Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
Jimmi...you can read whatever you want into my statements and clearly you are because I never said keeping Gagner was an option.

I am simply saying (for the 3rd time now) that Purcell is not the player that some posters want to believe he is.

It really is that simple.

I think everyone knows the type of player Purcell is though, a guy with size that plays a perimeter game. Purcell also is a better possession player that puts up more points and has only missed 3 games in the past 4 seasons. Was he a salary dump? Of course he was, but they got back a player that can actually play at the NHL level, that has broke the 60 pt barrier once and the 50 pt barrier once as well. Last year was considered such a bad year for him and he still reached 40 pts. His problem is consistency.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
From what I've read, I see Purcell as a taller (but not heavier) right wing version of Gagner.

I didn't see Gagner as a good centre option and if the Oilers were going to move Gagner to wing anyways, it makes sense to simply pick up at least an experienced winger (who plays similar to Gagner) than an inexperienced Gagner at RW.

Also, I see it as a contract dump for a contract dump.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Purcell is basically the same weight as Gagner...Penner is 250 lbs.

Purcell plays the perimeter...Penner doesn't.

Oiler fans have invented a player that doesn't exist. If you and others think that Purcell is a big player that goes to the dirty areas then you are going to be very disappointed.

Now I am not suggesting that Gagner shouldn't have been traded...he wasnt a fit for this team.

What I am saying is that I am not at all convinced that Purcell is a fit.

Purcell doesnt play the perimeter. He plays around the net

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
From what I've read, I see Purcell as a taller (but not heavier) right wing version of Gagner.

I didn't see Gagner as a good centre option and if the Oilers were going to move Gagner to wing anyways, it makes sense to simply pick up at least an experienced winger (who plays similar to Gagner) than an inexperienced Gagner at RW.

Also, I see it as a contract dump for a contract dump.

It was a dump for a dump, no way to get around that. that being said I still really like the deal, Purcell will just compliment what we have a lot better. We needed some size and with LD in the mix the #2 is now filled.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It was either Purcell or a 6th round pick. I'm glad we got Purcell

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It was either Purcell or a 6th round pick. I'm glad we got Purcell

Or keep Gagner. Who, no matter how flawed, is an NHL center who has proven he can produce in this league.

I was okay with this deal under the assumption that MacT had a replacement lined up for Gagner. He didn't. With that in mind, this trade looks awful.

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Or keep Gagner. Who, no matter how flawed, is an NHL center who has proven he can produce in this league.

I was okay with this deal under the assumption that MacT had a replacement lined up for Gagner. He didn't. With that in mind, this trade looks awful.

Sam Gagner is not an NHL center. The Oilers were not going to play him at center if they kept him because he SUCKS as a center. He sucks on the wing too, which is why the best they could do in a trade was get a guy like Purcell.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He is an NHL center, just not on this team. I actually don't see "keep Gagner" as a realistic return when you can get an actual NHL player in return.

He's not going to get "easier" to trade once the NTC kicks in.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sam Gagner is not an NHL center. The Oilers were not going to play him at center if they kept him because he SUCKS as a center. He sucks on the wing too, which is why the best they could do in a trade was get a guy like Purcell.

Sam Gagner as a center put up 38 points in 48 games in the lockout season.

He had the worst year of his career, coming back too early from a really bad injury and the Oilers sold him at his lowest possible value and did not have any suitable replacement for him.

And now we have Marc Arcobello as this team 2nd line center and people are okay with it :shakehead

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Sam Gagner as a center was terrible defensively despite starting in the offensive zone most of the time. He was -29 last year, and -6 the year prior. In fact, in his seven years playing for the Oilers he was positive only once.

I've heard countless tales of Gagner being a great team first guy. Why doesn't this team first guy learn how to defend - one of the most important responsibilities for any centre?

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

He had the worst year of his career, coming back too early from a really bad injury and the Oilers sold him at his lowest possible value and did not have any suitable replacement for him.

And now we have Marc Arcobello as this team 2nd line center and people are okay with it :shakehead

Gagner can put up some points when spoon-fed pp time and good linemates. He is a total disaster at everything else. MacTavish was pretty clear that if he was kept he would not play center. The guy can't do it an this level, not on a team that hopes to be good.

Nobody should be ok with Arcobello as 2nd line center. If he has that role at the start of the year then MacTavish has failed.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

How was Gagner's defense?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Sam Gagner as a center was terrible defensively despite starting in the offensive zone most of the time. He was -29 last year, and -6 the year prior. In fact, in his seven years playing for the Oilers he was positive only once.I've heard countless tales of Gagner being a great team first guy. Why doesn't this team first guy learn how to defend - one of the most important responsibilities for any centre?

After reading this ridiculous post I decided to do some checking back.

The fact is that the bolded is a silly statement. That's the salient fact here.

Looked at the last 4 seasons as illustration. Over that time only 6 instances of oiler forwards (with at least 20GP) being positive are found. Which works out to 1.5/season. With this positive score being a rare event for any player on a poor club. Gagner actually being one of the 6 that had a positive +/- in any of those years.

After reading that post one wonders if you comprehend the relationship between say a clubs EV goal differential and its respective players +/-. Apparently you don't.

Just for a lol the Oilers have expedited 3 of the 6 forwards that have managed to have a positive +/- during the last 4 years. They are, Sam Gagner, Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff.

Oh and incidentally, Taylor Hall has been positive once.

All of the above not meaning much of anything but really seemingly required response to a post that didn't say anything at all.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Uhhhh we wanted 3 scoring lines and he adds that. Sorry how does that not solve one of our many problems?

We have 3 scoring lines with Arcobello, and Gordon respectively, as Centers on two of them? You can't be serious.

Explain how that's going to work. On paper at the moment, and unless we forcefeed Draisaitl to his detriment this is one of the weakest center depth charts in the league right now.

Centers usually being intimately involved in any and all production, we're going into a season with 2 of those centers that have NHL highs of 29, and 18 pts. Neither has scored more than 8 goals in a season.

yeah, before were getting too carried away with what Gordon can do offensively last year was like a career year for the veteran player offensively. it was him hitting it out of the ballpark offensively with 8 goals and 13 assists. This was the offensive version of Boyd Gordon. The one on off offensive years has something like 14 pts.

:help:

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

LOL.

Gagner is not an NHL center. I doubt he could pull off center in the AHL.

He can put up points but has literally zero success at anything expected of an NHL center.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
LOL.

Gagner is not an NHL center. I doubt he could pull off center in the AHL.

He can put up points but has literally zero success at anything expected of an NHL center.

Unless he can suddenly learn how to play defense, he's two years away from playing out his career in Europe.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Anybody who tries to deny that Gagner defensively last year was worse than any season since his career started including his rookie year. I cannot take seriously. He will be a addition by subtraction alone.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Unless he can suddenly learn how to play defense, he's two years away from playing out his career in Europe.

Unlikely. I didn't like Gagner as much as anybody, but he's a serviceable player. He's definitely not center material, so if he can't find his game on the wing then I'd probably agree he's toast

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
He'll likely do well in a sheltered role.... playing with bigger/better defensive linemates. Gagner has solid offensive instincts and he'll likely be one of the leading scorers in Arizona.

It could go one of two ways... his offense might be stifled somewhat under the more strict defensive system the Coyotes play under... but it's also possible he'll be used to generate offense on the PP and... (guessing here)... maybe even allowed to be MORE creative in a system that obviously needs an offensive spark.

Coyotes leading scorer among centres in the last 5 seasons:

13/14 Ribiero with 47 pts
12/13 Hanzal with 23 pts in 39 games (48 pt pace)
11/12 Hanzal with 34 pts in 64 games (44 pt pace)
10/11 Belanger (before he sucked) 40 pts

4 years and that team hasn't found a centre that can crack 50 pts.

They desperately need someone at pivot who can generate offense and their desperation has led them to Gagner. :)

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
He'll likely do well in a sheltered role.... playing with bigger/better defensive linemates. Gagner has solid offensive instincts and he'll likely be one of the leading scorers in Arizona.

It could go one of two ways... his offense might be stifled somewhat under the more strict defensive system the Coyotes play under... but it's also possible he'll be used to generate offense on the PP and... (guessing here)... maybe even allowed to be MORE creative in a system that obviously needs an offensive spark.

Coyotes leading scorer among centres in the last 5 seasons:

13/14 Ribiero with 47 pts
12/13 Hanzal with 23 pts in 39 games (48 pt pace)
11/12 Hanzal with 34 pts in 64 games (44 pt pace)
10/11 Belanger (before he sucked) 40 pts

4 years and that team hasn't found a centre that can crack 50 pts.

They desperately need someone at pivot who can generate offense and their desperation has led them to Gagner. :)

so they acquire gagner? a player who had legit nhl wingers and could not get 50 in an offense 1st system

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
so they acquire gagner? a player who had legit nhl wingers and could not get 50 in an offense 1st system

Well... put it this way... they basically replaced their top scoring centre for free (a late round draft pick for 2 players in fact)... so basically free)... (other than Gagner's hefty contract of course).

They basically HAD to add a C with Ribiero turfed and they likely looked around and saw very few options for centres around the NHL who could be acquired for cheap that could put up 40-50 pts.

They are likely betting that Gagner still has upside (and something to prove)... so they are somewhat buying low and will see if he has another level he can reach... like he looked to be doing in the strike shortened season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I get the feeling Mac T is going to lose on this trade, but he cornered himself into a bad situation.

Should've traded Sam last summer when his value was high and signed Grabovski to a 2-year deal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anybody who tries to deny that Gagner defensively last year was worse than any season since his career started including his rookie year. I cannot take seriously. He will be a addition by subtraction alone.

So then that one season defines him..?

Nobody denies the bolded.

I would deny your last statement which will be proved wrong soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad