last season with the intent to bury him in the AHL one more year.

Interesting...I didnt know that about the stick and the added weight. How could those 2 items not affect his play...for them to be so impatient with him after he complied with 2 major elements is inexcusable.

It fits though.

The decision to bury him in the AHL was quite evident as well...it was clear right away that the team didnt have time for Marincin. There simply wasn't enough pre-season ice time for him to have his play affect the decision making process.
Then to elevate Hunt at the expense of Marincin. Wow.

Its pretty clear that they completely mismanaged this player...what a shame.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I would assume they didn't have much time for him after he showed up to camp out of shape.

They asked him to bulk up. He came back 15lbs heavier and obviously all of that wasn't good weight.

Peckham and Penner both had the same things said to the media about them when they showed up out of shape. I don't know why people are acting like MacT's comments were part of some witch hunt. Team don't take kindly to that type of stuff. It's pretty standard across the league.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well, Marincin did make the list of top 50 prospects on hockeysfutures website a year or so ago. He was a legitimate prospect with top 4 upside. Only 23, may still get there with another organization. But you can't really fault the oIlers for moving him. He regressed and there was no guarantee he would make the opening day roster, which would translate in losing him on waivers. So they decided to cut their losses and get something for him. Gryba may have lower upside, but he's already an NHL defenseman and meets this team's needs for a physical, PK d-man who won't hurt you ES in limited minutes. He's essentially what we are hoping Musil becomes one day.

I may end up really liking Gryba, have not watched him good or bad yet. Clean slate. From a guy who sees him regularly tho he compares him to Theo Peckam. A guy I was very high on but completely fell apart instead of improving.

Hopefully Gryba is a better version of Theo if there are similarities.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would assume they didn't have much time for him after he showed up to camp out of shape.

They asked him to bulk up. He came back 15lbs heavier and obviously all of that wasn't good weight.

Peckham and Penner both had the same things said to the media about them when they showed up out of shape. I don't know why people are acting like MacT's comments were part of some witch hunt. Team don't take kindly to that type of stuff. It's pretty standard across the league.

True but not in situations where you tell the player to gain as much weight as he can.

Despite some revisionist history prevalent on this board, by the end of preseason Marincin was looking very good. Had a very rough start to camp but had a couple games right at the end where he was very good. Where as Klefbom and Hunt started good and finished weak.

I actually think the guy with the best pre-season overall was Nurse. He didnt get his chance until both Hunt and Klefbom struggled in the NHL.

Marincin didn't get called up until all those guys had thier cup of coffee.

Thus why everyone was disgusted with Mac T using the start of the season as a extended training camp.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I get that some are upset that the Oilers gave up on Marincin early. But there is a limited number of LD spots on the team and the Oilers already had Nurse and Klefbom who Marincin obviously wasn't going to bump out. After they picked up Reinhart there wasn't really a spot for him anytime in the near future.

How many young LD can a team afford to break in at one time? I'd argue that 4 is too many. Marincin drew the short stick.

I wish him nothing but the best. Ideally on a team that isn't the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad