Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PIT] Justin Schultz (50% ret.) for PIT 3rd '16

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
There's so much more structure without Jultz. This also gives Oesterle a chance to shine and he has looked pretty decent thus far.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Honestly, while I was fine with the boos when he played like garbage, it's over. The fans need to let it die.

This. No need to torment him. Wishing him the best of luck wherever he goes. Thanks for signing with us over 29 other teams. Too bad it didn't work out.

Cheers

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Classy move. As a hockey player I certainly did not appreciate many of his plays but hopefully he finds his game in Pittsburgh or wherever his career takes him. Best of luck Justin! :)

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Classy move. As a hockey player I certainly did not appreciate many of his plays but hopefully he finds his game in Pittsburgh or wherever his career takes him. Best of luck Justin! :)

Agreed. Him choosing Edmonton was a pretty huge deal too. It just didn't work out, but eh, no point in crying over it now. I guess you can look at this way ... in a way we likely don't have McDavid or Draisaitl without him. Maybe all that happened for a reason.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Very classy was feeling bad for the kid already. He needed this fresh start real bad.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
This guy has been poison on the Oilers for so long, glad to see him go for your franchises sake

lolz.... management POISONED the organization for over a decade.

they BROUGHT IN Schultz. THEY scouted him and threw the bank at him.

and then had a HORRENDOUS infrastructure to bring him into with terrible coaches and player base.

im not trying to defend the dudes crap play...

but holy crap, there is something severely wrong at a fundamental level with this org that is so poisoned to the core - for so long... that trying to blame one player is ********

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee

that's great but it's easy to be classy when youre escaping to somewhere else.

weight of the world is off his shoulders now and he can attempt to reset.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008

and then had a HORRENDOUS infrastructure to bring him into with terrible coaches and player base.

but holy crap, there is something severely wrong at a fundamental level with this org that is so poisoned to the core - for so long... that trying to blame one player is ********

This is POISONING the forum :sarcasm:

Everyone wanted Shultz out of college, there's nothing fundamentally wrong in picking up highly touted free players :shakehead

Sure they paid him too much, but were teased by the domination he showed in AHL. Maybe they failed to surround him with what he needed, but the org had bigger problems than coddling a single player.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Didnt prevent Klefbom or Davidson from thriving. With Schultz it was work ethic. You could have given him Weber as a d partner and put him on 3rd pairing. If you dont try on the ice, you cant be helped

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Jultz a healthy scratch his first game on the Pens roster. Didn't take long for the coaching staff to figure out what they got. :laugh:

It feels so good the Oilers are on the winning side of a 'what was xxx GM thinking' trade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Jultz a healthy scratch his first game on the Pens roster. Didn't take long for the coaching staff to figure out what they got. :laugh:

It feels so good the Oilers are on the winning side of a 'what was xxx GM thinking' trade.
I read somewhere he took a personal day

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I read somewhere he took a personal day

Took a day off?

Could've been in the lineup, who would notice the difference?

lmfao

What kind of NHL player takes a "personal day off" after a trade especially when he already had several days off in a row and knew he should be packing his bags.

Typical Schultz diligence.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Took a day off?

lmfao

What kind of NHL player takes a "personal day off" after a trade especially when he already had several days off in a row and knew he should be packing his bags.

Remember Pittsburgh,
Yeg3p3k.jpg

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Whenever Schultz has sat our team has looked infinitely better, even in losses. He was an addition by subtraction.

Regardless if he puts up points and turns his game around in Pits, he never would have done that here without the structure he apparently needs. He isn't/wasn't the type of guy to elevate his game with less. Do we even want potential "core" players like that here? Look at the gems that have sprouted from the weeds, Davidson this year and possibly Oesterle (whom I was never high on) but has looked good.

Schultz is exactly as we have seen him. Great skater, terrible head on his shoulders and always makes the soft play.

He needed to go, go fast for my twitter timelines sake too.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Took a day off?

lmfao

True. First thing that came to my mind is he's catching up on his laundry first before leaving. No one likes packing with dirty clothes.:laugh: It's almost always the next game that a trade pickup plays.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I know its not standard practice but it seems there are an abundance of personal reasons following a trade to take an extra day off... I actually find it surprising it doesn't happen more often. If I were a coach this wouldn't bother me, unless the team was absolutely desperate for that acquisition... Its not like Schultz is make or break for them today.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005

I agree with this. We saw it to an extent with Gilbert and Petry too. They rushed these guys in, gave them #1/#2 dmen icetime, threw them out in every situation, and wondered why they faltered. Next thing you know, their confidence goes and the fans are booing them. Schultz looked pretty good here, his first season or two, and if used properly he could've been a good asset.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Didnt prevent Klefbom or Davidson from thriving. With Schultz it was work ethic. You could have given him Weber as a d partner and put him on 3rd pairing. If you dont try on the ice, you cant be helped

Not every player is the same. I'd hazard to guess that Klefbom and to a much greater extent Davidson spent a bit more time in development than Schultz did. And, let's not hype up Davidson too much just yet. He's looked really good his last 10 or so games but lets see how he does over the course of an entire season getting #2 dmen icetime.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not every player is the same. I'd hazard to guess that Klefbom and to a much greater extent Davidson spent a bit more time in development than Schultz did. And, let's not hype up Davidson too much just yet. He's looked really good his last 10 or so games but lets see how he does over the course of an entire season getting #2 dmen icetime.

Schultz debuted in the NHL at nearly same age after 4 years in NCAA and 40 games in AHL. He was 21-22

But again, doesnt change the fact he didnt put effort in. Thats the inexcusable part. I feel bad he was put in a spot over his head, but plenty of other D around the league are. Jultz failed himself with no effort

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I agree with this. We saw it to an extent with Gilbert and Petry too. They rushed these guys in, gave them #1/#2 dmen icetime, threw them out in every situation, and wondered why they faltered. Next thing you know, their confidence goes and the fans are booing them. Schultz looked pretty good here, his first season or two, and if used properly he could've been a good asset.

Petry and Schultz should never be mentioned in the same sentence. They were completely different D. Petry was dissed by a vocal minority of fans because he didnt hit enough. But the large majority supported as saw he was a good #4 or #3, the advanced stats backed him up too

Schultz was nowhere near that level. He came in hot after a dominant AHL season and had a good 1st year (which was lockout shortened). But he blew chunks in his second year. he hit NHL adversity on a regular basis and crumbled. No longer was he the big dog in NCAA or AHL and had to actually go in the corner and battle

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Took a day off?

lmfao

:laugh:

Like calling in sick on your first day of work. Way to win over your new teammates, Justin.

Any other NHLer would be on a red eye flight arrive 20 minutes before game time and play with their numbers half sewn on their jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad