Proposal: EDM - OTT - COL

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Would Edmonton fans rather trade Klefbom or the 10th overall? I think both pieces are similar in value and obviously require a decent plus to get Barrie but nothing too crazy, definitely not both together. Same question for Ottawa fans, would you rather the 10th or Kelfbom? I think a deal can be worked out here.

From the Avs perspective Barrie and that 2019 1st (while also taking Ryan) should be close enough in value without having to include an asset like the 16th overall or Timmins IMO. Barrie is worth two 1st rounders by himself, that 2019 1st is probably the most valuable piece Ottawa will ever get offered, and taking on a retained Ryan has the negative value of a 1st rounder. Something like

Edm: Barrie
Ott: 2019 1st, 10th overall, Yamamoto, Russel
Colorado: Karlsson + Ryan @ 5

Is what I would offer. There’s no team other than the Avs that can take Ryan + Karlsson while also giving up a piece like the 2019 1st, it’s probably the most valuable 2019 1st rounder in the whole league. I know it sucks for Ottawa to have to trade a franchise dman to get back their 1st but this is one of the only trades I’ve ever seen that actually has a chance of Ottawa winning the deal. No team will knowingly trade a franchise player away (the only way Ottawa can win while trading EK), the only way to get one is to draft high. The only team that has a 2019 1st with a high chance of drafting top 5, and would be willing to trade it IMO, is Colorado, as it doesn’t make sense for a Vancouver or a Detroit to want to trade their pick for Karlsson.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
It could work but Edmonton needs to get a lot more back. Maybe switch Nurse to Klefbom, too. Here's a re-jig:

To :edmonton:
Tyson Barrie
Mike Hoffman
2019 COL 2nd pick

Edmonton in: Barrie, Hoffman, COL 2nd 2019
Edmonton out: Klefbom + 10th

To :sens:
2018 Oilers 1st pick (10th OA)
2018 AVS 2nd pick (47th OA)
2019 Sens 1st pick (their own pick returned)
J.T Compher
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

Ottawa in: 10thOV 2018, 47thOV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, Klefbom, Compher, Timmins
Ottawa 0ut: Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan

To :avs:
Erik Karlsson (with verbal agreement to extend)
Bobby Ryan

Colorado in: Karlsson, Ryan
Colorado out: Barrie, Compher, Timmins, 47 OV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, COL 2nd 2019

Big fat no.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If the Oilers are giving up Klefbom and 10th overall they may as well just figure out what else needs to be added and go after Karlsson.

Avs can keep Barrie.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think Edmonton needs to be included. That muddies things up.

I think there could be a Karlsson-Ryan to Colorado for Ottawa’s first and some other futures that could be beneficial to everyone. Move Barrie separately, if needed. Might be nice to have too many good defensemen for a bit though.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I've said it in other threads, but apparently I need to say it here. The Avs got to where they are right now by drafting well, and letting the youngsters earn playing time. We barely squeaked into the playoffs. I still see question marks up and down the lineup. Spending these kinds of assets to upgrade one of our better players when we have so many other areas we still need to fill with someone capable, would be stupid.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I've said it in other threads, but apparently I need to say it here. The Avs got to where they are right now by drafting well, and letting the youngsters earn playing time. We barely squeaked into the playoffs. I still see question marks up and down the lineup. Spending these kinds of assets to upgrade one of our better players when we have so many other areas we still need to fill with someone capable, would be stupid.

agree. We need to add depth and play the young kids to find out who the keepers are and who can be packaged in a trade. This is like after Roy took over as coach and we played above our talent level and had no big injuries that year and won the central. Then made stupid trades and FA signings that set us back cause the front office thought we were a contender. We were very flawed and everything that went right that year did.

Stay the course. If we are going to trade. It should be for FORWARD help. Center / Winger for the 2nd line to take pressure off the Mack line. With players around the age as of core. No older than 25 or 26. EK is great. But we are not at that stage yet where we are expected to challenge for the cup. And start playing a 29 year old 12+ million till he is 37. (he will be 29 when his new contract starts)

keep the kids. Maybe after the 2018/19 season we will have an understanding of what we need. Now if we would be lucky enough to sign a JT in Free Agency that only takes money. Sign me up. or a John Carlson ok. Then we could flip Barrie for forward help. But no reason to deplete the assets we have when we can get similar players for "Free"

Just my two cents.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I can't see either the AVs or Oilers accepting this deal.

EK for Sens 1st + AVs 1st + AVS 2nd + Barrie + Timmins (no chance offered too much)

Barrie for Klefboom + EDM 1st (not likely with the high pick)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What a god awful trade for Col, a debatably bad trade for Edm and a haul for Ott that shows a complete and total disconnect with reality. If you're someone who finds these things a fun challenge in theoretical value balance then go wild, but do so realizing there is nothing realistic about this in the slightest and is pure fantasy.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We have to pay all this AND STILL take on bobby Ryan?

I mean not only is EK only worth half of that at best but at least he is also too old to be part of the teams core and the deal completely goes against everything the Avs are trying to do. Who needs to worry about good planning when you can just get a good player?

Has Van also considered moving Horvat, Pettersen and this years 1st for EK as well?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
agree. We need to add depth and play the young kids to find out who the keepers are and who can be packaged in a trade. This is like after Roy took over as coach and we played above our talent level and had no big injuries that year and won the central. Then made stupid trades and FA signings that set us back cause the front office thought we were a contender. We were very flawed and everything that went right that year did.

Stay the course. If we are going to trade. It should be for FORWARD help. Center / Winger for the 2nd line to take pressure off the Mack line. With players around the age as of core. No older than 25 or 26. EK is great. But we are not at that stage yet where we are expected to challenge for the cup. And start playing a 29 year old 12+ million till he is 37. (he will be 29 when his new contract starts)

keep the kids. Maybe after the 2018/19 season we will have an understanding of what we need. Now if we would be lucky enough to sign a JT in Free Agency that only takes money. Sign me up. or a John Carlson ok. Then we could flip Barrie for forward help. But no reason to deplete the assets we have when we can get similar players for "Free"

Just my two cents.

Personally, I don't want the Avs to sign Tavares or Carlson either. We're going to be adding $15-20m to our cap next off-season, just by signing our RFAs. The year after that, Jost and Girard will need new contracts, and Barrie's extension will kick in (assuming he's still here). I'd rather keep building for the long term, and have the budget to do it, rather than trying to force some short term success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad