I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
To :edmonton:

Tyson Barrie

To :sens:

2018 Oilers 1st pick (10th OA)
2018 AVS 2nd pick (47th OA)
2019 Sens 1st pick (their own pick returned)
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

To :avs:

Erik Karlsson (with verbal agreement to extend)

Oilers get one of the best offensive RHD in the game.

Sens get a huge haul here...with two 1st round picks (one top 10 and one more than likely in the top 10 as well), a 2nd rounder, a good young roster dman and a blue chip prospect defenseman.

AVS get Erik Karlsson

Edit: changed Nurse for Klefbom.

Last edited:

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Oilers get bent over, I definitely wouldn't trade Nurse for Barrie and I'm not sure if I'd do 10th straight up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Had a similar proposal earlier on in the year that may have been a little rough on Colorado, but something like this is probably closer to what would make sense for Edmonton...

:avs
D Karlsson
LW Lucic
EDM 2019 3rd

:sens
D Klefbom
LW Wilson
RD Timmins
OTT 2019 1st (via COL)
Conditional COL 2020 1st (Karlsson re-signing)

:edmonton
RD Barrie
RW Ryan ($1.5m retained)

No chance they move Darnell.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It could work but Edmonton needs to get a lot more back. Maybe switch Nurse to Klefbom, too. Here's a re-jig:

Tyson Barrie
Mike Hoffman
2019 COL 2nd pick

Edmonton in: Barrie, Hoffman, COL 2nd 2019
Edmonton out: Klefbom + 10th

J.T Compher
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

Ottawa in
: 10thOV 2018, 47thOV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, Klefbom, Compher, Timmins
Ottawa 0ut: Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan

Bobby Ryan

Colorado in: Karlsson, Ryan
Colorado out: Barrie, Compher, Timmins, 47 OV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, COL 2nd 2019

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Had a similar proposal earlier on in the year that may have been a little rough on Colorado, but something like this is probably closer to what would make sense for Edmonton...

:avs
D Karlsson
LW Lucic
EDM 2019 3rd

:sens
D Klefbom
LW Wilson
RD Timmins
OTT 2019 1st (via COL)
Conditional COL 2020 1st (Karlsson re-signing)

:edmonton
RD Barrie
RW Ryan ($1.5m retained)

No chance they move Darnell.

So you think Klefbom + Lucic + 3rd is worth Barrie + Ryan?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It could work but Edmonton needs to get a lot more back. Maybe switch Nurse to Klefbom, too. Here's a re-jig:

You added WAY too many pieces to make it even slightly realistic. Also, leave the bad contracts out of this deal. I'm OK to replace Nurse with Klefbom in the OP (and I'm doing it).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
You added WAY too many pieces to make it even slightly realistic. Also, leave the bad contracts out of this deal. I'm OK to replace Nurse with Klefbom in the OP (and I'm doing it).

11 pieces in a 3-way Karlsson trade is realistic, imo, as is the inclusion of some players for contract's sake.

The rumored deal with Vegas was 7 pieces (between 2 teams), the actual Duchene deal was 9 pieces. There's also been wide speculation that Ryan will be moved out in the Karlsson deal. Your critiques don't really jive with history (breadth of 3-way trades with big-name players) or the vast majority of speculation (Karlsson trade would have many, many pieces and might include a contract going with him).

Avs would rather keep the Jack Hughes pick, I'm guessing.

Colorado would thrive with a top DMan and besides, even if you could see the future and guarantee that Ottawa finishes last, they would still have a less than 50% chance of even picking top 3.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

It a lot damn closer then the OP

Lucic = Ryan ...might give the edge to Lucic but it close

Klefbom had a down year because of his shoulder . Comparing his 2016/2017 season to Barrie it is close . Depending on team needs . I could see some taking Klefbom over Barrie . Base on this year Barrie >>> Klefbom and there is risk with any injured player with a history of injuries . I think Edmonton would have to add something for the risk factor . A 3rd isn't enough , the 10th OA is too much

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Barrie and Klefbom are nowhere near in terms of value. At no point in time was he near as good as Barrie has been this past season, and it's not that Barrie got good suddenly, he has been a top 5 ES producer from the backend since the last lockout. As for Klefbom's shoulder issues, are we to pretend this is something new and isolated to this past season? No one without a horse in the race will take Klefbom over Barrie.

And the Avs aren't trading Barrie, Timmins, a 2nd rounder and a pick that could potentially end up being Hughes or Kakko for the privilege to pay EK 12mil per year. Trade the guy who had the 2nd highest ppg average out of all D behind only Karlsson, and who on his own could fetch a bounty and two blue-chip prospects, with potential 40-50 pick thrown in for good measure? They would be insane to do so, no matter how good EK is. I'd rather give Carlson 10mil than do this trade.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Tyson Barrie
Mike Hoffman
2019 COL 2nd pick

Edmonton in: Barrie, Hoffman, COL 2nd 2019
Edmonton out: Klefbom + 10th

J.T Compher
Oscar Klefbom
Connor Timmins

Ottawa in
: 10thOV 2018, 47thOV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, Klefbom, Compher, Timmins
Ottawa 0ut: Karlsson, Hoffman, Ryan

Bobby Ryan

Colorado in: Karlsson, Ryan
Colorado out: Barrie, Compher, Timmins, 47 OV 2018, OTT 1st 2019, COL 2nd 2019
This one makes sense, OP is horrible however. But, I'm not sure I'd even do this one because of Hoffman's batshit crazy gf.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Without question. Again, team control is incredibly valuable in the salary cap era. What's happening with Tyson Barrie in two years? Is he going to ask for a ridiculous raise because his game leans towards offense resulting in him putting up significant numbers? Klefbom is signed to one of the better contracts for defensemen out there today, which fits Ottawa's needs like a glove.

And as was mentioned before, Lucic probably holds more value to another team than Bobby Ryan does. Especially if this deal were to occur after July 1st, when his $3.5m signing bonus is paid out, averaging out his AAV to $4.5m.

No more damned 3-ways. It never works out well for Ottawa.

I can't tell if you're joking. That return is really, really good for them.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Avs say no, to each of deals above...

And the difference between Barrie and Karlsson is most certainly not Timmins, Compher, OTT’s ‘19 1st, COL’s ‘18 2nd and ‘19 2nd PLUS taking Ryan’s horrendous contract back too....what an awful proposal

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Sadly Ottawa if trading EK should not be watering down any deal by including ryan. Unfortunately our owner is broke and that will likely be the case. If we trade EK and Hoffman we are in full rebuild mode, keep the dead weight around and do the opposite (acquire bad contracts for picks / prospects) and rebuild right. My confidence level that this happens is close to zero

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->