Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL] Sam Gagner For Teddy Purcell; Then TBL Trades Gagner to ARZ Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've actually really liked Purcell.

He digs in the corners and along the boards as much as anyone. I was surprised he was showing that much compete.

Purcell has not been bad, but I would also say not great.

However, I would still take him over Gagner because he can and does win puck battles.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Purcell 11GP 1G 4A 5Pts 0PIM -7
Gagner 11GP 1G 2A 3Pts 8PIM -4

It's like a snail race.
worraps if you want to forward me a list of things you hate, I can get started on your avatar.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Gagner with another goal tonight in first period and 4pts and counting in last 6games.

Was one of the best Yotes on the ice in the last game and continuing where he left off tonight.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know that everyone hates Gagner on here but i've stated numerous times that we never should have traded him unless we had another center lined up. Every year in his career he's posted top to mid end 2nd line center number (finishing between 18th to 50th amongst NHL centers). We know that Gagner is good for 40+ points every year and that he wasn't the ideal "big" center that we want but he's 100x the player that Arcobello is, plus we could have had Purcell for free since he was getting bought out. Mac T made our team worse the night he traded Gagner without a plan to bring in another NHL center.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Vets are fine as long as they're good veterans.

I haven't noticed Purcell at all this year.

But hey, trading a center (even a crappy one) and replacing him with a rookie and an AHLer should be a solid plan!

I know, right? Sell low, grab that buyout candidate, sell some more HOPE!

Hall
Draisaitl
Purcell
Eberle

Close enough! Buy those season tickets! Sell half to your friends and Habs/Leafs fans! We don't care!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Vets are fine as long as they're good veterans.

I haven't noticed Purcell at all this year.

But hey, trading a center (even a crappy one) and replacing him with a rookie and an AHLer should be a solid plan!

I've noticed him lots, but it's almost always preceded by "who the **** is that guy floating around not doing anything? Oh wait, it's Purcell."

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I've noticed him lots, but it's almost always preceded by "who the **** is that guy floating around not doing anything? Oh wait, it's Purcell."

Tampa fans warned us about him. At least Penner played with some passion every 5 or so games. Mac T talks about wanting character guys, Gagner had a ton of character. Heck, he was practically our enforcer for most of his time here.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I wanted Gagner gone and still do...he'd be brutal on this team, let's not kid ourselves

not replacing Gagner at Center is unforgivable IMO...just poor management

Wanting Gags gone, and wanting Purcell nowhere near this team aren't mutually exclusive. It was time for Gags to go, but Purcell is worse. I wonder how much MacT actually shopped Gags since Maloney jumped in immediately to try and get him from Tampa, when he heard about the deal

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Gagner, Arco, Draisaitl...it doesnt matter one bit right now. We play in the Pacific, land of Kopitar/Carter, Getzlaf/Kessler, Jumbo/Mini/Couture, and some guy named Henrik, all of whom run our show EVERY time we play them. SJ has a spoil of riches at Centre, dominate regular seasons, and STILL cant make it count in the playoffs. Shows us just how far the oilers really are from success.

The decision to move Gagner without replacing him with a respectable 2nd line centre was the organization giving up on the player. Expecting Leon to fill the role as a 19 year old is asinine. This organization will succeed only when Leon matures in to a solid 2C. Could be next year, could be 5 years from now. Success will not be had in this division without a dominant 1-2 punch down the middle.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Wanting Gags gone, and wanting Purcell nowhere near this team aren't mutually exclusive. It was time for Gags to go, but Purcell is worse. I wonder how much MacT actually shopped Gags since Maloney jumped in immediately to try and get him from Tampa, when he heard about the deal

I'm sure we could have traded Gagner(salary retained) + Hendricks for a 6th or 7th round pick. Because that's esentially what TB did.

Purcell was a much better option than that, and he has been better this season than Gagner was last season and better than Gagner has been for Arizona this season despite Sammy getting the most sheltered minutes possible.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well we know he didn't shop Smid. Elliot Freidman said all the Gm's he talked to didn't know he was on the market. It was speculated that Mactavish did the deal because he wanted Broissolt. Did it even occur to him he may have been able to get a better deal if he looked around? I suspect that Gagner was dealt to Tampa because Mactavish really wanted Purcell and he had tunnel vision there as well.

Mactavish is starting to look like a guy that gets too focused on one objective and can't see anything else. He doesn't seem to understand that everything is constantly changing around him and because of that always seems to fall further and further behind. I don't think he's much of a big picture guy.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well we know he didn't shop Smid. Elliot Freidman said all the Gm's he talked to didn't know he was on the market. It was speculated that Mactavish did the deal because he wanted Broissolt. Did it even occur to him he may have been able to get a better deal if he looked around? I suspect that Gagner was dealt to Tampa because Mactavish really wanted Purcell and he had tunnel vision there as well.

Mactavish is starting to look like a guy that gets too focused on one objective and can't see anything else. He doesn't seem to understand that everything is constantly changing around him and because of that always seems to fall further and further behind. I don't think he's much of a big picture guy.

Also detected is that MacT prefers those that he see's are like himself. A major bias and with him actually stating this in the Eakins hire. :amazed:

Of course as a coach MacT had also preferred several nondescript players on the basis of them being like himself either on ice or otherwise.

I wonder if he is even aware how much of a polarized opinion this sets himself up for.

Its been an ongoing saga with him. I think we kind of forgot about his overt preferential tendencies due to him not being a coach anymore.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Ummm it was reported for months that Gagner could be or was on the block. Do you and The Nuge not remember all the talk of Gagner to LA that drug on forever and never went through because Lombardi wanted MacT to retain salary.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ummm it was reported for months that Gagner could be or was on the block. Do you and The Nuge not remember all the talk of Gagner to LA that drug on forever and never went through because Lombardi wanted MacT to retain salary.

It was also reported that Maloney wanted Gagner, but they couldn't get a deal done. If MacT retained a little salary, I don't see why we couldn't land a useful player like Korpikoski, instead getting a plug, buyout candidate

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It was also reported that Maloney wanted Gagner, but they couldn't get a deal done. If MacT retained a little salary, I don't see why we couldn't land a useful player like Korpikoski, instead getting a plug, buyout candidate

Maloney gave up a late pick for Gagner (salary retained) and Crombeen.

Gagner had zero value. It's very easy to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad