Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Just read that he is equally comfortable on either side of C... Does anyone have knowledge of that, could have been old info there was no date.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Regardless, it's a win for the Oilers. Another guy to plug into their top 9 somewhere who brings another player who's hard to play against. Now, you get Andersson and the third line becomes pretty hard to play against.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well the team is thinner down the middle than they were yesterday and it wasnt exactly a strength to begin with.

This has to be a cap deal or its a really questionable move IMO.

Sam is an awful centre. Period.

He provides zero other than offense, and struggles doing that too.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Purcell is relatively big but he doesnt play that way. Also leaves the team thin down the middle.

Perplexing trade to say the least. The ONLY way this makes sense is if Purcells contract creates some cap space for another move.

If they expect a raw rookie in Draisaitl to play 2nd line minutes then it looks like management has learned nothing from the previous 5 years.

Might be that the hope is to bring in another 2C and Arco is the hope if that doesn't happen. Wasn't Arcobello arguably playing that position better than Gags (last year) anyway?

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC
I actually really like Sam. Hope he turns it around out east. I think he can.

I too wish Sam the best. I bet this kicks his career back on track...good player stuck in the wrong situation the last couple of years. This seems like a lateral move at best. Not in love with it.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
How is it for Tampa? They have Johnson, Stamkos and Filpulla. Although Filpulla played tons of Wing in Detroit, he was one of their best players last year.

Have to think Tampa is up to something else.

I thought Johnson was playing on a line with Stamkos? My mistake. My first thought was to have him as a 3C or flip him for something else.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
A lateral move at best...Purcell is big but he doesn't use his size. Not sure what to make out of this trade, one is as good/awful as the other. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out but my initial reaction is TB wins this by a small margin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Where ever could we find a center to win 40% of the face-offs, not know who to cover defensively and be unable to hit or stay on his skates for a full shift

Yeah...I am sure Leon will be much better in his rookie season when he is thrown to the wolves. :help:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Thank you sam. My favorite player when he was a rook. But now, its time to move on. Will be rooting for him though

Eirhead*

Yeah...I am sure Leon will be much better in his rookie season when he is thrown to the wolves. :help:

It certainly appears that it's going to be that way eh? :laugh:

I bet MacT has plans to bring in another center so that Draisaitl has to push his way onto the lineup. But clearly, the writing's on the wall ;)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Might be that the hope is to bring in another 2C and Arco is the hope if that doesn't happen. Wasn't Arcobello arguably playing that position better than Gags (last year) anyway?

If Arco (or Draisaitl) is the answer to the question then the question is flawed.

Lets hope that MacT isnt that stupid.

I am hoping that another Centre is acquired. Lord knows they have the CAP space...use it.

Anybody know what Purcells contract is?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't mind the trade in a vacuum. Purcell has been a good point producer the past 4 years with Tampa. Better than Gagner. And he's been healthy. Much happier with Purcell than I would have been with Wilson or Bailey.

But this team better be targeting a center that can play top 6 minutes. Because putting Draisaitl there and calling it a day just doesn't cut it.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Gagner is hot garbage so getting anything for him is great. The only thing he can do is put up a respectable number of points. He literally doesn't do anything else well, and you need much more from your centers.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Lightning fan here (in peace)...everyone on our board is going to go ape-$hit over this - extremely happy. Purcell is an offense killer to be honest and was demoted to fourth line minutes at the end of the season. Purcell is about as soft as it gets...won't stand up for his teammates, will not backcheck. He is a perimeter player...only thing good I can say about him really is that his teammates liked him. He generally looked disinterested and Cooper was not able to get him to play defense. You are probably getting a third or fourth line winger with some skill. Our coach (Cooper) demands 2 way forwards who hustle and try to get puck back ... Purcell is awful fit for this.

Good luck with him...

Did Sam Gagner just need a change of scenery? Can you please let me know a bit more about him? Thank you in advance.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It certainly appears that it's going to be that way eh? :laugh:

I bet MacT has plans to bring in another center so that Draisaitl has to push his way onto the lineup. But clearly, the writing's on the wall ;)

Lets hope so.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Eccstatic at first

6 ft 3 in winger

Tampa fan says he's not that good defensively, decent secondary scoring but Gagner is better at that.

In 81 games last year, Purcell was only credited with 13 hits... makes me think that we shouldn't expect too much physical play

Now I'm kind of dreading this trade.

300k cap savings, so really nothing there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad