Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Klim Kostin for Dmitri Samorukov

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm curious, and this is directed to Blues fans. I see that Kostin just last year was the runaway winner in the Blues prospect thread over guys like Neighbours (who I think is a pretty high end prospect) and Bolduc. Has he really fallen off that much in one year to go from promising prospect to clearing waivers?

As for Samorukov, he looked great in his final OHL season and had a really good season in the KHL a few years back as a shutdown guy but injuries really derailed him the last few years so he regressed as a result. I still had hopes that he'd be a full time NHLer but fell behind in the numbers game with the defensive depth in the Oilers system.

Most people weight perceived NHL readiness in those prospect polls and that's literally all it reflects.

Bolduc, Snuggerud and Neighbours are all much better prospects along with quite a few others. Kostin has had underwhelming numbers his entire NA pro career. When he was drafted he had a choice on where to play and he chose poorly despite his advisors recommending other routes. He could have played with Moose Jaw in the WHL, stayed in Russia through his D+2(my personal preference) or go straight to the AHL. He chose straight to the AHL. Now I'm not blaming his outcome on that decision but it didn't do his development any favors.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'm curious, and this is directed to Blues fans. I see that Kostin just last year was the runaway winner in the Blues prospect thread over guys like Neighbours (who I think is a pretty high end prospect) and Bolduc. Has he really fallen off that much in one year to go from promising prospect to clearing waivers?

As for Samorukov, he looked great in his final OHL season and had a really good season in the KHL a few years back as a shutdown guy but injuries really derailed him the last few years so he regressed as a result. I still had hopes that he'd be a full time NHLer but fell behind in the numbers game with the defensive depth in the Oilers system.

Even in that poll thread, you can see several regular posters, especially ones who watch AHL games, who always were down on Kostin. It was before preseason began. Neighbours hadn't earned his 9 game trial and Bolduc had just been selected. Fans were queasy about both of those selections. Neighbours was widely viewed as a low-ceiling "truculence" sort of pick by fans who are only interested in dynamic homerun prospects, and Bolduc was believed to be a reach people didn't know much about. The handful of fans who actually follow prospects prior to the draft had their hearts set on other guys and that kind of drove the narrative. They both had big seasons after that.

So, Kostin's perception is not that clear-cut and perhaps says more about fans' inability to judge other prospects. You've definitely spent enough time around here to have realized how distorted fan polls can become. Blues' fans here, for example, have never been settled on whether the top prospect is the one with the most potential or the one who is closest to the NHL. Sometimes votes on polls lean very hard in one direction or another in that regard.

However, yea, Kostin's stock really did fall off in a lot of fans' minds during that time, mostly because they got to see him play a lot more. It's one thing to see a raw kid get some shifts and hope for his development, it's another to see him play more regularly and not just fail to improve, but seemingly get worse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Those polls just heavily favor guys that are close to being ready. He was also coming off a run in the KHL where his coach, Marc Crawford was raving about him. I think the belief was that he turned the corner in his development and was ready to be a top 9 power forward for 21/22, and that didn't happen.

It's not really that he fell off, he is who he always was, there was just a lot of false hope last summer with him. He's just way too inconsistent on his engagement. He can be a solid physical player when he's on, but when he's off, there's really not much he can do to benefit a team.

If you ignore the fact that he was a 1st round pick, there really wasn't anything since he was drafted to believe that he'd develop into a solid NHL player. It was all cope thinking he'd eventually realize his potential because power forwards take longer to develop.
Thanks for the rundown. As an Oilers fan, we've been living on "False Hope" for the last 15 years so I can certainly relate.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Pretty sure the blues got bounced earlier than the oilers last year
The Blues were the only team that gave Colorado a run for their money and it took kadri running Bennington for them to beat us. Blues were out in game six of the second round. When did edm go out

Reactions: CycloneSweep

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Koekkoek is on leave from the team for mental health reasons. So he's not factored into the depth chart at all right now. But even with that, Samorukov stood slotting in at 9th in the Oilers depth chart for d-men. 10th if Demers ends up signing a deal out of his PTO (still hasn't been released).

Not that there was a massive amount to choose from between him, Niemelainen and Broberg. I think this is just a change of scenery move for all parties involved. Not just the teams, but the players too. I didn't actually mind Samorukov in the pre-season. There unfortunately just wasn't room for him and he hasn't quite made the progress Oiler fans had hoped he'd make. I don't think that necessarily makes him a bust.

Ahhh, i didn't realize Koekkoek was MIA. That seems like it'd make it even more relevant to have that extra rung of defensive depth with Samorukov though. But i guess not every team tends to go through a dozen defencemen every year like the Canucks.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
remember back when Samorukov was untouchable here? 😼
Literally came here to post something similar :laugh:

When Samorukov was looking like he the upside of top line dman and how he would have been a mid/high 1st rounder in a re-draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueTacos

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think Edmonton is going for the Val Nichushkin style reclamation here, but you put a big body defenseman who can play a role on a good program like St. Louis I think the chances of the Blues building a useful player is good.

He’s definitely got the tools to be a top 6 forward. But I don’t know if it’s iq or just not meshing with the way the Blues are wanting him to play, but he’s been essentially a ghost while here aside from a couple games.

If Edmonton can get him comfortable in a role he could definitely turn out to be a very good power forward style player. He just never seemed like he was in the game flow of 90% of the games he played for the Blues or the AHL this past season for that matter

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Lol do what you are saying is oilers defense is better than blues.... so why do oilers get bounced early every year from playoffs. Cause they don't play a defense first game.
I'm saying that despite you saying the Blues play a superior 200 foot game it hasn't manifested itself in superior goals against or superior shot suppression recently.

If the Blues were coming off a top ten season in goals against and shot suppression you would have a good argument. But that isn't the case. They were pretty run and gun all last season. Scored a lot and gave up a tonne back the other way. Kind of like the team you are throwing barbs at.

Reactions: spaghtti and snipes

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't know it I believe that. Can you show that proposal? I do believe that Oiler fans would have made proposals including Samurkov but there were probably other more significant pieces involved.
Feel like there was one idiot blues fan on main boards that kept making silly trades where we would get samurkov and 1st for Parayko or whomever. Not sure it was many oilers fans really pushing it as reasonable return for one of our stars.

Reactions: bucks_oil and voxel

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Samo was overrated by Oilers fans? That’s news to this Oilers fan. If anything he’s been unrated, good or bad, just a prospect that never made a mark.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ahhh, i didn't realize Koekkoek was MIA. That seems like it'd make it even more relevant to have that extra rung of defensive depth with Samorukov though. But i guess not every team tends to go through a dozen defencemen every year like the Canucks.

Yeah... the Koekkoek story is a bummer. The kid was playing pretty well but then had this massive concussion (as well as a broken collarbone). Given all the studies out there linking concussion with depression and other mental health issues, you have to worry that he's been struggling. Hopefully he rests up and the fog lifts.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Samo was overrated by Oilers fans? That’s news to this Oilers fan. If anything he’s been unrated, good or bad, just a prospect that never made a mark.
There was some hope for him for awhile because he was basically our only shut down defensive prospect with a shot at making it, but I think everyone knew that if he made it, it would be as a depth piece. Nobody ever argued that he was going to be some major impact player.

Reactions: Homesick

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Those polls just heavily favor guys that are close to being ready. He was also coming off a run in the KHL where his coach, Marc Crawford was raving about him. I think the belief was that he turned the corner in his development and was ready to be a top 9 power forward for 21/22, and that didn't happen.

It's not really that he fell off, he is who he always was, there was just a lot of false hope last summer with him. He's just way too inconsistent on his engagement. He can be a solid physical player when he's on, but when he's off, there's really not much he can do to benefit a team.

If you ignore the fact that he was a 1st round pick, there really wasn't anything since he was drafted to believe that he'd develop into a solid NHL player. It was all cope thinking he'd eventually realize his potential because power forwards take longer to develop.

Sounds similar to Samurokov. He had the one great season (Draft +1 I think), and I think everyone just had high expectations based on that season. His development just seemed to stall after that. I think theres a player with some potential there but the Oilers have quite a few D prospects either ahead of him or around him. Hopefully its a trade that works out for both teams.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Thanks for the rundown. As an Oilers fan, we've been living on "False Hope" for the last 15 years so I can certainly relate.

Kostin was also coming off a great playoffs in Russia. An average season, but upped his game in the post season and was very physical and productive. However, he never seemed to get that in the NHL last year.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I don't know it I believe that. Can you show that proposal? I do believe that Oiler fans would have made proposals including Samurkov but there were probably other more significant pieces involved.
wasn't my proposal.. and it was def a thing. just had to read the boards

I get it, EDM fans were very high on him, but it was stretch to say the least

and Sam wasn't the only prospect getting overvaluated. it happens on many fan boards

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
wasn't my proposal.. and it was def a thing. just had to read the boards

I get it, EDM fans were very high on him, but it was stretch to say the least

and Sam wasn't the only prospect getting overvaluated. it happens on many fan boards
BS. I could see a homer trying to pass off Nurse, Klefbom or maybe even Bouchard but not Samorukov.
I think Samorukov could become a serviceable NHL'er but most likely he along with Kostin won't even play 100 NHL games

Reactions: voxel and capazzo

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
BS. I could see a homer trying to pass off Nurse, Klefbom or maybe even Bouchard but not Samorukov.
I think Samorukov could become a serviceable NHL'er but most likely he along with Kostin won't even play 100 NHL games
lol I don't care if ya believe it or not, it was def a thing. read some other posts saying the same thing

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
breaking news: players stock drops after 2 years of no development

I also remember when Romanov was untouchable. what happened to him?
When a 2nd rounder gets traded for #13th OA after ~120 NHL games (in my book i view it as Romanov for Dach which is even better than the initial trade, that's the main deal he negotiated), i'd say that's a good win when it comes to assessing his added value based on his play :laugh:

Going from untouchable to Klim Kostin is a different story. Ofc there's no real untouchable but at the very least be in the same ballpark, when you go from untouchable to basically waiver fodder that's just a bad look. Arguing back is even funnier, take the banter like a man and move on. Dish it out in the future too bud, it's fair game. If people are gonna make clown statements hold them accountable.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad