Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PIT] Justin Schultz (50% ret.) for PIT 3rd '16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Really guys? A personal day, come on. He was bad enough for us by the end that we don't need to make stuff up to hate on him.

I checked the Pens board because a personal day seemed so ridiculous, and yup - it's visa issues. He's supposedly going to be good to play by Thursday.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Petry and Schultz should never be mentioned in the same sentence. They were completely different D. Petry was dissed by a vocal minority of fans because he didnt hit enough. But the large majority supported as saw he was a good #4 or #3, the advanced stats backed him up too

Schultz was nowhere near that level. He came in hot after a dominant AHL season and had a good 1st year (which was lockout shortened). But he blew chunks in his second year. he hit NHL adversity on a regular basis and crumbled. No longer was he the big dog in NCAA or AHL and had to actually go in the corner and battle

Fact of the matter, they both could have benefited from extra time in the minors and a supporting cast that didn't throw them out for 20+ minutes per night in all situations. Could also include Yakapov and Dubnyk in this as well. Our development system has been abysmal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fact of the matter, they both could have benefited from extra time in the minors and a supporting cast that didn't throw them out for 20+ minutes per night in all situations. Could also include Yakapov and Dubnyk in this as well. Our development system has been abysmal.

Klefbom played 14 more AHL games than him and stepped into a role not unlike his. Hell Klefbom and Schultz were paired together all last year

we did him zero favours with where we put him in the line up, but he did himself zero favours either by not trying out there

Gilbert and Petry also developed in exact enviroment

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't think it was the role that failed him, where we screwed up with Schultz was the Eakins swarm.

His defensive awareness still hasn't recovered, and it might never.

His general laziness and how soft he is is all on him though. I doubt it's fixable.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm just glad he's gone. I was willing to give him a couple years to to become a top D Man but it just never happened. I wish the Oilers had kept Tom Gilbert and never got Schultz but it's easy to criticize in hindsight. Hopefully in the off season or the draft we'll get great d-man.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
From the trade forum it sounds like he had a good game. (Can anybody confirm?)

Hopefully he goes on a tear, it might drive up value for other guys this summer.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
From the trade forum it sounds like he had a good game. (Can anybody confirm?)

Hopefully he goes on a tear, it might drive up value for other guys this summer.

I thought he played well. He looked good activating in the rushes on a few plays. He seemed a overwhelmed physically (as he normally does) but it didn't cost him big in any way could have been different on any different night though. He played just above 16 mins in that game. If he plays in a limited and sheltered role he can succeed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought he played well. He looked good activating in the rushes on a few plays. He seemed a overwhelmed physically (as he normally does) but it didn't cost him big in any way could have been different on any different night though. He played just above 16 mins in that game. If he plays in a limited and sheltered role he can succeed.

I agree wholeheartedly and have been saying as much for a long time now.

Schultz was brutally mismanaged on this team primarily due to an appalling lack of depth on their D. He was played too much too quickly.

In a sheltered role Schultz will succeed IMO and it will help him find his offensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad