Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Josh Archibald (1 year, 1M)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
well I'd argue that Ontario & QC have a bigger claim to the "heartland of hockey" moniker, but I do agree there's a significant place on the landscape for the West and that the Oilers being good is good for the game. The best player in the league is one that people want to see making lasting highlights deep into the playoffs

You guys have the “Mecca” claims and the claims to the best players of all time. No debate, the East has the greatest players claims.

We have Gordie Howe, Eddie Shore, Bobby Clarke, Tiger Williams, Wendel Clark, Mark Messier, Dave “The Hammer” Schultz, etc.

That “heart and soul” play until the last minute culture is deeply embedded in our hockey culture.

The Western Canadian prairie Provinces are the Heartland of Hockey.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You guys have the “Mecca” claims and the claims to the best players of all time. No debate, the East has the greatest players claims.

We have Gordie Howe, Eddie Shore, Bobby Clarke, Tiger Williams, Wendel Clark, Mark Messier, Dave “The Hammer” Schultz, etc.

That “heart and soul” play until the last minute culture is deeply embedded in our hockey culture.

The Western Canadian prairie Provinces are the Heartland of Hockey.
I meant it more that there's more history here with the original 6 teams rather than players

but no doubt there's a lot of gritty Western players, lots of the Hartnell mold

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yep, as bad as Kassian was to start the season, he was very good to finish it. He didn't like being buried on the fourth line and asked for a trade at one point, but to his credit instead of sulking he pulled up his socks, went to work, earned more ice time and eventually retracted the request. Some in the organization could learn from him.

He's not very good on PK, but bringing in Granlund and Archibald should mean he shouldn't have to do it as much anymore. I'd actually like to see Kass on PP2 - he's got a nice shot and should use it more.

Hmm I dunno about Kass on PP2 but I’m intrigued by the thought of it.

Adds another right shot to the PP group.

I’d like him the net front presence spot like Holmstrom in the Red Wings heyday rather than the Ovi spot though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hmm I dunno about Kass on PP2 but I’m intrigued by the thought of it.

Adds another right shot to the PP group.

I’d like him the net front presence spot like Holmstrom in the Red Wings heyday rather than the Ovi spot though.

PP2 was a mess last year haha. I hope Gulutzan recognizes that. And yes Kassian would definitely be net-front.

PP1 I would have: Drai, McDavid, RNH, Chiasson, Klefbom
PP2: Benson, Kassian, Gagner, Haas, Persson/Nurse

I never want to see Lucic on a powerplay ever again. His only move is to move OUT of the net front spot, get a stupid pass on the right side of the net and try to hook it in between the goalie's pads. I think it worked once in 2017 and he's tried it every PP since.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I meant it more that there's more history here with the original 6 teams rather than players

but no doubt there's a lot of gritty Western players, lots of the Hartnell mold

We have our own rich history, what about the 1920 Winnipeg Falcons? Dominant Olympic Champions.

We get taught in Western Canada tough, team first hockey. Bobby Clarke changed the 1972 Summit Series when he took out Kharlamov.

We believe out here that we won the Cold War for NA in 1972 by defeating the Soviets and our children learn about this as soon as they are the age of understanding around 4/5 years old.

As usual, the East ignores how important the Western Canadian prairie Provinces are to our Confederation and sport.

The East has the Big 6 and best players of all time sans Gordie, but hockey means something a lot more to us in Western Canada in terms of cultural identity and “who we are” in a way that probably isn’t fully understood.

Maybe it’s the climate we get on the Prairies in Western Canada? Outdoor rinks and that quintessential toughness you find in Western Canadian hockey and our players is something unique.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Capfriendly's updated - one year, one way deal, 1 million cap hit.

CapFriendly is the bomb. They are so fast with this stuff.

1 year at 1 million is just fine. He's a 4th line guy, according to his ice-time in ARZ. But he has looked like there's some scoring potential there. He's like a b-movie version of Connor Brown.

Reactions: snipes

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
PP2 was a mess last year haha. I hope Gulutzan recognizes that. And yes Kassian would definitely be net-front.

I never want to see Lucic on a powerplay ever again. His only move is to move OUT of the net front spot, get a stupid pass on the right side of the net and try to hook it in between the goalie's pads. I think it worked once in 2017 and he's tried it every PP since.
I don't really care what happens with pp2 .

Depending on who makes the team with rookies and what not I wouldn't be adverse to replacing chiasson if anyone with a right shot looks like he has a better one timer.

And if any of the young offensive dmen make the team I'd give them some time on the point but klefbom probably has to get injured or slump before he loses that spot

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I actually thought Nurse was better than Klefbom in the PP1 role.

Both have 100 mph plus shapshots though which is nice.

Anyways, they’re both placeholders until Bouchard is ready in 2020.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
How's his PK ability?

He played about a minute and a half on the PK per game. That's 2nd unit type ice-time. I don't remember seeing him kill penalties when I watched ARZ games last season, which can be a compliment.

He looked like a guy that was just suuuuper happy to be there, if you understand what I mean. He was a try-hard type player, and the results were pretty uneventful.

Reactions: Pointteen

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Great to see Archibald get a deal like this, thought he'd be getting a league minimum type deal. Plays really hard, skates fast and throws the body even though he's undersized. Nice guy to have on your 4th line and maybe he clicks somewhere in the top 9.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Granlund, Jurco, Archibald, Nyguard, Haas

ALL YOUR FOURTH LINER BELONG TO US

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I actually like what Holland's doing. Out of these guys, and Benson, Puljujarvi, and Yamamoto, we should have at least one top-6 winger.

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Benson? - Nuge - Chiasson
A combination of Granlund, Archibald, Puljujarvi, Khaira, Nygard, Jurco, Haas, Lucic, Brodziak, Cave, Marody.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
He played about a minute and a half on the PK per game. That's 2nd unit type ice-time. I don't remember seeing him kill penalties when I watched ARZ games last season, which can be a compliment.

He looked like a guy that was just suuuuper happy to be there, if you understand what I mean. He was a try-hard type player, and the results were pretty uneventful.

Anyone on the PK is a boost. Good to hear! Sounds easy to cheer for.

Reactions: qqaz

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Coyotes fan here:

He's a really fun 4th liner. Pretty fast, always hustling, underrated shot, comes in clutch at the weirdest times. Can lay a big hit for a little guy, pretty feisty. I would've welcomed him back but we may have plans for Merkley to jump in the lineup this year.
Good to hear. I honestly don’t think I had ever heard of the guy, but from the sounds of it, and judging by his numbers last year, he’ll definitely be an upgrade to our bottom 6. Kenny hasn’t made any groundbreaking moves this summer, but he is slowly improving our depth up front.

Reactions: RABBIT

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Decent signing, I like his work ethic and he's always seemed pretty quick on pucks and on the forecheck when I've seen him.

I don't love Holland's work this summer, but there won't be a shortage of NHL bodies at camp this year. If guys like Benson, Marody, or Yamamoto are going to get spots, they're going to have to beat out actual players to get them.

Holland like to do that. Make sure the young players are ready, that's where the "over-ripe" thing comes from.

For better or worse.

---

Good signing for Edmonton, I like his game.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
He's a cheaper replacement for Reider. He was 4th in PK TOI at 1:36pg in ARI which was top PK in the league. 12 goals seems a lot for the role he played. Looks really quick and a like a likable energy guy. Maybe he gets more opportunity in EDM, but even if he doesn't get above fourth line I can see him holding a spot in the starting lineup purely based on his speed and PK ability.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Coyotes fan here:

He's a really fun 4th liner. Pretty fast, always hustling, underrated shot, comes in clutch at the weirdest times. Can lay a big hit for a little guy, pretty feisty. I would've welcomed him back but we may have plans for Merkley to jump in the lineup this year.

Sounds like a good Western Canadian boy from Saskatchewan.

Plays all out every shift and not afraid of physicality.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Holland like to do that. Make sure the young players are ready, that's where the "over-ripe" thing comes from.

For better or worse.

---

Good signing for Edmonton, I like his game.

I like it.

Make Benson, Marody, Maksimov, McLeod, and Lavoie type players who are definite NHLers earn their spot.

Too soon to call Yamamoto a definite NHLer as he needs to be in the top 6.

I want a year like Benson had in the AHLer or better out of Yamamoto before I include him in that group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad